Status: This writing is a bit dated. It'll progressively improve through the series.

Pandemic

Desperation

20:13 Hrs, September 12th

Northern Desert, outskirts of Scarfield

Olivia and the Squad D captain sat in silence as they hear the fading cries of Alpha-Prime.

"He was just a boy." She whispered softly. "Why won't it just attack and finish us all off?"

"You know the theory. We think that even though it can regenerate injured tissue it still feels pain. The extreme pain it knows it'll receive in the process is what deters it." He answered.

Olivia didn't respond.

"Look. It wasn't your fault, and it wasn't mine. There was no other way. We would've all died."

"I know…it's just-it's just-too much pain."

There was a short silence. Then the Squad D captain spoke. "If you want this hell to end then we need a meeting. Now."

"A meeting? Dean, what're you talking about?"

"We have a potential solution to all our problems. Meeting in the main tent in ten minutes. Spread the word to all the higher-ups.' At that Dean left and disappeared into the tent.

Olivia sat in the tent with the Commander. Neither made eye contact with anyone. The captains of squads B, C, and D, and several scientists also occupied the tent.

"Is this everyone?" Dean asked.

"I think so." The Commander stared at the ground absentmindedly.

"Alright. Well as you know yesterday my squad was attacked and isolated overnight by a group of Adults. In the process of escaping we came upon the main entrance of Dual Strain Industries. During the night we fixed the Central power dynamo. We were surprised that we weren't attacked. It is the one place Alpha-Prime has been guarding thoroughly. It doesn't matter though. We were able to dig up key info. There is a flaw in the parasites and Alpha-Prime as well. Both were created by fusing organisms with a newly discovered element known as Theronite."

"We figured that out before the government stepped in." A scientist pointed out.

"But do you know what Theronite actually is?"

The scientist frowned. "We were raided before we could find out."

"It's an element with no protons or electrons, only two neutrons. Though the element is relatively stable it still has a tendency to try and acquire its missing protons and electrons. In the process it bonds to the target atom's core, altering the atom's behavior entirely. In most cases this resulted in instantaneous death. That is, until they bonded Theronite with Silverstrain and the Pandemic. The bond resulted in highly intelligent and adaptable creatures."

"That's impossible." One scientist remarked.

"And zombies are only science fiction." Another scientist answered. "Anything that hasn't been disproved yet we must accept as possible."

"Continue." The Commander effectively ended the argument.

"Yes sir." Dean replied. "The flaw of these creatures resides in a counter-element discovered simultaneously by Dual Strain known as Zephron. It's made of two protons and two electrons. If it comes into contact with an atom fused with Theronite it'll break the bond and the Theronite will bond to the Zephron instead. Essentially the creature will turn into Helium and evaporate into the atmosphere."

"But where do we find this 'Zephron'?" Squad captain C pointed out.

"There is a large supply supposedly stored in the Hydra wing. In the Synchron wing there are experimental missiles to spread the element throughout the world."

The Commander cut in. "There's no way of getting into the facility. It's too heavily guarded."

"We got in."

"That's probably because Alpha-Prime was a stalker and needed all the zombies to hunt for it."

"Not anymore." Olivia said. "It chased us down and killed that boy, Vincent. Its wounds were healing faster than normal. It also had a strange bulge on its back."

"Wait. If it's not a stalker anymore and it's not an Adult, then what is it?"

"There are several explanations." A scientist scratched his head, trying to think. "Since both Alpha-Prime and the Pandemic were created using Theronite it's possible that the Adult has fused with its outer shell, retaining its form. It's also possible that the Adult is unable to break free of the host because of the regenerative abilities of the flesh. A final explanation is that the Adult chooses not to break free and instead uses the regenerating flesh as a shield of sorts."

"That's besides the point though." The squad B captain spat out. "We're still faced with the same problem. We can't get into Dual Strain Industries. We've tried infiltrating the city and all it leads to is death. To try now is suicidal."

Dean smiled slightly. "I knew you'd say that Steve. That's why we've found a secret entrance somewhere North East of our location that leads straight to Hydra."

"Somewhere? What do you expect us to do? Comb the entire desert for an entrance?" Steve retorted.

"No. We may not know where the exact location is, but we do know that there is an overturned tank next to the entrance."

"That entrance may be guarded as well though, and we have bigger problems at the moment." Squad C captain declared.

"Brian, are you seriously telling me that we have a bigger problem than exterminating the Pandemic?"

"Yes, I am." Brian answered. "Staying alive is our biggest problem. Our water supplies will be gone by morning and our food supplies will be gone in a few days as well. Ammunition is almost depleted and our military force is at its breaking point. We have barely enough men to uphold the perimeter defenses, let alone scavenge that damned city for supplies."

There was a moment of silence as everyone took in what Brian had just said. Then a scientist shakily spoke. "I was hoping to save the bad news for the end of the meeting…"

Steve glared at him. "Spit it out already. Apparently we no longer have all the time in the world, according to Brian."

The Commander eyed the squad B captain. "Enough." He turned nervously to the scientist. "Go on."

"A sandstorm is approaching. A big one. It'll be here by tomorrow and without shelter we don't stand a chance."

Stress built up within the Commander. "What do you want me to do? Storm that godforsaken city for shelter and hope that the zombies came a truce for the day? Huh? What do you want me to do?"

"I-I'm-sorry sir. I just thoug-"

"No-no, I'm sorry. I-I don't know. Does anyone have any ideas?"

They thought silently for several minutes, the lives of the Guillotine Squad weighing heavily on them all.

They were interrupted by a man who burst into the tent, gasping for air. "Squad E captain reporting!"

Olivia looked at him wide eyed. "Michael? What's wrong?"

"Commander, we've returned from our scouting routine. We have a major problem!"

A painful expression formed on his face. "What is it?"

"We're completely surrounded by an army of zombies. Thousands of them, mixed with several dozen Adults, are closing on our position."

The commander wiped the sweat off his forehead. "When will they reach us?"

"Early tomorrow morning, if they keep their pace."

"Damn! If it wasn't for that Alpha-Prime this mess would be over already!"

"What are we going to do Commander?" Brian asked fearfully.

"It's hopeless. I-I don't know. Give me a couple of minutes on my own to think." The Commander stepped out of the tent and disappeared.

"What do you think-" Olivia was interrupted by a gunshot.

"They're here already?" The squad E captain sputtered.

"Great job Mike! You just got us fucking killed!" Steve yelled as they rushed out for the final confrontation.

They found their Commander face down, a bloody pistol in his hand. They stood over the body, unable to accept what had happened. The Commander had committed suicide.

"Now what do we do?" A scientist asked.

"I'm the leader now." Olivia answered. "I have the most razorblades. Get-"

"There is no way I'm gonna follow a woman!" Steve roared, stepping towards her.

She pulled out a pistol and pointed it at his face. "I've had enough of your reckless temper Steve! You will listen to me, or you will die."

"There's no time for this!" Brian shouted desperately stepping forward to Steve's defense.

Olivia pulled out a second pistol and pointed it at him. "Back off. This has nothing to do with you."

"Honey. Please put the guns down." Mike came up to her from behind and rested his hands on her shoulders.

She turned to look him in the eyes. Steve used the distraction to his advantage and charged.

Olivia darted to the side and pistol whipped him in the side of the head. Steve fell to the ground face first, then rolled over to look her in the eyes.

"Nice move clumsy." Olivia taunted pointing the pistol down at him, the other still aimed at Brian. Mike stared in horror. "Now," She glared at him. "Are you with me, or are you dead?"

"You wouldn't you bitch!" Steve went to stand up.

The gun fired, making both Mike and Brian twitch. The ground to the left of Steve's head sizzled. Fear flowed through his face.

"I wont miss again. Now I'll ask one more time. Are you with me?"

Steve looked from Olivia's cold eyes to the smoking barrel of the gun. "Yeah, I'm with you."

"Okay, now let's get a move on." She stuck her pistols back into her belt. "Pack up camp. We leave as soon as possible."

"What's the plan?" Brain asked.

"We're going to try and find the entrance to Hydra. It'll shelter us from the sandstorm and we may be able to have the zombies pass right over us. Hopefully there's food and water in the facility."

"But what if-"

"Don't bother." She stopped him. "If anything goes wrong then we die. That's it. It may sound bleak, but it's the only shot we've got. We just need to have faith. Now do as I said."

"Yes ma'am."

The men split up and began giving out orders to dismantle the camp.

Olivia stepped over to their radio and turned it on. "This will be the last transmission from the Guillotine Squad. We are out of water, out of food, almost out of ammunition, and we've lost half of our fighting force against Alpha-Prime today. We're surrounded by countless zombies and Adults closing in on our position. If you haven't encountered an Adult yet be careful. Don't sleep alone and always be on your guard. We are attempting a last ditch effort to end the Pandemic but the odds are against us. If anyone is listening, goodbye and have faith."