Status: You Left Me

Everything You Want

Prologue: End of the Beginning

“I just,, I think we need to break up,” he said softly, his ocean blue eyes tracing the lines in the hardwood floor beneath us. I didn’t know what to say- even if I did, I’m not sure I would have been able to form words. My throat had tightened up, and there were so many thoughts running through my head that I couldn’t focus on just one. My cold, shaking fingers clasped together so tightly my knuckles were beginning to turn white, and I finally raised my eyes to meet his.

There was a sadness in them, and the confidence I had grown to know had been spread thin and been replaced by what looked like fear. He was afraid of how I was going to react, that much I was sure of. When we first met, six years ago, I was an utter wreck. My older brother was in jail for drugs and assault. My twin brother had been killed in a car accident- I was driving us home from a late night concert, and a drunk driver ran through a red light and t-boned his side of the car. Tony and I spent the night in a hospital; he died during emergency surgery, and I had two broken ribs with lots of minor bruises and cuts. The drunk driver lived, but we heard he died three weeks later in a gang-related shooting.

I was a nervous, shy girl with bouts of depression ever-so-often when Sean introduced Norman and me. He had been raving about his on-set brother for his latest movie, and he wanted me to meet him. At one point, I eventually got sick and tired of Sean’s begging so I gave in. Who would have known that would be the turning point of my life?

When we met, we’d hit it off perfectly. He was a little socially awkward, but not in a bad way. It was endearing, actually, and made him more lovable. From the moment I heard him speak, I had a hopeless puppy crush on him- one that I thought would eventually disappear. In my mind, it had to. He was married, with a young son. We became close friends the more Sean talked me in to hanging out with the two of them and a couple others from the Boondock Saints cast. It was easy to be around Norman, and Sean was my cousin- we all had a blast. Norman, Sean, Rocco, and William pulled me out of my depression and helped transform me into a confident young woman. It took the better part of a year and a half, but as I was getting better Normans marriage was getting worse. When he and his wife got a divorce, Sean and I were there to help pick up the pieces more than anyone. It genuinely broke my heart to see such a close friend in that kind of state, and months later Norman asked me on our first date.

I was elated, to say the least, and before long we were in a serious, committed relationship that lasted just shy of five years. I knew Norman had been acting a little funny the past couple months, but I didn’t question it. I had figured it was just stress from his career, and I did everything I could to be there for him. But, here I am now- Norman standing in front of me, not even meeting my gaze, and looking like he felt very awkward while my mind is absolutely reeling.

I nodded slowly, biting down onto my bottom lip in a feeble attempt to keep my flood of tears at bay. My eyes were locked onto a small scratch on the floor, and I tried to focus on that. But the memories were too strong, too overwhelming.

Tears began to silently slip from my eyes and my lip quivered, but I refused to break down. I prayed with all my might that he would simply turn, and walk away. I knew how very un-Norman that would be, though, and I wasn’t surprised when I felt his rough hands on my face wiping away tears.

I flinched away, squeezing my eyes as tightly closed as I could with a small shake of my head.

“Then leave,” I whispered, shakily daring to look in his eyes. The moment I did, my tears were released in a waterfall of silence and I knew how hurt Norman was. He hated to see anyone cry, much less someone he cared immensely about. I wasn’t a fool, I wasn’t nor could I say that he didn’t care about me anymore. I knew with all my being he loved me; he wasn’t someone who could walk out on almost five years without a good reason.

“Don’t be like this,” he pleaded, his hands falling to my elbows as he tried to pull me into a hug. I gently pulled myself from him embrace, shaking my head.

“No, I-I’m going to go tell Sean goodbye and I’m gonna grab a taxi,” I said softly, turning to leave. I could hear him calling my name, but that only made the desire for me to leave stronger. I weaved in and out of all the people at the party- it was a final wrap party for Sean’s latest movie, and he had asked Norman and I to come. My eyes finally landed on him, and I pushed myself through the sea of bodies to get to him.

I placed on hand on his bicep, and leaned close to his ear.

“I’m gonna go home, Sean. Congratulations, I know it’s going to be a wonderful movie!” I said, trying to keep the shake out of my voice. He caught it though. He spun around, excusing himself from the important-looking people he was talking with, and pulled my body against his. I wanted more than anything to just break down right there, but my desire to not put a damper on Seans party was stronger than my desire to cry.

“What’s goin on?” he asked softly, one of his hands rubbing my back soothingly. I just shook my head, and hoped to God that the footsteps I heard weren’t Norman. But they were, of course they were.

“Kenz, let me take you home,” he pleaded, and I snuggled closer into Sean to keep from breaking down right there.

“Woah, guys, hey, what’s going on here?” asked Sean, a sort of panic creeping into his usually happy voice.

“Nothing, I’m just not feeling well,” I lied to Sean, and pulled away with a soft kiss on his cheek and a fake smile. “Have a good night, you’ve earned it. I’ll see you later, alright?”

Sean looked at me, confusion written all over his face, and back at Norman. I pulled away from him and all but ran to the exit.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love Norman.

Shoutout to Phenax for helping come up with a glorious, and highly entertaining, plot. Stay tuned to meet her character, Cleo, in the next few chapters!