The Black Swan

005

Miami was, hands down, the most beautiful place I’ve ever been to. The scenario was something unique, something different, something astonishing. I was born and raised in Miami, yes, yes, Ally Morgan, was no Californian gal’. I couldn’t tell if Huntington Beach was better or worse than Miami, no I would not nor could ever do that, they just had their differences. For example the people. They were a lot more fun-er to be around. Californians, well, most of them, thought of themselves like they were from a fully different world, while people here in Miami, were bat shit crazy in the most wonderful possible way.

People came to Miami to party, to enjoy the sunset and the buff bodies of local surfers. So did I, so the right question is- how did I get myself tangled in the big mess with the family dinner thing? I had absolutely no intentions of going to some fancy-shmancy restaurant with my folks, but how can you say no to your own flesh and blood? My mother had always been a very persistent woman, her persistency was almost as bad as Brian’s, which mixed with pure weirdness and a tiny bit of creepiness. She could talk anyone into anything of her mind and she would do it as long, that you started to believe you wanted to do the goddamn thing in the very beginning. I kid you not. My mommy, Yvette, was from French and Ukrainian origin so you have some clue which ways her temper went. All of the ways.

“Ally, mind your manners,” oh yeah, and the scolding, I had fully forgotten she was a lady, “No elbows on the table.” I raised my eyes to look at the woman sitting in front of me. She was nothing like me, people had always told- I was daddy’s little girl, it seemed like me and my mother were from fully different worlds. My mother was subtle, ladylike. She lived by the etiquette and god forbid she ever found out of my little alcohol and weed relaxation methods. Her wavy chestnut bangs were the reason my daddy fell in love with her, her petite body and emerald eyes were the reason dad broke some noses in the past and her poise, manners and determination are the reason why she’s leading her own clothing line. And that handsome stud next to her, that’s my dad, who’s taking a big chunk off that nicely done stake. Christian Morgan. A proud Californian who moved to Miami to live the dream. His dream was to marry my mother, everything else came secondly. He’s the head of some corporation called EngagePoint and even until now, I don’t have the slightest clue of what is that he does, he could as well be the godfather and it would be fine by me, cause he’s my dad. Wearing a suit or not, I love him no matter what.

“So Ally, how’s life treating you?” Dad dipped the piece of meat in some sauce as his bluish eyes greeted me. It was always nice to talk to him. Mother had already interrogated me about the flight, how was the service, what did I eat, which class did I fly, and when she found out I was in economy, she pursed her lips although I knew in her mind she was cursing in a dreadful French.

“I’m not complaining,” I shrugged my shoulders, actually I was complaining. It was hot in here and I was wearing a dress that was not made for these circumstances. I think I was sweating in all of the wrong places, no, I believed I was melting and this little black dress was actually some sort of torture device that makes you disappear. I was afraid that in the end of the evening there would be nothing left of me but a small puddle. But other than the uncomfortable conditions I had to live in, I had no complains. Of course there was this small thing that Jenna was here with me, well not in this dinner, but here, in Miami. Why? Mark said she earned this trip, so he’s working her shifts. That lucky daughter of a gun.

Space has the best whiskey sour… Why are you not here? Guys here are mouthwatering!

Speaking of the devil. Typical Jenna, while I was stuck in this event, she was partying. Figures.

“I’m so sorry I’m late…” I raised my glance from the phone to see Roy kissing my mother on the cheek.

“That’s okay, honey. I’ve already ordered for you.” Roy was all in Christian. 6’2, broad shoulders, dark hair and with a smirk that made all the panties drop. Proud to say he was my brother and the owner of one of Miami’s best nightclub’s – The Vagabond. Only twenty nine years old, but already an owner of something, while me… Well, I used to work for him. Two years ago. As a waitress. Note the irony.

“Little one!” His eyes grew wide when he realized who the person was sitting in front of his mommy dearest. He ran his fingers through his dark hair, “Why did no one tell me?”

“I tried,” Mother sipped on her wine, “but you’re always at that club of yours…” She spat the word ‘club’ out with such disgust. Mom was not satisfied when Roy decided to use his economist degree to open a club. She believed it was some underground place where everyone was one way to hell alcoholic or even worse- junkey. It was needless to say, she had never been there.

“Hey,” I greeted Roy with a smile as he walked around the table and gave me a hug, “How’s it going?”

“Great, everything’s great,” He took his seat next to me. There was something about his smile… It was kind of sneaky, he used to smile that smile when we were little and he was about to pour a bucket of earthworms over my head. What the hell was going on in his mind?

“Except the fact that you and Veronica split up…”

“Mother, please…” The smile disappeared. Finally! Thank you god, I never liked the girl. She sucked nearly every drop of blood out of my brother. I’m surprised he’s still alive.

“What?” She whipped the corners of her red lips with a napkin, leaving it with some reddish stains. Her eyes locked on me. Oh god, no. “I want grandchildren, and it’s not like Ally is going to grand me my wish…” Of course, Ally is doomed to live with thirteen cats. My eyes dropped to my glass which was filled with water. Why? Mom didn’t like me drinking. Awesome. Fine. Perfect. “So it’s up to you Roy. It really disappoints me to be in my old age and without grandchildren.”

In your old age? I think my eyebrow received a spasm, it was jumping up and down. I couldn’t understand if I found the situation hilarious or just the opposite. You’re fucking forty nine, for Christ sake!

“Yvette, this is neither a proper time nor place for a conversation of this subject.” Dad winked at me, it seemed like he was about to burst in laughter. Hold it in there dad, hold it in.

“Of course, honey.” She smiled. It was that easy for him. To set mom in her place. And he was the only person who could do it.

“So, Ally, what are you doing later?” Jeremy was cutting through his beef. I could never understand how could he and dad be such big fans of meat. I guess me and mother were related after all, I looked at her half empty plate of Greek salad and then at mine Caesar. I could’ve never told.

“Probably meeting up with Jenna.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“Oh? She’s also here? Why didn’t you invite her to the dinner?” Dad took a mouthful of wine. Why? Because she hates wearing a dress with a passion and she’s not a big fan of restaurants, no, there is one exception, if restaurants serve good booze, she’ll come, get shitfaced and go home. That’s what Jennas do.

“She wanted to meet up with some friends.” Godammit! Did I say friends? I can already see the glitter in Roy’s eyes without even looking at him.

“Who? Will?” I sooo saw this one coming. Will or William was Jenna’s ex. Long story short- he was a dj. He had hands full of girls each night, Jenna grew tired of all the drama and they split up. Soon after the heavy parting, I offered her to come to California with me.

“Roy, I really don’t know.” I was rolling a piece of chicken around my plate.

“He’s playing tonight.” He really wanted the death of me. And what a surprise, Will was a dj at Roy’s place. They were good buddies. “Take Jenna along, she could put some of her mashups and you could show me your skills around the bar. I’ve heard you’re one heck of a flair bartender. Maybe I should hire you.”

“You know, I would send you straight to hell.”

“Language, Ally.” Mother was not listening to anything we both were saying, she was talking to daddy, but somehow, mention the word –hell, and she’s scolding you like a child, who has eaten all the cookies from the forbidden cookie jar.

“That’s the reason I would make the offer.” Roy grinned.

“Is he working tonight?” I asked in a hushed voice. Actually his offer was tempting, I didn’t want to stray around the big mansion, be there fully alone, because mom and dad had been invited to some gathering. As I just found out, and they’re going. The house they bought few years ago had always frightened me, it was too big, and too cold.

“Shouldn’t be.” He cut through a baked potato, “but then again, I wouldn’t know, Nikki is making his schedule.” He could’ve lied if he wanted for me to go. Roy’s phone went off and he politely excused himself off the table.

Who is this mystery guy we’re talking about? A guy with whom we had our highs and our lows. Lows were more often than highs. He was the face of The Vagabond, the most charismatic bartender of the place. When he had his shifts, he made gain out of nothing. His tips were enormous although he was worst of them all. Being the stupid little girl I was back in the day, I fell for him. Kind of predictable, right? He was a womanizer, he didn’t care for me, I was just this silly little waitress, who had a pixie cut and looked more like a dude than a girl. I was naïve, and I’m very afraid the silly little girl would return if I met him again. He is the reason why I can’t trust men anymore.

“I’m so sorry,” Roy returned with a wide smile on his lips. Good news I suppose?

“Who was that?” The curiosity killed the cat, but I knew I had some more years to live.

“Some old friends are in Miami, they’re coming to the club later. You should meet them; I strongly believe you all would get along surprisingly well.”

“Fine, I’ll go.” I had nothing to lose. What happens, happens, right?
♠ ♠ ♠
This part is a filler, to let you all know who exactly is Ally.
Feedback would be very much appreciated and thank you darlings for those who read and comment, it means a world to me!