Status: This writing is a bit dated. It'll progressively improve through the series.

Pandemic

Slaughter

09:36 Hrs, September 12th

Northern Desert, Outskirts of Scarfield

"C'mon. Get up…Get up!"

Vincent shifted groggily. Then fear overtook him. "What is it? Are we being attacked?" He stood up quickly.

It was Mark. "No, they don't usually attack unless they're in large numbers. Right now we're on the attack. Let's go, the others are waiting?" He began to walk into one of the tents.

"Wait." Vincent was confused. "Why are we attacking them? Isn't that dangerous?"

"I-I don't feel like explaining it. Why don't you ask the Commander instead?" He entered the tent.

Vincent stood at the entrance awkwardly, suddenly feeling out of place. He forced himself in anyways. There were about 20 people in the tent, all uniformed, seated along the perimeter of the room. Most had razorblades pinned to their shirts, almost like medals. The soldiers were all focused on the table in the center of the room. A map of the city was laid out, a tall, stone faced man looming over it. He had almost a dozen razorblades pinned to his uniform.

"Sit down." If the man wasn't physically menacing enough, the tone of his voice struck immediate submission into Vincent.

He understood that this was the Commander. "Yes sir." He moved silently to an empty seat next to Mark.

"Alright men…and women," The Commander motioned towards a single lady sitting across the room. "As most of you know yesterday we were ambushed by Alpha-Prime and a group of Adults. We managed to escape with minimal casualties by using the flamethrower. But squad D is still unaccounted for and I fear the worst. We've tried all forms of communication and all have failed. Today we're going to search for them and hopefully find out what happened. Stay close, and stay alert. Any questions?"

"I think newbie over here might have a few." Mark gestured.

The Commander turned to Vincent. "Speak up boy."

"I-what is Alpha-Prime?" He asked shakily.

"We don't have time for that right now. Just remember, if it doesn't look human don't shoot, just run."

"But why are we attacking the zombies anyways? Wouldn't it be safer to stay here?"

"Did you listen to anything I just said?" The Commander raised his voice, instilling fear into Vincent.

"I think he means why did we attack them and get ambushed in the first place, right Vincent?" Mark stepped in to save the day.

"Ah. I see what you mean now. What is our grand objective you ask? This city is home to Alpha-Prime, the leader of the plague. It has control of the zombies and is using them to guard Dual Strain Industries."

"Dual Strain Industries? What's that?"

"The facility that created the parasite. If we can get inside we might find crucial info on how to end the Pandemic."

Vincent was confused now. "I thought Cytogen Corporation created it. The government shut it down and everything."

"That's what the general public was told. Cytogen told the government about Dual Strain, but the government raided them instead. Apparently Dual Strain had deep ties with people high up. They shut Cytogen down, saying that it was the cause of the parasite."

"How do you know all this?" Vincent questioned.

"The Guillotine Squad was originally formed by Cytogen employees who knew what was coming and escaped the raid. Everyone in this tent had some connection to the corporation."

"But I don't get it. If the government knew about Dual Strain why didn't they stop the infection?"

"They tried. They simultaneously quarantined Scarfield during the raid. They sent a force of 200 men in Dual Strain. Not one was ever seen or heard from again. After that they dropped Hydrogen bombs around the city to create a sort of no man's land. Anyone who stepped into it was mowed down."

"Why didn't they just bomb the city?"

"They were afraid Dual Strain, it being an underground facility, who collapse under the force and any chance of a cure would be lost. But it was too late. The parasite had already spread to other cities, and the world became as it is today."

"But-"

"Enough." The Commander interrupted. "We have to move out. That squad could be in danger as we speak. Let's go."

Everybody filed out of the tent and Vincent quickly grabbed his weaponry. He ran back to the group, falling into step with Mark. "Thanks for helping me out back there."

"Hey, don't worry about it. Next time say what you mean and mean what you say, and I won't have to save you."

Vincent nodded, then glanced the razorblade on Mark's uniform. "What are those for?"

"Oh, they're like medals. Since we're the Guillotine Squad we found them to be the most fitting. They determine rank. The one with the most is the leader. You get one for killing a hundred zombies, or for killing one Adult."

"Adults are that dangerous?"

"Zombies are fast, strong, and hard to kill in large numbers. Adults are all that plus they're extremely intelligent and stealthy. You'd be dead before you even knew you were being hunted. We lost thirteen men once because of a trap they set. Didn't even know they were missing until we got back to camp. The next day we found their weapons in a pool of blood. We checked the clips. Not one bullet was fired."

"Sounds kind of like what happened yesterday." Vincent pointed out.

"Let's hope that's not the case." Mark replied, and they walked in silence the rest of the way to the city.

They reached the first buildings of Scarfield when the Commander turned towards them. "Squad A go with Olivia, Beheader Unit come with me. Vincent…" He thought for a moment. "Go with Olivia." He turned and 10 heavily decorated men followed him into the city.

The lone woman faced them, wearing 8 razorblades on her uniform. We're going to search a different section of Scarfield. Be ready for anything. Remember, the only way to kill an Adult is to shoot it in the eyes. Let's go."

They moved along the city limits for several minutes, then dove into the city. Scarfield was desolate and silent. Only the crunching of broken glass beneath their feet could be heard.

In Vincent's mind every building housed zombies, every alley contained an Adult. He felt vulnerable. Like any second he would be dead. Suddenly he heard clicking. "Mark, do you hear that?"

He listened intently for several moments. "Nah, you're just paranoid, that's all. I was the same way my first time. Chill."

Vincent wanted to argue but his mouth was too dry. They continued on for several more minutes, the clicking persisting in his ears. They found a bloody razorblade attached to a piece of clothing in the middle of the street. Dozens of expended ammunition shells peppered the area.

"This was from the missing squad. If they're alive they'd be near." Olivia whispered. "I'll get the Beheader Unit over here." She pulled out a walkie-talkie. "Commander, I think we've found where the missing squad is."

They waited quietly for a response. There was only static.

"Commander are y-"

"We're here." The reply was so soft it was barely audible. "We're being ambushed. We need backup right away. We're near the police station. Please-" There was a moment of static. "Hurry, there-ssh! I heard something." Another pause. "Alpha-Prime!" Gunshots echoed through the city and the yells of men could faintly be heard.

"Let's go! There's no time!" Olivia pocketed the walkie-talkie and they rushed through the back alleyways towards the battle. They were midway through one when a creature dropped down from the rooftops, blocking the path.

An Adult.

It resembled a spider except a lot larger and it had more legs. What were tantacles on the premature one were actually rigid, barbed legs. Two of the front legs looked more like single pronged claws. The cone shaped head pointed right at them, its red eyes filled with bloodlust. It opened its maw, its four jaws extending out to full length, over a foot in each direction.

"It's a trap!" Mark yelled, turning to run.

A second Adult came down from above, its mouth closing on Mark's neck and left shoulder.

Vincent fired his rifle desperately, but the creature was too fast to hit in the eyes. The bullets kept glancing off its body. Another man was severed at the knees, then decapitated by the Adult's powerful jaws.

"Behind you!" Olivia cried out, firing her rifle.

A high pitched screech came from inches behind Vincent's ear. He whipped around to find the first Adult twitching and curling into a ball.

He didn't wait for anyone to tell him to run. He bolted over the Adult and dashed out of the alley, leaving the others to fend for themselves. Running down the street back to the safety of the Guillotine Squad he had almost broken free when yet another Adult blocked his path. It hissed slightly and charged forward with amazing speed.

He emptied the remainder of his clip into the creature but again his bullets glanced off harmlessly. Shit. Darting into the nearest building he searched for a place to hide. It was a near empty lobby. He ran forward desperately, searching for a spot to hide. There was a staircase leading up. He could hear the Adult breathing behind him. He could feel the warm, humid breath on the back of his neck. Vincent rushed up the stairs 3 at a time then, losing momentum, 2 at a time. A claw slashed through his back and he fell forward. It crawled on top of him and reared back for the final strike.

Vincent spun around with the rifle, knocking the Adult down the stairs. He raced to the second floor, knowing that the pursuit was not over. The room was filled with cubicles. He weaved through them to one in the center and hid in it, underneath a built in table. The Adult entered the room before he had a chance to reload his rifle, and he dared not make a sound. The creature jumped on top of the first row of cubicles and slowly walked, shedding each one as it passed over. Then it hopped over to the second row and proceeded to do the same. Vincent understood what it was doing. It was systematically searching for him. He was in the fifth row. The Adult jumped over to the third row and he could see its eyes clearly, which meant that it could see him. But it didn't and went on destroying the third row of cubicles. Vincent knew he would be seen when it came across next time. He thought quickly, sliding his hand along the desk above him. A light square of plastic grazed his fingertips. Viewing it quickly he found it to be an empty pencil holder. He threw it underhand hoping the Adult would chase after it. There was a small crash by the door, and even smaller crashes as it fell down the stairs. The Adult turned violently and rushed out of the room. Vincent ran out of his cubicle and hid under a destroyed one in the second row. The spider-like creature roared, running back into the room. It slashed through the fourth and fifth row before stopping. A loud scream came from outside some distance away. The Adult paused, making a strange set of chirping sounds, then ran down the stairs and out of sight.

Everything was silent.

Vincent remained, hidden and wounded, afraid he would be found. Darkness slowly crept over the area.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was the first chapter of Part 3: The Guillotine Squad.

Like you care.
keep reading. shit gets crazy....er