Status: Updates as often as possible

The One That Got Away?

Not So Welcome Anymore

Summer Jhonson had only meant to stay two days and be out of Sidney's hair, but there she was a week later. She had explained that it didn't make sense for her to go to home and fly back when her husband landed tomorrow afternoon. So, she moved into one of the guest rooms and seemed to make Lorie's life hell just for fun. She was extremely good at it to. More than on e Sidney found himself wanting to throttle the woman. It seemed the more time he spent with the family the thinner Maegan's story seemed to stretch. She was his fiancé so he would always give her the benefit of the doubt, even if his instincts were screaming at him. Maegan and Lorie seemed to be doing more sisterly things as well. Lorie seemed to thrive with the attention her new sister gave her, he hoped that neither of them would get burned in the process.

Sid sat on the couch watching the news, drinking coffee Lorie had made early this morning. She was currently in the big reclining chair with her glasses on and her red ink pen scribbling away on a new manuscript. All she seemed to do was wok, and the two had an unspoken language. She would make coffee, they would share it, and they would complete their morning rituals in silence. He often got caught staring at her, watching as that unruly piece of hair fluttered down from her ponytail that she constantly pushed back. Every once in a while she would get a perplexed look on her face, and look something up on her phone. Then she would drop the device and begin writing again. He noticed she never received text messages or phone calls, at least none he could remember. She had a Sherlock tshirt on and sweatpants with an Adipose design. It took everything in him not to tease her on her nerdiness, Lord knows she was the definition of nerdy. Whenever she would catch him looking at her, she would hold his gaze for a second, her cheeks would redden, and then drop back down to her reading.

He heard the patter of feet before two hands covered his eyes. Maegan bent down and whispered in his ear "guess who?" He smiled and set his coffee on the end table so he could attack.

"Is it my beautiful fiancé?" He asked.

"Maybe." Maegan teased uncovering her eyes and draping herself over the back of the couch. He grabbed her forearms and dragged her down to the couch pulling her on top of him. She let out a squeal as she fell on top of him. He tickled her sides and rocked her around. Both of them were laughing and having fun. It was almost as if it was just them. They were in the so in love with one another bliss he was ridiculously happy. She was his Maegan and soon they would be together forever. His heart warmed at the sight of carefree Maegan, the one he knew and loved. His Maegan. A cough coming from behind them caused them both to peer over the couch like a kid who had their hand in the cookie jar.

"Nice to see you two getting along." Summer smiled down at the couple. Maegan propped up on his chest to look over the couch at her mother.

"She started it." Sidney said innocently.

"Nuh-uh! He starters it!" She protested and he rolled them off the couch and onto the floor. Maegan squealed again, giggling with a broad smile. He turned his head to look over at Lorie and noticed her absence. He frowned for a second and an emotion he couldn't name washed over him. Where had she gone? Why did she leave the room? He hoped that she didn't feel uncomfortable.

"Where did Lorie go?" Sidney asked.

"She said something about going for a fun." Summer muttered before changing the subject to talk about weddings.

"I was thinking we could go out wine tasting tonight?" Maegan suggested.

"As long as I don't have to drink much and we're home early I have to get a good sleep tonight." Sidney said.

"Okay, I suppose." Summer admonished. She was hoping for a night on the town.

"I'll make some breakfast." Maegan said and Sindey swatted her behind as she got up, and she flashed him a sassy smile as she retreated into the kitchen.

~
The pounding of her feet on concrete was all Lorie could concentrate on along with a piano epic blasting through her headphones. She ran whenever she was stressed or needed to clear her mind. Today it was both. She couldn't understand why she was so affected to see Sidney and Maegan acting like a normal couple, she couldn't understand her reaction. She felt a mixture of jealousy and hurt and anger at herself for letting herself get so attached to him that she could feel that way. Lorie wasn't that girl, that was something she prided herself on. She never went out with or had feelings towards taken men, but here she was. She was different she was supposed to be different from her sisters. Her head was swirling with confusing emotions and was so confused. She was looking forward to seeing her dad tomorrow. She hadn't seen her father in almost a year and had only talked to him a few times within that year. He was busy with work and she was equally busy, but she loved her dad more than everything.

Lorie kept running in nonsensical directions until she couldn't run anymore. She bent over and braced her hands on her upper thighs drawing in deep breaths trying to regulate her heartbeat. It was then she looked up and noticed that she didn't know where she was. Nothing looked familiar and she couldn't remember what ways she had turned. She was in some residential area an unmarked park was off to her left. She didn't know what to do, it was scary to think she didn't know who to call. But...

"I'm lost. Do you think you could come get me?" Lorie asked.

~
James came rolling around in his sleek black car no more than ten minutes later. Turns out she ran about ten miles from Sidney's house and ended up closer to the neighborhood James lived in. He pulled up right next to the curb and opened the passenger door from the inside. Lorie heaved a sigh of relief and walked towards his car and slid in. She turned to look at him and he flashed her a dazzling smile. She smiled a him as she buckled in.

"Thank you so much for picking me up! I didn't know who else to call." Lorie said and cringed at the connotation of her words. Meanwhile, James's heart swelled to think she called him instead of her sister or Crosby.

"Always up to help a damsel in distress." James replied cheekily.

"Well you swooped in just when I needed you most." Lorie smiled again.

"Can I buy this damsel breakfast?" James asked. Lorie blushed at his wiggling eyebrows.

"Okay. But aren't I supposed to get this one?"

"I would never let a damsel pay for her own food." James teasingly chided.

"Okay then. I'll get next time." Lorie said firmly.

"Next time, eh?" James joked, causing Lorie's cheeks to flush a crimson red.

Once the pair got to the small diner it was nearing time for lunch. James ran around the car to open Lorie's door in time, offering his hand to help her out. He preformed a mock salute and didn't drop Lorie's hand as he walked her to the door and opened that door as well.

"Mr. Chivalrous today?" Lorie teased as he let her walk past him. James slid his arm around her lower back and tugged her into his side.

"That mouth will get you in trouble missy." James joked looking down at her. Lorie tensed when he initially pulled her into his side, but now she was relaxed and open to the contact. He was so sweet and charming that she couldn't help but be warmed by his sweet and adoring affection. They were lead to the table in the far corner and immediately picked up their 50s style menus and began deciding which of the succulent meals to order. Lorie settled on a cheeseburger and James joined in.

"Are you excited for tomorrow's game?" Lorie asked.

"I can't wait for it to happen. Even better we're opening at home. Wait, you're a hockey can right?" James inquired.

"Major Kings fan. I'm glad the offseason is over. I don't think I could wait another moment for the season to kick up." Lorie replied.

"Kings fan, eh? Well I hope the Penguins will do." James bantered.

"I will be watching! I'm excited to actually watch you guys and know that I know you guys in real life." Lorie admitted like a school girl.

"Are you excited to go to Consul?" He asked.

"No. I'm actually staying home." Lorie admitted. "There's not enough tickets to take everyone so I was odd-man out."

"you can't be serious." James deadpanned, a fry halfway in his mouth.

"I'm quite serous." Lorie replied.

"You're going. I'll give you a ticket. And don't even try to protest, you can go out to dinner with me for payment." James said stopping her from interjecting.

"I honestly can't..." James sent her a warning glance. "Alright I'll go."

"Good. I'll give you a t-shirt to wear."

"Okay." Lorie smiled glancing up at him.

“At least I’ll have one fan in the building.” James joked .

“Don’t be modest Mr. Neal we both know you have a great deal of fans.” Lorie sassed.
“At least I’ll have one that means something to me.” James said with all seriousness, his blue eyes piercing her hazel ones. She blushed furiously and looked back down at her unfinished meal. The rest of lunch went well, conversation floating easily. She never heard her phone buzzing as it sat on the booth next to her.

~
Lorie rolled in somewhere around one o’clock, after James insisted on stopping somewhere to pick up her Neal shirsey. She laughed at his antics but accepted the shirt and promised to root and cheer for him at tomorrow’s game. She kissed his cheek before exiting the car and bounded up the stair giddy from her…date? She didn’t think about Sid once, up until she saw him in the big reclining chair with his eyes fixed on her as she entered the house. The minute she shut the door the deafening silence and anger radiating off him was enough to make her stop in her tracks. What had she done now?

“Nice of you to come home.” He remarked locking her in his sights. Truth be told, Sidney was pissed and Lorie wasn’t getting away that easy. Not if he had anything to say about it. It was just the two of them in the house as Maegan and Summer had left the house for a mother/daughter day.

“Excuse me?” Lorie asked shocked by his abrasive mood.

“I think you heard me. Nice of you to come home, with James no less. You take off without a word tell no one how long you plan to be gone for and come prancing back up the steps after a date with my teammate?” He asked harshly. Implication full in his voice.

“What exactly is that supposed to mean?” Lorie hissed at him. “And since when did I start needing your approval to leave the house with anybody. Furthermore, who gave you the right to say who I could and could not spend time with?” Lorie snapped, her temper flaring. Lorie was usually meek and easygoing but she had a temper that would not quit if she had enough of someone.

“When he’s my teammate I damn well have a say.” Sidney bit out.

“Since when do you have a claim on me? Did I miss that memo, because I thought you got through your thick, childlike skull? Doesn’t this conversation sound vaguely familiar?”

“Name calling, really? You’re a naive little girl Lorie. Grow up and start accepting reality like any other person. Stop screwing with my relationships and stop being such a bitch to Maegan. I’m starting to agree with Summer, maybe you mom really did just want to get away from you.” The minute the word flew from Sidney’s mouth he wanted nothing more than to take them back. Lorie sucked in a ragged breath and her eyes immediately watered. She had never had someone hurt her like that. She looked like a deer in headlights wanting to run but her body wouldn’t listen. Instead, she crumpled and fell to her knees. A sob wrenched through her body all the while her eyes remained trained on Sidney, letting him see the damage he had done. Tears were streaming, her breaths started hyperventilating.

In a moment Sidney rushed to her and fell to the ground trying to pull her in his arms. She let out a scream that was clogged with tears and thrashed in his embrace. His touch stung, everything hurt. He was such a kind man, but to say something like that. How could he? She tried scrambling on her knees to get away from him but he held her.

“I’m so sorry baby, I didn’t mean it. You could never so that to someone. You’re so kind and warm. Please baby, believe me. I didn’t mean it, I swear. Baby look at me, I didn’t mean it.” He desperately pleaded with her. Her body didn’t stop shaking but instead of fighting she gripped a fist in his shirt and held onto him. He scooped her up in his lap and carried her to her room. He whispered sweet words in her ear and ran his hands down her back as her carried her up the stairs. He sat down on the bed and pulled her into his lap desperate to take the pain away.

“Do- do you rea-really think that?” she choked out looking up at him. She had the most trusting and kind eyes. It killed him to have said that to her.

“No baby, I could never think that. Your mother loved you, because nobody could hate you. Everybody you meet loves you. I’m so sorry Lore. I really didn’t mean it. I was just angry and jealous. I’m so sorry.” He said over and over to her. He rocked her until her body stopped shaking and her breaths evened out. He tucked her into bead and headed to the whiskey in his room. He downed a glass and couldn’t bear to look at himself in the mirror. When she crumbled to the floor he felt like his world was ending. He had damaged the most amazing and pure person he had ever met. He would spend and eternity main up for this colossal mistake.
♠ ♠ ♠
I tried to mix things up. Thoughts on what should happen? PLEASE COMMENT AND SUSCRIBE!!!