Status: Updates as often as possible

The One That Got Away?

Retainers

The ride home was incredibly awkward for Lorie. Sindey seemed mad at her and refused to speak a word to her. She wasn't sure what she had done worn, but he seemed furious. Megan and Sid mad aimless chatter the entire way home ignoring Lorie. She should have been hurt by their exclusion, but this summed up her entire high school career, so she couldn't really complain. Lorie tried to figure out why Sid was mad at her but she couldn't identify it. Had she said something offensive? He seemed to be enjoying her company up until their time at the diner? He seemed to be fine up until the very end, but Lorie couldn't figure out what she said to set him off, unless... Was Sid mad that James asked for her number? Yes, that must be it! That was the only thing she could think of, but why would he be mad? he was marrying her sister for crying out loud! It was incredulous, but it was the only thing that made sense. Maybe he was mad she was going on a potential date with one of his teammates? Lorie was flattered by the gesture, but she wasnt looking for a relationship, especially with someone who lived across the country from her. She did however enjoy the attention, even if it was only for a little while. Lorie wasn't a fan of relationships unless they were serious, what was the point of having a relationship neither of them was invested in?

When the trio arrived home Sidney raced up the stairs and hid somewhere in the house. Lorie scooped up Shakespeare and followed Megan to her new room. Her new space was on the opposite side of the house from Megan and Sidney, which she was eternally great full for. She knew Megan. The room's standard brown carpet and cream colored walls were typical for a guest room. There was a king sized bed and a dresser in the room, and a connecting bathroom. She was thankful for her own bathroom because she didn't have to walk on the wooden hallways in the middle of the night in her fuzzie socks. Her socks, level of coordination, and wood floors did not mix well. She placed Shakespeare's bowl on the floor and poured him his dinner. He sat contentedly munching on his kibble while she unpacked and laid her bathroom products out on the counter.

She stripped out of her outfit for the day and put on her pajamas. She had blue sweatpants with the police box patch on one of the thighs, yes they were Tardis sweatpants. Her shirt was slightly baggy and had Shakespeare quotes written all over it. She pulled all the grime off her face and pulled her out of her face using a thin elastic headband, and popped in her retainer. She promptly sunk into the standard blue sheets, and Shakespeare snuggled into her side. She laid in the dark and starred at the ceiling, her mind running wild. Her cat was kneading her skin and purring while drifting off to sleep. As she laid there her mind drifted off to the first time she met her stepmother and stepsisters. Her mother had not been dead long enough in her opinion, and her dad was marrying his secretary. Her new mother, Summer was a bleach blonde who had been to the tune up center one too many times. She was shocked to see how shallow her father was. Chantal and Megan were entirely different. They were drop dead gorgeous, thin, and we're popular. Lorie was about forty pounds overwinter and had glasses. The we're both seniors, like Lorie, and made her life a living hell. The first day they met they made up nicknames about her being fat and her four eyes. When she complained to her father he showed no sympathy. They moved in that day and ruined her life. They both were Ann instant success in high school, climbing to the top of the food chain in no time. Chantal began dating Lorie's high school crush and outed her to the entire school. Megan and her clique tormented her every day, and in turn the entire school joined in. She didn't have a friend in the world, only her writing. Lorie moved out the day she graduated high school at sixteen and a half. She skipped a grade after all. She often wondered what she did to deserve the treatment she received, but she never asked. Megan and Chantal broke her and her only coping measure was to write about it. She focused on publishing books and graduating high school.

Lorie looked over at the clock that read one am, and the worst part, she was thirsty. She crawled out of bed and tiptoed down stairs, almost falling down countless times in her fuzzy socks. She finally maneuvered down to the kitchen and flipped on the small light over the sink, not daring to turn on the over head light. She surveyed the cupboards trying to asses what one would contain the cups. She opened the first one and stood on her tiptoes to try to get a better look.

Suddenly, the overhead light was flipped on and a deep voice pierced the silence.

"What are you doing?" Sidney asked her. He did not expect the reaction he saw. She jumped about three feet in the air, let out a quell, and upon falling on the slick tile fell to the ground. Sidney burst out laughing behind her as she lay on her back on the floor.

"'ow." Lorie groaned. She turned to look at Sidney beat red with tears brimmed in his eyes from laughing so hard. He was wearing a plain white tshirt and blue, plaid pajama bottoms. She attempted to get up but her socks caused her to fall back down on her but again. Another wave of laugter seized him.

"Is not fuhnny!" Lorie cried out with her atrocious lisp.

"What is wrong with your voice?" he asked through the laughter to a still sitting Lorie. Lorie blushed and tuned her head away.

"Noting." she replied, but failed at saying the word "nothing".

"Oh come on it can't be that bad..." Sidney coaxed. Lorie smiled and he was a band of metal stretched across her top and bottom row of teeth. "Is that a retainer?" He asked incredulously.v

"yep." Lorie said popping the "p".

"I didn't picture you as a retainer type." he replied extending his hand to her. She grasped his hand and he pulled her up abruptly causing her to bump into his chest, almost molding him to her. His breath hitched at her close proximity. It was impossible to stay mad at her for long, she was so fun and loving he couldn't do it. Her outfit was especially refreshing, compared to the skimpy night gowns Megan wore. For some reason it excited him she wore a retainer. Her lisp was adorable, epically on her, considering she had a sharp tounge and expansive vocabulary. It was so hard to find a fault in her and all the ones she had were incredible. Lorie blushed and took a step back from him.

"Tanks." Lorie replied embarrassed, earning a smile from Sidney.

"What are you doing up?" Sidney asked trying to keep Lorie talking.

"Water." she said shortly. Sidney nodded and opened up a cupboard to get her a glass. As he was filling it up at the sink a question popped into his head.

"Why was Megan so surprised to see you at the air port today? It was like she didn't even recognize you?" Sidney asked and he ward all the air leave her lungs. "You don't have to answer me." he offered seeing here uncomfortable.

She held up a hand and turned around pulling out her retainers so she could answer his questions seriously and wrapped enter up in a paper towel. Sidney sat at the island and waited for her to join him. She sat down and dropped her gave to her entwined hands resting on her lap. "No, it's a fair question. Before I moved out at seventeen I was fat. I haven't seen Megan since I was twenty and I was still overweight then."

"What do you mean you moved out at seventeen?" Sidney asked curious.

"That's when I graduated high school." Lorie said.

"Wait, how old are you?" he asked.

"Twenty-two." she replied.

"You haven't seen Megan since you were twenty?" he questioned incredulously.

"Chantal, Megan, and I clashed." she replied placidly.

"So during holidays did you spend them with you mom?" he asked, and Lorie froze. Had Megan honestly not told him.

"What did Megan tell you about my mom?" she asked trying to control her anger.

"She said you mom walked out on you."

"Typical Megan." Lorie mumbled.

"What does that mean?" Sidney asked in Megan's defense even if it was weak.

"It means your fiancé didn't explain everything to you." she said. "Thaks for the water Sidney." Lorie said getting up retreating back up the stairs. He sighed and watched her go. What did she mean by that? Megan definitely had some questions to answer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Once agin off my iPad! COMMENT AND SUSCRIBE!!!! PLEASE!!!! Not proofread!!