The Black Swan

021

I was crumpling the photo of the happy couple for the last... god knows how many minutes, while Jenna was long gone into her dream land on my shoulder. I was getting more and more sober by minutes, or maybe they were hours? No, it couldn’t be, somebody would surely gone on a search mission for us and I was surprised nobody came in while we were here.

If I didn’t know better, I’d think I have a twin of which’s existence I didn’t know. Was it a coincidence she looked just like me only with a fairly lighter shade of her hair? No, nothing was coincidental in this world. Just then I realized maybe to other guys I was not really the rebound chick, I just had shitty luck with being in a relationship, but to Brian... I didn’t know what the hell happened to them both, I just know they were really happy and then somewhere along the way I showed up. Looking exactly like this girl just with fiery red bangs and he went for me. Possibly looking for his redemption.

„Ally?” The door opened and I immediately clenched my hand into a fist, hiding the photo. It was Andrew, he looked exhausted. „We’re closing in five...”

„Yeah?” I moved further, gently placing Jenna’s head on the padding next to me, in the same moment placing the photo in the pocket of my jeans. I know, I know, I should’ve put it back, but I didn’t have the time, nor the will. I slipped my shoes on, the same one’s I had so carelessly kicked away somewhere in between one of my many trips to the universe and back.

„I just wondered if you could show me how to properly take off the money... Don’t want to mess something up.” What? Had he really changed? Andrew? People like him never changed. Since when did he want my help? Had the world gone mad?

„Okay, I’m coming,” I stood up, one last time looking over my shoulder to see Jenna and realizing she won’t be waking up any time soon.

Once I opened the door, 50 cent’s In da Club blasted through the speakers. „ Go, go, go, go, go Shawty... it’s your birthday... we’re gonna party like it’s your birthday...” The lighting was even dimmer than before or was it only because I was going blind? No, no, it got lighter and I saw a big cake coming towards me. A black swan cake.

„What?” A wide smile was creeping up on my lips. I felt an arm on my shoulder. I was too surprised and I think happy and I couldn’t even insult Andrew seeing how he leaned in and kissed my cheek.

„Congrats,” He was smirking. Everyone was here. Will, Andrew, Nikki, Leann, Eddy, Matt, Johnny, Zacky, Jimmy and even Brian... And guess who was holding the cake.

„My biggest congratulations, Ally!” I knew that deep voice and I knew those tattooed arms. He lowered the cake so I could see his face.

„Oh my god Roy! Put the goddamn cake down so I can hug you!” Eddy took the cake from him and he came for a hug. Oh god, how I missed him. And still wearing his Hugo Boss cologne. Some things just never change. „I thought you weren’t coming.”

„I told my flight is delayed, I never told you I was going to be a no show. Jesus sis, what do you take me for? It’s your big day after all,” He pulled a bit away to look me in the eyes. „What have you done with your hair, little one?” He shook my side bangs with his index finger, chuckling a bit.

„Don’t look at my hair, better take a look at this place.” I said like it was too obvious, mimicking with my hand towards the surroundings.

„I already did. It’s really something. Besides... Where’s your partner in crime?” Fuck! Jenna, she’s so going to kill me!

„Present!” Jenna raised her index finger in the air, letting out a loud yawn. She was standing beside Andrew and mouthing a ‘hi asshole’ to Roy, but still smiling warmly.

„Now that we’re all here...” Roy’s dark blue eyes looked over everyone and I noticed just than that every each person was smiling like crazy, even Brian. What. Had. I. Missed? „Who’s the bartender tonight? Do we even have a bartender?” Roy laughed.

„I am,” Even tho Andrew looked drained, he was still up for work. Who the hell was he?

„Sweet. We need a round of shots and I don’t care how wasted you all really are. This calls for a massive celebration.”

„What kind of shots?” Andrew asked as he put twelve shots on the counter. With the corner of my eye, I noticed Nikki taking one off the marble surface. I shook my head. Nevermind, I’ll let myself to drown myself in memories later. If I’ll remember it that is. Roy eyed me with a massive shit eating grin on his face.

„What about some...” I already saw were it was going, so I punched him before he even could’ve said what he was planning on, „red... headed... sluts...”

„You’re the worst...” I laughed, pulling away from him.

The night or rather... morning kept on going as we downed the shots like this was our last day on earth. Some dubstep remix of Sail by Awolnation was roaming through our eardrums and I kind of found myself grinding against Andrew? I don’t know, I was drunk beyond any limits. I just knew Nikki had gone home an hour ago and Brian was still glued to his broken nose bimbo. I didn’t care anymore.

I just remembered me and Jenna downing shots one after another. Andrew had made each of us a row of eight Jagerbull shots and if I remember correctly we finished the row in less than fifteen minutes. But that’s possibly the reason why I’m not sure.

„Baby, don’t do it,” I remember Matt trying to get Jenna away from the booze. Did he realize his plan? Sure as hell not! When have Jenna ever said no to Jagermeister?

„Matt, relax.” I felt Roy’s heavy arm lay on my shoulder as I drank my already fourth shot, turning it upside down and putting it back on the counter. Four down, another four to go.

„They’ve been drinking that devil’s booze since I can remember them,” Will explained. He remembered? No fucking way. I wanted to hug him, I was getting too friendly. No, another shot. Please, just don’t throw up. The sweet taste in my mouth was starting to get a bit unbearable, but I didn’t want to give up to Jenna although nobody told this even was a game or a race of some sort. „I’d be switching my lights out already after the third shot...”

„J, I don’t want to go to the hospital tonight,” Matt begged. Pff, pussy. Who’s going to hospital? Clearly not Jenna, although she looked kind of shaky. No, Jenna was a superwoman, she could drink thrice as many.

„Chill man. They’ve been downing shots even before they were legal enough to do it.” Roy was holding his usual glass of scotch, „Before they hit downtown, they usually finished a bottle or so and then went for the clubs to drink twice as many, so don’t worry.”

And that’s how I found myself on the dance floor, along with everyone else of course, but I don’t think anyone else was dirty dancing as much as me. His hands slid down my side and dropped to my hips as he pulled me closer, my back touching his abs. It felt so good. I closed my eyes and leaned my head against his shoulder, feeling his lips on my neck soon after.

„Oh man...” I heard someone say, before I was forcefully pulled away. I brushed my hair out of my face, to at least try to see what was going on.

„Brian!”

„Jimmy hold him!” I think I saw one flying body, hitting against the counter and another pissed body going after him.

„Dude, I’m kind of drunk and he’s kind of big...” Jimmy didn’t sound that drunk, but then again... I think I’d never seen him sober. Figures much.

„And pissed...” What the hell was going on? I didn’t understand anything, I just felt someone lifting me up. Couldn’t I walk for myself? I guess not.

„Come on baby girl, time to go home.” I knew that smell, Hugo Boss... It was Roy.

„Brian, get the fuck away from him!” Jenna was yelling on top of her lunges. „You’re going to kill the poor bastard!”

„I think he’s kind of going for it...”

„Wait,” I murmured and I felt Roy stop, „Where’s Brian?” I said a bit louder, hoping he would hear me and stop the nonsense. I wasn’t stupid, drunk- fuck yes, but not stupid, and after all those yells I understood what was going on. Brian was on a crazy rampage.

„Matt do something!”

„I already am!”

„Put me down, Roy...” He raised an eyebrow, but did as I said. Soon enough I was on my own feet and I noticed I was bare footed. Where the hell were my shoes? I hooked my arm in Roy’s elbow and went for where I thought Brian was, which was right next to the bar. Matt was behind him and holding him, while Jimmy was pushing them both away from something that seemed to be Andrew. What the hell just happened?

I let go of Roy’s elbow as soon as we were closer and stood in front of Jimmy, pushing him aside. Brian’s dark eyes looked down at me. I saw Matt relax a bit behind him, which meant Brian had calmed down. I raised a corner of my mouth in a smile, before I slapped him with all I had, making his heard jerk to the side. The sound echoed throughout the room. I believe it hurt me a lot more than it hurt him. Brian turned his head slowly to look at me. He looked confused.

„Come on big boy, let’s get you home...” Matt pulled him away, „Jimmy, help me out?”

„I don’t ever want to see you...” You had to be a completely blind idiot to miss the hurt in his eyes and believe me, it hurt me as much as it hurt him.