One Way

Monday Mornings

The world seemed to mock me as I walked through the hallways. People stared, but I wasn't sure if they were staring at me. I just lowered my head until I made into homeroom. I sat in my regular seat, furthest in the back. I took out my notebook and stared at the one-line poem I couldn't finish. What made it even worse was that I couldn't even finish it now. This block was still here.

The last bell rang and people started piling into the room. No one I talked to. I normally didn't talk to people much unless I've known them for a long time and we had a lot of mutual friends. This homeroom was just filled with club heads and jocks. A couple of gothic kids, and this pair of nerd girls who never spoke and did homework every morning.

My teacher turned up the speakers as the morning news came on. It was probably one of the crapiest school news shows to ever be aired. The camera quality sucked and they always started off with really depressing stories like 'cat killed in fire' or 'sorry guys but lunch funding has been cut leaving this weeks menu with nothing but crappy mac n cheese.' That actually happened once.

"Good morning Hawks, and lets welcome this beautiful Monday." I recognized the voice. I looked up and saw Kelly Raise and Jack Globalizer anchoring. The two most annoying kids in the entire senior class. I've known both of them since middle school and I've hated them since then. They use to just completely ignore my name and just call me Lesbi Ari. Them along with twenty other kids. This was just because I came out to being bi in the sixth grade to one of my friends. She found out I had a crush on her, and told the whole school I was trying to get into every girls pants and that everyone should just stay away from me.

Incase you didn't know, middle school is one of the worst times to come out of the closet. Kids are really mean at that age. It use to take my mom and all of my brothers to get me out of the house just to go to school. It got pretty bad.

"This week were celebrating Erase the Hate: a campaign against bullying. You can pick up your T-shirts at the main office for fifteen dollars." I rolled my eyes. Not only are some of my past tormenters promoting no bullying, but they're using any excuse right now to get money. Even selling stupid T's. I'm so done with this school.

The bell rang for first period and I looked down at my note book.

I'm from a zombie deranged family.
And lesbian fantasies


I crossed out the last part. Still nothing. Mr. Monroe is going to have to give me an extension on this. I got up and walked to his class, which was on the opposite side of the school. There was a short cut I knew through the cafeteria, but was that really smart? I'm sure people were rushing out of there from breakfast. Instead, I took the long way.

Again, it felt as though everyone was staring at me. And again, they probably weren't. These people didn't even know me, why would they stare? Out of the nearly 3000 population of students here, probably only like, ten of them knew my name.

I looked down for a second to check if my shoes were tied and instantly I bumped into someone. Should have seen that one coming. I mean, I risk being knocked over even if I look up.

I dropped my bag on the floor and a couple of notebooks and folders came flying out. This was embarrassing. I knelt down to pick them up, while getting kicked everywhere.

Someone kicked all my stuff across the hall, and people laughed. Maybe it would be safer to be late for class rather than being trampled.

I waiting for the crowd to go down before trying to grab my things. Algebra folder, chemistry binder, three different books. That looked to be it except, of course, my creative writing notebook. That's real nice.

Some dick probably kicked it so far down, and then somebody found and kept it. All my poems and short stories were in that notebook. Everything I needed for my first class. I didn't have time to worry about that though. I was already late.

Maybe they'd turn it into the office. I mean, it has my first and last name written right on the front. I don't know why anyone would want to keep it. Unless they're using the pages to break up weed. Then I'd be pissed.

I walked in around five minutes late. Mr. Monroe gave me a scary look, but that was it. I was one of his favorites, so he never punished me. I think it's because he knew me better. Freshman year and junior year, he was my English teacher. Sophomore year, he basically ran detention and Saturday school. I saw him almost every day. Ad this year, it was creative writing.

I sat down in between Trish and Larry. Trish I could sometimes talk to. She was sweet and didn't really do much. Larry on the other hand, wasn't. He won't shut up half the time. And not to mention, what he talks about is pretty insulting. He's constantly making woman and gay jokes. Not to spite anyone or anything, it's just who he is. Plus, he gets a reaction from the class. Everyone but me. I never laughed at his jokes, and neither did Mr. Monroe. I can't even count the number of times this kid has gotten sent to our VP's office for being disrespectful.

"Okay, how about we share some poems. Larry, you want to go first?" Mr. Monroe asked. Larry stood up, making it seem like he was proud of his work. It probably sucked. The dude pretty much sucked at everything. And I'm not being mean. It's a fact.

He cleared his throat. "I'm from Baltimore, coming over a few years ago.
My father was a dentist. My mother was a hoe." The whole class burst out laughing. Even I couldn't help but smile a little bit. What a idiot.

"Larry, out." Mr. Monroe walked over to the phone on his desk while Larry packed up his back.

"That's fucking bullshit," he muttered. He quickly walked out and slammed the door, kids still laughing behind him. Mr. Monroe talked to the people down at the main office that someone was coming down. When he finished, he came back over to the rest of the class, looking as though nothing had happened.

He smiled. "Ari, you want to read your poem?" Crap, I knew he was going to call on me.

"Not really. It's kind of personal," I lied. He just shrugged and asked Trish right next to me. That's what was cool about him. You didn't have to present if you didn't feel comfortable.

Eventually class was over, and then so was American history, and then zoology. Basically, the day flew by to lunch. I walked into the lunch room and looked for at least one of my friends. Scott or Jesse would have been just fine. Until then, I sat down at the first table I saw. I probably stole this from a group of kids considering a bunch of them stared at me as they sat down at the table next to me. I waved at them to show I knew who they were looking at. Quickly, they all turned away. That's what I thought.

Out of nowhere, Jesse surprised me from behind. "We're going outside today, let's go." I grabbed my hand but I wouldn't budge.

"I don't have those senior privileges like you do. I'm going to have to sneak out the back." I got up and grabbed my bag. "Meet you there."

He nodded and walked away, about to go out the front of the building. I walked out of the cafeteria until I was stopped by someone. It was one of the science teachers. "Where are you going dear?" She asked.

"The nurse," I said before trying to escape.

"What for? I can't just let you walk out without telling anyone." That got me angry. I was seventeen years old and if I wanted to leave lunch, I could. These rules were ridiculous.

"I have women problems," I basically screamed before storming off. I'm sure that got the attention of anyone who was walking past. I didn't even care though. I just wanted to get outside.

I found myself putting a pencil to hold open the door so I could get back in. It was the trick my older brother, Paul, taught me my freshman year. He seemed confident in himself that day. It just so happens, we got caught. I got off the hook. Him on the other hand, got, like, three
Saturday schools.

I walked over to the smokers bridge, ducking anytime I went past a window with a full class inside.

The bridge was off school grounds, making it so we couldn't get in trouble smoking over here. Although, they have the school cop watch us every day after the bell rings to make sure we weren't doing anything serious. A couple kids were dumb enough to OD over here. I,on the other hand never get that fucked up this close to school.

I saw them on the other side of the bridge. Jesse, Scott, and sadly, Rachel. She was always hanging out with these guys now. It's kind of been pissing me off.

"What took you so long? We already started!" She screamed. Most likely she wouldn't stop complaining until she could get high.

"I don't have senior privileges. Had to sneak out." I dropped my bag down next to Scott and held my hand out so Rachel could hand me the blunt. She smiled and passed it over.

"Did you thank Scott?" She asked, sounding way too sweet. My face must have said I'm about to punch this girl in the face cause Scott quickly jumped in.

"She doesn't have to. Ari thanks me with her just speaking to me," he laughed. I smiled at him and took a couple hits before passing it off. I looked up at Jesse, still holding the smoke in. Eventually, I let it out.

"Did you text Kyle?" He asked. I shook my head.

"Kyle who?" Scott asked.

"Kyle. The Kyle that dated Lisa last year. He was at Naomi's house the other night. He asked me bout Ari," Jesse looked over at me. "And he might ask me about you again today."

"That's weird," Rachel commented.

Again, I was going to punch this girl in the face. "Why is it so weird?"

She looked scared. "I'm just saying, Kyle knows a lot of people. I've never really seen him talk to you much. And you seem really quiet towards most people. I just didn't think he'd notice you."

The blunt ended up back in my hand. I never took my eyes off her though, even when I was taking a drag. She still looked scared. I let the smoke out. "You seem to have it all figured out, don't you?" I passed the blunt over. "You know, I don't know why people talk to you either. You seem bitchy towards most people. I just don't think they'd like you."

Scott and Jesse's faces were priceless after I said that. I thought Jesse was going to explode from holding in his laughter. Scott, on the other hand, just looked like he couldn't believe I said that. Rachel's face though, she looked petrified now. I was pretty intimidating if I wanted to be. I've learned to use it to my advantage.

I faked smiled. "Kidding!" Her face turned beat red. Did this girl just have an aneurism? Nah. That be trippy if she did.

After a few minutes of meaningless chit-chat, the blunt was finished and I bummed a cigarette from Scott. He never disappoints when it comes to drugs or butts.

Rachel kept giggling, going off about how she was so high. The two boys were off in their own worlds, talking about some anime I haven't watched and probably wasn't going to watch. I hated anime. Except Attack on Titan. That one's actually pretty cool.

The lunch bell rang from inside the building. Didn't matter though, we were finished with everything anyways. "I'll see you guys after school," I screamed as I ran off to where I left the pencil in the door. I have to get there before someone notices the slight breeze coming into the hallway.

The pencil was still there, but there were already people walking past the door. Maybe if I could time it in between teachers, I wouldn't get caught.

That's exactly what I did. I looked to both sides and waiting until every adult was out of sight. I quickly opened the door and ran in. People noticed, but were probably use to it. I'm not the only person that sneaks in like that. In fact, this door in known for prison breaks.

I walked over to the stairs, until I was stopped by Mr. Monroe. "Ari!" He waved me over. "You never left your poem on my desk. You know the rule. If you don't present, then you have to leave it behind."

Shit. "Yeah, there's a problem with that. I... don't... have it..."

He just nodded, smiling. "So I guess you'll be doing it after school with me today?"

"Guess so." Then I remembered I was meeting Jesse after school. "I'm just going to be a little bit late. I have to discuss a paper with Ms. Glint. But I'll be here."

He smiled. "I'm counting on it." He then turned around and walked into his classroom. It looked like a group of freshmen. I actually saw my little brother, Holden, in there before he shut the door on me. I peered through the window and waved. He looked pretty embarrassed to see me. Whatever. I walked across the school and into the library for my study period.

What fun. No one to talk to me in here either. I just went on the computer and opened up Word while putting in my headphones.

The sweet sound of Dead Kennedys rang through my head. I think I made a story about a killer monkey during that whole period. It didn't matter though, because I always delete it afterwards. I hate computers, which is why I write everything down in my notebook. Which really sucks because it's missing. Whatever, I'll try to find it after school today.
♠ ♠ ♠
Song: Let's Lynch the Landlord by Dead Kennedys

I plan on making chapters longer. I think this one was longer compared to my last one.