Big City Dreams

Breakfast at Tiffany's

"Allie, wake up." Jared was nudging my shoulder. "Come on Allie time to wake up."

I grumbled and opened one eye. "It's like four in the morning Jared. I know we're married now and you're sexually insatiable but come on, let me sleep."

Jared let out a chuckle. "I'm not waking you up for sex sleepy head. It's our honeymoon and I have a surprise for you. Get dressed."

"Fine..." It was a surprise after all, and how could I say no to that face. I stretched out across the hotel room bed and sat up. I sat out and somehow dragged myself out of bed.

"You'd better have coffee for me."

"Don't worry, you'll get your coffee, just be patient."

I grunted, very unladylike mind you, and made my way towards the bathroom. After looking in the mirror I realized my hair was an unrelenting mess today, and that it had already decided that it wouldn't be tamed. I fished a hair tie out of my toiletry bag and put it in a wild ponytail. I touched my makeup up slightly and, after brushing my teeth, went to dig for clothes.

"What do I need to wear for this surprise?" I asked Jared, who was lounging across the bed looking smug.

"Anything will do, but a dress is fairly appropriate." I rolled my eyes. Of course I should wear a dress, I'd only spent the last week squeezing myself into every uncomfortable dress I owned after six months of my now in-laws driving me insane with wedding planning suggestions and ideas and must haves. Digging through my suitcase I pulled out a simple black dress and a bra with matching panties. Reluctantly I dressed, heading back into the bathroom for deodorant and some perfume. I went back out into the main room and snagged a pair of black flats from the floor, I'd gotten tired of my heels last night and switched out for my trusty favorites. I sat down on the bed and slipped on the shoes, scanning the room for my purse. Finding it, I stood and grabbed it.

"Alright I'm dressed. Now what?" I asked, staring at Jared. He smirked at me.

"To the car."

"Aren't you coming?"

"I'll meet you in a minute." I rolled my eyes at him and left the room.

Now normally, I wasn't nearly as crabby with my husband, however, after four hours of sleep in a bed that wasn't mine I was fairly agitated with everything and anything, so I probably pushed the elevator button with a little too much gusto.

I was leaning against the car when Jared walked up with one of his ties in his hand.

"Oh God, you're really serious about this surprise aren't you?"

"Yup." he replied smugly. I shook my head, but let him wrap the tie around my eyes and help me into the car. He climbed into the drivers seat and started the car. We backed out of the parking space and he continued to exit the lot.

We drove around for a while, and obviously even if I could see I would have been lost. We were honeymooning in New York City. Now, we live in Boston so obviously there is some animosity about sports teams and food, obviously NYC is the best place for shopping and for theater shows and the parks are a little nicer. I was musing about the differences between New York and Boston when Jared put the car in park.

"Wait here, I'll be back." He left the car for about ten minutes and when he returned I could smell the coffee he'd promised me.

"Can I have the coffee now?" I asked, growing a little impatient for a caffeine fix.

"Be patient Allie, we're almost there." I sighed, but nodded my head in assent.

Fifteen minutes later, Jared put the car in park again. He came around to my side of the car and helped me out of the door without falling on the ground. He had me step up a curb and then stopped me.

"Stand very still." he said. I could hear how smug he was. He went and grabbed what I assumed was the coffee out of the car, and returned to my side. He put a cup of coffee in my hand.

"Alright, drink your coffee." he said, fishing through what sounded like a paper bag. Finally after getting a few sips of coffee in me he handed me a pastry.

"Eat." he demanded. I raised an eyebrow.

"What's this all about?" I asked suspiciously.

"You'll see, just do it." I sighed and took a bite out of what he had handed me. It turned out it was some kind of cranberry orange scone thing. I chewed slowly, swallowed and took another sip of my coffee.

"Alright so what gives Jared?" He moved so he was behind me and removed the tie from around my eyes. I blinked a little, adjusting to the difference in light and looked up in front of me. I swear on my life I almost dropped my coffee when I realized what we were doing.

"We're having breakfast at Tiffany's?" I asked. Jared was smiling widely next to me.

"Surprise!" he said. I couldn't help but laugh and lean over for a kiss.