Status: Hopefully you'll love it.

Lady of Sparta

Changes

Embry left after telling me that he would talk to Gaston. He gave me a wink before walking out the door. Something told me it was meant to be seductive, but it had no effect on me. I was almost expecting him to lick his lips, but he didn’t. He just shut the door behind him and took his disturbing stares with him. I actually felt myself relax a little bit when the door clicked shut.

Germaine seemed to notice that and said, “Don’t worry about Embry. He’s all bark and no bite. Or I believe that’s how you say it. I’m not very sure about your sayings. I have only been in your time era a few times.”

I couldn’t believe that she said something that sounded like my time. I looked at her strange, wondering how she knew that. Of course, she did say that she has been in my time. I had to admit it was kind of odd that she had a more common name in my time era than this, but she did say that she was from Atlantis. Maybe they were a little more advanced for the time now. Or she adopted the name for me.

“Aristides told me that you were in a thorn bush. I would like to take a look at your arm,” she said in a calm tone. It reminded me of a doctor’s voice. “I’m also would like to know how you felt after leaving the time lapse.”

I showed her my arm and told her about puking up my lunch. She just nodded. She asked if I was tired, forcing me to tell her about the plane ride. She just nodded like it was nothing new to her, but Aristides looked at me shocked. I didn’t even think about why he would be shocked about that.

“We can’t fly,” he argued. “We don’t have wings like a bird.”

“Aristides, she comes from a time where technology is more advanced. Planes are machines that can carry people through the air. She didn’t fly, but she was in a machine that could,” Germaine explained. She sounded a little annoyed, but she didn’t let it get the best of her. It appeared to me that she didn’t like to explain different times. “It’s going to be different for her, adjusting to the lack of technology she is used to.”

He scoffed before going into the other room slamming the door shut. I could hear the footsteps as he paced the ground before throwing himself onto something. His reaction seemed a little much, but maybe he was getting as tired as I was about this whole ordeal.

Germaine just shook her head and continued to clean my wounds again. “I’m surprised you aren’t screaming bloody murder for us to take you home,” she pointed out.

“Well, Embry said that he would have to talk to Gaston, so why should I worry?” I asked her.

Honestly, I wanted to scream and argue until I was going to be taken home, but what good was it going to do? It’s not going to make them help me faster. If anything, it was going to slow them down. I just had to hope that things would get done. I was still trying to work things out in my head somehow. I was just starting to come to terms with the time lapse concept.

“Gaston may be able to find a way. Usually the Magic Lapse won’t open without you completing the reason why you are here. I couldn’t tell you what that is. That’s beyond my knowledge,” she explained. “Just another reason why its name is the Magic Lapse.”

“Couldn’t I go back through the other lapse?” I asked just remembering that they said there were two time lapses in Sparta.

“Sadly, that won’t work. The other lapse would bring you to this time if you walked through your time, but since you walked through the lapse, it’ll just send you further back in time,” she explained. “Time lapses are continuous, but they remember who has walked through them. They will send them back to the time they belong in like it never happened. The Tree Lapse doesn't know you.”

I didn’t say anything as I took in that information. It was appearing that the only way I was going to get back would be either to find my reason for being here or if Gaston could find a way to send me back. I had no idea as to why I was here and how I was going to get back to my time.

She wrapped my arm again in bandages before standing up with a smile. She patted my shoulder and went towards the door. She turned to look at me before leaving. “I know this seems kind of rude, but we are going to have you stay here with Aristides. He seems to like you, and besides Atlantis isn’t safe for outsiders,” she informed me and shut the door behind her.

I sat alone for a few minutes before Aristides came back out of the room. He gave me a weak smile as he sat down on the crate. “They have machines that can fly?” he asked, curiosity ringing in his voice. There was an apology hiding in his voice as well. He just didn’t have the courage to say the words. He seemed like every guy I had met who refused to admit when they were wrong.

I nodded. “And cars that aren’t pulled by horses. There are many things that we have.”

I still had some trouble deciphering his unevolved words, but I was getting better. He seemed to understand what I was saying although with some trouble. It was clear in his face that he was trying to make sense of the words.

He leaned over and picked up the phone that I tossed aside. He tried to see what it was, but it looked foreign in his hands. His face was clouded with confusion. His eyebrows grew closer as he concentrated on it.

“That’s my phone!” I grabbed it from his hands out of habit. I never let anyone look through my phone. “You can’t just go looking through it.”

He looked at me strangely. I could understand now why he didn’t know what I was talking about. He didn’t know about technology. The thought of a phone hadn’t even been thought of then. They probably wrote to each other or met in person. It was much more personal in this time compared to mine.

“You talk weird,” he pointed out.

I laughed more to myself. “I could say the same about you.”

He smiled, showing me his white teeth. They seemed to glow against his tanned skin. He seemed to be thinking about something, but he shook the thought away. “Well, what’s different in the future with the language?”

“It evolved,” I pointed out. “Grammar and the slang changed.”

He continued to ask questions about what it was like for me. I was kind of shocked that he was this interested. He seemed like the type to not want to know. I had to admit that I liked talking about it. Everyone knew how to work a smart phone, but he had never thought of something like that being invented. I smiled to myself. These were going to be an interesting few days, or at least I was hoping it would only be a few days.

We stayed inside for the day. I was sure that he would have to go somewhere at some point, and I didn’t know if I wanted to be alone in this small house. I was hoping that I wouldn’t have to be in the past for long, and I was hoping to get back to my vacation or what would be left of it. I would go home and not even mention anything about a time lapse. I didn’t want to forget that this happened. It was just that no one would believe me when I told them that I literally went back to ancient Sparta and met people from Atlantis. It just wasn’t something that could be believed. I would be locked in an asylum if I told people about this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, sorry for the wait. I do hope that you are enjoying this. Don't be afraid to leave a comment.