Status: You Left Me

Everything You Want

Feel My Bones Ignite, What I've Been Running From

I was face to face with the man I had been utterly smitten with for the majority of my adult-hood, for the first time since I walked out on him entirely without so much as a ‘goodbye’. Norman stood before me, his attire almost identical to Sean, and his unmistakable, trademark blue eyes filled with apprehension and nervousness. His ever-present Ray Bans hung from his black shirt. The last ten years had really done him justice physically, and I had to fight to keep my eyes from taking in his entire appearance. But of course, I couldn’t keep my eyes from noticing the way his shirt hugged his chest, stretching across his broad shoulders, and falling almost loosely down his abdomen Or the way his cheek bones and jaw were more chiseled than before. He had never been chubby or had any kind of fat on him, but he had filled out and put on muscle perfectly now.
And then, there were his eyes that I simply couldn’t look away from. They were the most beautiful blue eyes I’d ever come across; a vibrant slate blue that held the ocean in them. They held the power to make you feel like the most amazing, most loved person on the planet or a two-inch-tall scum of the earth. I’d never been on the receiving end of the latter, but I had witnessed it before.

The room was so silent -so tense- you could hear a feather hit the dark marble floor. My breath was caught in my throat, and my heart was having fits inside my chest. I couldn’t decide if it was out of anger at Sean and Norman, or if it was because he still had that much of an effect on me-I severely hoped it was anything but that. I’m not sure how long we stood there, just looking at each other and taking each other in, but I was thankful Mingus finally broke the silence.

“She’s still prettier than any other girl you’ve ever brought home, Dad.”

Sean chuckled softly behind me, and a small smile threatened Norman’sthin lips before he spoke, slow and deliberate.

“You’re right, son.”

His voice was velvet. A slight shiver coursed through my body, and I felt the hair on my neck rise. I cursed him and my reaction silently.

“Well, thank you both,” I said, blushing slightly under Norman’s intensegaze.

“You look good, McKenzi,”he said softly.

“You do, too, Reedus,” I replied, more stiff and proper than I thought I could muster, and turned back to Mingus with a softer smile. “Both of you.”

He beamed up at me, and slipped his hand in mine.

“Dad, she’s my date tonight. Sorry,” he said with a wink, and everyone laughed at the seriousness in his voice. Norman glanced at me briefly, amusement dancing in his eyes.

“The proper thing to do is ask her to be your date, Ming,” Norman said, pushing himself off the wall and slowly walking towards us.

“Since when do you care about what’s proper to do?” My tone was a little sharper than I had intended; it wasn’t snappy, but it was sharp as a razor blade. Normans jaw clenched and his eyes tightened, but he said nothing. I heard Sean mutter something under his breath to Cleo, but I ignored it.

When I realized I was staring at Norman, I quickly tore my eyes away.

“Mac,”

I looked back at Mingus, who had taken both of my hands in his own now, and stifled a laugh.

“Yes, Mingus?”

“Would you be my date tonight?”

I glanced back at Sean and Cleo, who both looked more than relieved that we had narrowly missed a slight confrontation, and then up at Norman who stood dangerously close to me now.

“I would be honored,” I said, grinning when Mingus’ eyes lit up.

“C’mon, guys,” said Sean, motioning with his head to the large, round table beside the window.

I was seated between Sean and Mingus, the window to my right, but the table was wide enough that I was looking at Norman and Cleo. The waiter was there within moments, and Sean ordered for everyone. That boy was a planner, for sure. I trusted his food judgment, though, so I didn’t mind.

“How’s school, Mingus?” asked Sean, breaking another awkward silence.

“Good, all the big kids think I’m super cool,” he bragged, glancing to Norman with a smile.

“Why’s that?” asked Cleo, and all eyes were on the young 12 year-old beside me.

“They asked me yesterday if Daryl Dixon was my dad, and I told them he was, and now I’m cool,”

Norman, Sean, and Cleo all laughed honestly, and I bit my lip slightly with an unsure chuckle. I had no idea who the fuck Daryl Dixon was. A light went off in Sean’s face, as if he just remembered our conversation leaving the airport. He grinned mischievously.

“You know, Kenz has never seen The Walking Dead,” he said, confirming my suspicion, and Mingus turned to me with his mouth agape.

“I guess it’s an American thing?” My defense was weak.

“You may live in Europe, but you’re still an American,” scoffed Sean with a smirk. “No excuses, plus the show is shown there, too. It’s world-wide.”

“Way to throw me under the bus!” I yelped. “See if I save your ass next time…”

Cleo giggled slightly, shoving Sean. “Oh, lay off, will you? She’s probably ridiculously busy; she did just get her degree, work, and model. I’m sure she has much less free time than your ass does.”

“You gotta watch it!” Mingus exclaimed, practically oozing with adoration and pride. “It’s about the zombie apocalypse. Dad’s the best character on there- they created Daryl just for him.”

I raised my eyebrows slightly, and glanced over the top of Mingus’ head at Norman. His face was a light shade of pink; Norman was typically a shy guy, but now he was embarrassed.

“I guess I’ll try to check it out sometime, then,” I settled, but that wasn’t good enough for Mingus. He turned and looked at his dad, eyes shining in a way that reminded me of a younger Sean.

“Dad, you can get her the seasons, right?”

“I’ve got all of ‘em at home, buddy, she can watch them since she’s staying with me,” Sean said, but Mingus shook his head.

“She needs her own copies for when she leaves,” he said, and looked back up at his father. Poor Norman, he was utterly defenseless against his son.

“Yeah, man, I can get McKenzi all the seasons sometime this week,” he said, looking very uncomfortable.

“Sean said you would be in Georgia all week, anyway,” I shot, and Sean sighed beside me. He gave me a very pointed, ‘be nice’ look. Norman looked even more uncomfortable.

“Uh… yeah, well, I am. I mean- I’m supposed to be… uh, Mingus- It’s my week with him,” he fumbled around an explanation, and I didn’t buy it one bit. I knew I’d caught not only Norman, but Sean as well.

“Kenz, I need to go find the ladies room. Would you come with me?”

Uh-oh. I was in trouble now.

“Why can’t you go alone?” asked Mingus, eying her closely.

“Well, sweetie, I might get lost or there might be a mean-man who is waiting to kidnap me!”

Oh, Cleo and her explanations… It was a fear Sean held much through Cleo and I’s younger years. He always insisted to accompany us everywhere.
Mingus nose crinkled, and he shook his head.

“No way, he’d give you right back. Kenz, too. No one is gonna try to kidnap either of you.”
Sean erupted in laughter, giving him a high-five across me. Normans face was buried in his right hand, and I felt a slight twinge bad for him. Cleo and I laughed with Sean, but I ruffled Mingus hair with a promise to return quickly.

Cleo linked her arm with mine, and we headed down the stairs.

“Why do you have to be so cold towards him?” she sighed, once we were finally out of ear-shot.

“Why did Sean have to put me in that situation?” I countered, crossing my arms as if to shield myself. I had told him plain-as-day, no stuttering, that I did not want to see Norman. Not even twenty four hours later, I’m face to face with him.

Cleo chewed on her lip for a moment, debating the right way to answer my question. I felt slightly bad for putting him on spot the way I did, but I couldn’t exactly be blamed for my reaction.

“It’s… complicated. Sean loves you more than anyone else in you guys family, he feels like you’re more of a sister to him than a cousin… But he also loves Norman, they’re best friends and practically brothers. He wants you both to be happy again,” Cleo said, giving me a soft smile.

“I am happy,”

“No,” she shook her head. “No, neither of you are. Not like you used to be.”

“You’re right, I’m happier. I don’t have to worry about how a man in my life will react to photo-shoots I do-other than Sean, but I could do a shoot in a paper bag and he’d still be pissy, so he doesn’t count. I don’t have to report to anyone, I can come and go as I please, and I can travel freely. I’m better suited single, Cleo. I really appreciate what Sean is trying to do, and I’m sure if positions were reversed I’d do the same to him, but he’s wrong.”

She snorted, leaning against the wall and giving me a knowing smirk. “You would not do what he did. You’d lock us in a fucking closet till we were moaning each-others names, and then you’d leave for like four hours.”

My smirk mirrored hers- she knew me all too well. “You’re damn right- but if Sean even thinks about doing that, I’ll never come back to New York.”

“Oh, he knows,” she laughed, and we began to head back up to the guys. “Believe me, he knows. Just, try to be nice tonight, okay? Think of it as a new start.”

“Mhm, right.”

“Please? For me, as a soon-to-be cousin-in-law, asking you to do one simple request?”
There was no way in hell I could argue with her on that one, and just gave her a submissive smile as we sat back at the table.

“See, I told you no one would try to kidnap you,” said Mingus, munching on a French fry. “Or they did, and gave you back before any of us even noticed.”

Boy that kid had a way to make you feel special.
♠ ♠ ♠
D'awww. There's poor lil awkward Norman that we all love!
The next chapter is super fuckin long, to the point I may split it in to two different ones.
If you guys are lucky, I just might post it for you tonight ;)

I love hearing you guys feedback! It makes my day!