Status: Hopefully you'll love it.

Lady of Sparta

Last Day

The days passed by like a sleeping turtle having a walking dream. I thought about taking an earlier flight and skipping the last week of my sophomore year in college. I knew what my parents would say, so I stuck with the later flight. I hadn't even told them about my trip yet. I planned on telling them when I visited them in Miami before getting on the plane.

Friday was the last day making me glad that I only had a couple of days to wait. When I walked into Mr. Reynolds class room, I could feel his eyes on me. I had already returned the books he lent me which was more than enough to write the paper. Mr. Reynolds might have been an attractive man to others, but to me he made the hair on the back of my neck stand up in the most terrible way. His dark eyes seemed to undress me, forcing me to pull my jacket closer. I hated walking into this class with his eyes on me.

Allison was jealous that I had gotten into one of his classes while she was stuck across the hall dreaming about the beach. I almost told her that I wanted to switch classes with her just to shut her up and to get me out of his sight. She could have him for all I cared. I dreaded coming to this class just because of him especially today.

I sat down in the middle of the room like I always do-next to the guy who drools. It really wasn’t my choice to sit next to him. He always came in a little late, and the only spot open was next to me. A girl sat on the other side of me, but she was always on her phone acting like she was the only person in the room. I pulled out the supplies I needed mentally preparing myself for the test today.

I heard someone sitting down next to me. I turned to see my usual neighbor, but today he didn't look sleepy like he normally did. He was actually awake like he had just drank a few cups of coffee. He even smiled at me, showing me his white teeth. I returned the smile trying to be friendly before turning back into my own space.

There was the uncomfortable feeling on me like there always was. Reynolds walked down the rows handing papers to everyone. He stared at me, and I looked at everything but him. I almost pulled my jacket tighter around myself again even though it was barely showing anything below my neck.

I quickly went through the test double-checking I have everything right before turning it in along with my essay. I was never the first one to finish anything, so I was the tenth person to finish before leaving the classroom. I didn't really care if he was going to say any words of encouragement for the summer or not. I didn't care as I walked out to my car.

Trevor leaned against the driver’s side of my car making it impossible for me to escape or think about avoiding him. He straightened his back when he saw me stopping in front of him. “What do you want?” I asked crossing my arms.

“I want to talk, Gemma,” he answered holding his hands up. His eyes almost glistened with tears. “I miss you.”

I was shocked to hear that. I didn't know that he missed me, but I wasn't going to let that sway me into giving into him. I stood my ground. “Trevor, you think that you missing me is going to send me running back into your arms?”

His tan face frowned at me. “No, but I was hoping that it would at least count for something. It has to. You've been avoiding me,” he pointed out. Hurt ringed in his voice, making me feel bad.

“Isn't that what you’re supposed to do when you break up with someone?” I glared at him hoping he would end this conversation soon.

“I don’t know what’s gotten into you. Maybe it’s because you’re going to Greece. Is it because you don’t want anyone tying you down? I’ll go with you if you want me to.” His words were like a slap to the face. He offered to come with me now.

“Trevor, this has nothing to do with me being tied down. You say that now, but would you have come with me three months ago when I actually asked you to come with me?” I yelled at him, throwing my arms out. "Because I do remember that you told me that you would never go to Greece."

He crossed his arms standing firmly in front of me. He seemed to searching his thoughts, but he couldn’t come up with anything to say. Trevor was never one who wanted to see the world. He liked the suburb of Miami where the sun constantly beat down. He could never be away from ocean long enough for me even have the hopes of this turning into a great thing like he seemed to want from me.

“You don’t have anything to say, do you?” I asked him. I waited until he shook his head no before continuing, “I knew it. If you want to talk, at least be prepared for questions like this.”

He stepped away from my car leaving me alone in the parking lot. I get in and drive away to pick up my bags, and drive the thirty minutes to Miami. There were less children out this time, but a couple of them where sitting on the swings watching me closely. I ignored them as much as I could. I walked up the stairs to see my landlord standing in front of my door.

“I’m sorry if you were waiting a long time. I had a test in my last class,” I apologized standing in front of her.

“Oh, I just got up here. I’m just here to wish you a good trip, and three months’ rent,” she explained quickly with a warm smile.

Mrs. Wren was a middle-aged woman with graying red hair. She was a kind woman who raised six children and ran the apartment building while her husband ran the hotel in the middle of the town. It was a miracle that she stayed so calm and patient when I knew her youngest one was always getting into some sort of trouble.

“Oh, alright. I left the check in the apartment,” I said pointing to the door. “I’ll be right back.”

I never invited her in. It always seemed strange for her to come into the apartment. She never asked to come in. She nodded, and I went inside and grabbed the check. I slipped it into an envelope before handing her the white object.

She smiled and left after telling me to have a safe trip. I grabbed my bags and carried them down to make before heading towards the highway. I could only try to prepare myself for what is going to happen at my parents’ house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, there's Trevor. Tell me what you think.

Oh, yeah, go check this story out: Humanity