Status: This writing is a bit dated. It'll progressively improve through the series.

Pandemic

The Other Survivor

Dual Strain Industries

21:49 Hrs August 10th

Hydra sublevel 1

Blood was everywhere, walls, floor, and, ceiling. The flashlights that weren't broken in the fight were attached to their automatic rifles on the ground, throwing oblique lighting across the stairwell. Limbs and organs lay strewn across the floor, often with a piece of bloody clothing attached. All was not quiet however as the decayed Laboratory Grid Hydra personnel moved about and picked at the remnants.

There was one survivor other than the sergeant. The demolitionist, Eric. He was hiding in one of the rooms midway between the stairs and the entrance.

-I have to get out. I have to get out. I have to get out.- The same instructions reeled off in his head over and over.

Eric slowly stood up from his hiding spot and shakily peered out of the doorway towards the stairs. He was too afraid to use his flashlight, for fear of alerting the hollow kind to his presence. He wanted to load his gun for defense, but was afraid the noise would be heard. Instead, he silently tiptoed over to the facility entrance. Eric pushed on the metal doors. There was a slight groan, but it wouldn't budge. He stood still for several minutes to make sure nothing heard the noise. He thought he heard clicking from somewhere in the hallway but wasn't sure.

He figured either the tank was back on the door or the rock was pulled back over it. Eric pulled out a heavy rectangular box with wires wrapping around it and C-4 printed in bright red on the top. He placed on the closest step to the doorway. Quietly he slipped down the hallway and into the closest room outside the blast radius, and took out the remote detonator. He pushed the detonate button. A large blast rattled the facility, and smoke and debris raced down the hall and throughout Hydra. Eric dashed out of the room and hurried to escape. There was a deafening roar behind him and a chaotic rhythm of clicking. He sprinted up the blown apart stairs. He was into the desert, a crippled, overturned tank by the entrance.

He ran as hard as he could. He wanted to be anywhere but near the building. Eric's followers were close behind, running considerably faster, making up ground. He noticed and pushed himself harder. But the adrenaline had already been wasted on the useless emotion, fear.

Soon Eric was near his limit, while the decayed, weak predators showed absolutely no fatigue. His legs failed him and he fell into the sand. He reached out in vain to pull himself forward, but they were already on top of him.