The Black Swan

015

„So, have you decided yet?” I shouted from my bathroom as I was stepping out of the shower. I owed Brian big time, I strongly believed Jenna would’ve killed me if I would be a no-show and knowing me too well, Brian showed up two hours early.

„On what?” I left him annoying the shit out of Buttercup. I warned him he’s no toy and he’ll give him marks, but he didn’t listen to me. He’ll need to face the consequences, see Buttercup didn’t like anyone touching him... ever. He was a cat for crying out loud, they considered themselves gods and not the other way around. The only communication I had with him was when he gave me on of his cat speeches –feed me human and tell me how beautiful I am, or else...

„On playing at the opening... I asked you back at Miami.” And he left me hanging in thin air. Yeah, he told me we’d talk about it later and back then I was sure he would’ve agreed, but now... I really didn’t know. I mean the guy hated the place before it had even opened. I took a towel.

„Can we talk about it some different time?” I knew he was going to say that. The band was down for helping out, but he was this wheel that was slowing the whole parade down.

„That’s what you always say,” I muttered, wrapping myself up in the crimson towel. I wiped the dovey mirror with my palm to take a look at myself. I had bluish circles under my eyes and a very pale complex, but at least my skin was clear, which was nice.

„What are you doing in there?” His voice seemed closer. Oh I don’t know, writing a play for the Broadway, what did he think?

„What do people do in the bathroom, Brian?” I retorted pulling my black lacy panties on. I brushed my bright long hair, which didn’t seem so bright to think about it and blow dried it. Once they were dry, my dreadful roots weren’t that obvious, but I had to dye my hair as soon as possible. Maybe even have a haircut. Yeah, that seemed like a great idea. I thought I could tame these locks, but I once again happened to be wrong.

Once my hair was done, I didn’t look that hideous, but I still needed to put on some make up. Before going on to my face I took the Swarzkopf Stilletto hairspray and sprayed a good amount over my fiery bangs. That was the only hairspray I liked, it was very hard to come by it here in OC, so for the majority of the time I purchased it on ebay. I decided to go all natural today.

„So how’s that your new girl doing?” I picked out a concealer from my make up bag and covered up those unpleasant bags later moving in with the powder, „What was her name again?”

„Lexy... Her name is Lexy. She’s doing fine.” Once the bluish circles had been covered up, my hand reached for the eyeliner to draw thin lines on my upper lids and I finished the whole thing with mascara. Nothing too avangard, nothing too unnoticeable. Perfect. I looked like a human being. Before stepping out of the bathroom I put on the black strapless bra, cause I didn’t know what kind of dress he had gotten me. Or where he’d even got my measurements.

„Now,” I opened the door and he suddenly stopped torturing that fluffy devil and seemed taken aback. Breathless. I rolled my eyes, he surely had seen a girl in her underwear before, I mean... come on. „Let me see that dress.” He moved the package which was laying on the coffe table a bit towards me, still not being able to make a sound. Close your mouth before a little birdy drops it’s present in.

I looked inside the bag and picked out a black, strapless mid length dress. I had been right, he was just too predictable. I undid it and slid in. „Can you do me up, Bri?”

He stood up, getting behind me, placing warm finger’s on my shoulder and moving my fiery hair out of the way. He let his fingers slide down my arm. He moved the zipper very slowly. I still had no idea how could he have bought me just the right size. „Done,” His voice was husky. Charming, Brian, very charming.

I looked at him over my shoulder with a thankful smile ghosting on my lips. I went around the corner to go in my bedroom and see myself in the full length mirror which was standing beside the window. „Oh Bri... The dress... It’s gorgeous.” It was tight in all the right places and this time it seemed I had curves, which I normally didn’t. So that’s why people pay for brand clothing, it makes you look good not like some chinese forgery.

„No, princess, you’re gorgeous.” He leaned against the door frame, looking at me with a satisfied grin on his face.

„I’ll repay you somehow...” I put my palms together as I glanced at the mirror. My hair was falling down at the side’s of my face just the right way, cupping it softly and the make up was just right, as for the dress... well, it was exquisite. Simple, but exquisite.

„Don’t think about it,” He took me by hand and made me do a small turn, „Let me take a better look at you.” Once I was facing him, he wasn’t looking at my dress, nor my hair, he was staring deeply in my eyes. It seemed like he’d found a core of my soul I wasn’t aware of. „You’ll steel all the spotlight away from J. She won’t be happy...” He laughed and pulled me in a hug. I rested my cheek against his chest. Brian Haner was truly my savior. „We have to go out sometime, just you and me...”

„You think so?” I raised my head to look in his wonderful browns. He hadn’t even gone in to his everyday ritual with the eyeliner, which surprised me. His hair wasn’t spiked up, instead it was softly falling over the side of his forehead, which was a nice change.

„So I could see you more often in a dress... No offense, I like your Ryan Gosling PJ’s, but dresses just highlights your...” His eyes dropped to the curve of my breasts, „Personality...”

„You’re an ass...” I laughed pulling away from him, but he was in different thoughts. His fingers snaked around my upper arm, pulling me back and kissing the top of my head. He did that an awful lot lately. I liked it. It was a sweet gesture.

„Just saying out loud what every other pervert has roaming in his mind.” He winked.

„And you think that doesn’t make you a pervert?” I put my arms on my hips, teasing him a bit.

„Certainly not,” His hand touched his chest, I noticed the scratch marks I had warned him about before. They went straight over his ‘Marlboro’ letters, I just hoped Buttercup hadn’t managed to ruin the tattoo. „That makes me an honest man.”

„I warned you, you know...” I pointed out to the rosy lines.

„It’s nothing,”

„So this Lexy,” I started as he leaned against the frame once again. „Is she going to be at this dinner thing?” I opened my closet to take a pair of pump heels and sit down on my king sized bed, eyeing Brian.

„Yeah, but she’s running late. She’s even worse than you.” He grinned as I slipped the shoes on. „So I decided to show with at least one girl by my side.”

„Finally I’ll be able to see who my Brian is dating.”

Your Brian?” He teased on which I just rolled my eyes. „If I’d known you’d say something like that few weeks ago, I would’ve teased you a lot more.”

„I don’t deserve it, asshole.”

„Sure you do, princess.” It surprised me how the way in which he said that word, changed the whole context. He could make it sound sweet, and then again he could make himself sound like a drop-dead asshole.

„So, how do I look?” I got on my feet and spun around once again.

„Like hundred bucks, now can we please get going before Jenna calls on special forces for us?”

„Yeah, yeah, just grabbing my stuff...” I put a strand of hair behind my ear, as I did a small run back to the wardrobe to take my raven clutch purse and jogged for the living room in need of collecting my phone, the keys to the apartment and of course the pack of cigarettes. I wasn’t as worried about matches or lighter, I believed Brian would be a gentlemen and would take care of a damsel in distress just like myself.

„You look like an adorable penguin, running in those things...” He let out a small chuckle, but the bastard wasn’t chuckling when I gave him the glare. Did men even realize we didn’t wear these things because they were oh-so comfy, we wore heels for them, obviously. I couldn’t give a single shit about how I looked when I went out in public, it was this specimen that made fun of my pajamas, which I happened to like, thank you very much.

„Those things? You want to try walking in them?” I raised an eyebrow as I was still bent over the coffee table, gathering my things, „Cause I would gladly change...”

„Nope,” He looked at his shiny shoes, which I believed were worth my yearly salary back at twenty five degrees, „I think I’m good.”

„Then shut it,” I picked up my reddish wallet to take the credit card out of it, „Okay, I think I’m done.”

„Look at that,” He exclaimed, pushing himself off the white door frame and coming my direction, „And I’m not even a hundred years old.”

„Ha-ha,” I faked a laughed, squinting my eyes as I looked over the place once again. It didn’t seem like I had forgotten anything. Nope, I was good. My eyes gazed over his build standing in the middle of my living room, „You’re still here?”

„Fine, jeez,” Brian raised his toned arms in the air, as if saying he was giving up, „I’m going.”

„Finally,” I rolled my eyes, but he didn’t see it, because he was already out the front door. If he kept on like this, we’d be late for every single event. Ever.

I winked at Buttercup, who seemed very displeased with my disappearing, but he’ll get over it. He had to. It was not like I could take a cat to the dinner, Jenna wasn’t in very good thoughts about him since the incident with her pants. I went over all the things I needed once again in my mind as I locked the door with one swift movement.

„Evening,” I smiled towards my neighbor, putting the key chain in my purse as I passed her by. She was a lady in her late sixties, a pleasant one.

„Are youngsters heading to a ball?” I guess she’d seen Brian passing. Some lines formed around her amber eyes as she smiled.

„You could say that,” I smiled imagining me and Brian in the middle of a spacious hall, surrounded by elderly people waltzing to Mozart. We would look like wolves in a pack of sheep. We wouldn’t blend in to say the least, it specially with all the tattoos going on on our boddies.

„I hope you two have fun,” She unlocked her door which was starting to peal and stepped inside.

„Thank you, we will...” I made a little jog down the stairs to keep Brian from waiting for too long, although he was already waiting for a good hour or so. But that was what men were made for, right? It wasn’t a coincidence they had sofa’s around clothing stores.

„What do you mean you can’t make it? Call in sick, for fuck sake!” Brian angrily whispered into his phone as he waited for me to get to the car. Was he talking to... what was her name again? Lexy? I guess I didn’t have to hear the conversation, but I did, and I felt kind of bad for him. He noticed me and got in his black BMW, keeping me away from hearing the details of their talk. Once I had flunked myself down in the passenger seat, he had already put his phone away and was now gazing outside the window while biting on his thumb repeatedly. It didn’t seem like he noticed me getting in. At all.

„Bri, are you okay?” My worried gaze dropped on him as I fixed my seatbelt. He looked confused.

„Yeah, I’m fine,” He turned his head and smiled at me. I decided not to take the subject up and just let it go. If he’d want to talk to me about it, I’d gladly support him, but if not, I’ll just let it slide. „So what do you say about Kabuki? They serve these awesome cucumber rolls.” He spoke up once we turned out of my drive.

„Kabuki?” I was looking for my phone in my purse. I decided to ignore everything that included The Black Swan in it and I already had six missed calls. Oh well, I’ll let them wait, this is my day off.

„Yeah, you don’t like Japanese?” He stopped in front of the crosswalk to let a pregnant lady walk over. At least he knew the rules, not like certain other. Jenna should’ver never even considered getting a driver’s license in first place. Would’ve been a lot safer. For the man kind.

„No, just the opposite. I’m addicted to sushi.” I turned off the sound of my iPhone and shoved it back in.

„Then that’s it. I’ll pick you up tomorrow.” He started driving again. „You can skip the dress, just, please, don’t wear anything that includes neither Ryan, nor Gosling in it. I would appreciate some cleavage.” He winked. Wasn’t that what Lexy was for? I was just here to entertain him with my Gosling PJ’s, which he happened to diss so much for some unexplainable reasons. Didn’t everyone like him?

„I have a hoodie,” I raised my eyebrows making an overly excited face, but as for him? He just let out this irritated sigh.

Once he’d stopped insulting my wardrobe, he became very silent and the whole drive to that italian restaurant at Beach Boulevard was spent in mortifying, deafening silence. I think I could even hear the blood pumping through my veins, but I decided to say nothing. Since that talk on his phone, he seemed slightly off. I guessed she wasn’t coming, that’s why he was this mad, but come on, your best friend has gathered everyone at a fancy schmancy restaurant, there has to be a good reason, or I’m wrong? Or was this a joke? It better not me.

But as soon as I found out the reason why all the Avenged family was at Olive Garden’s top, VIP section, I begged for it to be a joke. I nearly choked on my salami pasta when Jenna showed off her five carat black diamond ring, hanging from her finger. Matt was holding her by her waist and they were smiling widely. There was an even terrifying silence taking over the place than in the car with Brian. I could hear the paint pealing off the walls. Zacky’s fork landed on the white tablecloth, but he didn’t even blink an eye, his mouth was wide open as he looked at the couple. Not even Jimmy allowed himself to make a silly comment on this whole thing.

They were waiting for some kind of a response, but neither of us was capable of giving one. Brian pinched my leg under the table, telling me I have to save this moment. I pinched him back, telling it’s his best friend. The pause grew longer and I believed my thigh was already blue from all the pinching. I saw the desperation in Jenna’s eyes.

„Well...” I stood up, boosting myself against the table, glaring at Brian before saying anything. „You gave us quite a shocker,” I made a fake laugh. I was mindblown, I could barely say anything, but I knew I had to do it, to take attention away from Matt and Jenna, and embarrass the hell out of myself. „This calls a toast,” I noticed Brian gesturing for the waiter behind my back, to come and refill our glasses. I exhaled deeply, trying to come up with what to say, the words just weren’t coming to me. When the fuck did Jenna even decide she wanted to be a bride? Marriage was against her policy.

„You’re going to...” Zacky started off finally getting his speaking abilities back, but Jimmy cut him off,

„That’s awesome!” He exclaimed, a true joy shining over his face.

„To Matt and Jenna,” Brian stood up, raising his not yet refilled, half empty glass of champagne. „To the new couple.” I felt his arm around my bare shoulder to keep me from falling down. He gave me his glass, knowing I was too dumbfounded in moving or whatsoever. I downed it in a blink of an eye. Had she gone fully retarded on me? This was even worse than her obsession with Will and god knows nothing was worse than that, at least she didn’t want to marry the guy. I knew I had to be happy for her, but all of these years she had drilled this thought of being completely against marriage in my scull and now this? Where’s the catch? She was even wearing a dress for the guy, of course there was a denim waistcoat over it, but it didn’t alter the fact that she was wearing a dress and she was... engaged. Seriously? What the fuck.

„Smile, sunshine,” I felt Brian’s warm breath against my ear, as he whispered, „She’s your best friend...”

I shook it off, and got myself together to force a smile form on my lips. „To my favorite couple,” I hadn’t even noticed when or how the waiter had refilled the glass which was still in my hand, but I drank it without second thought.

„So when’s the wedding?” Johnny, the one who didn’t look the least bit shocked, casually questioned.

„Oh we haven’t decided yet,” Matt cheerily answered.

„We just wanted to let you guys know...” Jenna smiled widely as she continued on her salad.

„I’ll have to carry you home tonight, won’t I?” Brian asked as I took the bottle from the waiter and refilled my own glass, I nodded as I brought the glass to my lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
The shocking big news! Who would've guessed, right?