Till Dawn Do Us Part

Prologue

Have you ever been friends with someone for so long that it would be strange not to hear from them on a daily basis? Have you ever had a friendship so strong that, even if you were miles apart, you would know exactly what was going on with that person?

I did. Not do, did. I lost my best friend of twenty years one year ago today. I stand above his grave now as I'm telling this story. We were five years old when we first met, and something clicked that we could never go a day without communicating.

If only you could feel the pain I feel right now. It's nearly unbearable, but I'm coping well enough to keep living. I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss him, for that is an impossibility. I loved the guy more than my own siblings, my own family. I suppose you can say I still do.

I stared down at the grave marker, my hands in my jacket pockets. Had it been anyone else, I wouldn't have stood there in single digit temperatures to visit. He was worth it, though. He'll always be worth it.

"You weren't supposed to die," I whispered, squating down and shifting my weight to my toes. "You weren't supposed to leave me so early. We made plans to grow old and be the ones to egg teenagers cars at the high school. We had made all these plans and we can't do them now. I can't do them without you, man." The tears came slowly, warm streaks flowing down my cheeks. "You'd have been 27 tomorrow, and we would have gone to Olive Garden, like always, ordered our usual, and flirt with the waitress. I still go there on your birthday, but the flirting is hard when I can't bounce it off of yours." I fell back, crossed my legs, and my hands remained in my pockets.

I looked over at the path when I heard cars pulling up. Someone had passed recently, another friend, family member, colleague. "Life's too short. People are always taken well before their time, just like you," I whispered, my gaze looking back at the grave marker. "Wherever you are, wait for me. I'll see you soon enough."
♠ ♠ ♠
As you've most likely figured out, the idea for this story came from the quote in the description.

The updates will be a little slow, but I will update every chance I get. :)