Red Georgia Hills

Others

Annabelle’s eyes open and she peered around, Becky and Zach were sleep with their backs turned to her “great now to slid out” She thought carefully crawling out from the blankets, she continued to crawl across the floor.

As silly as she felt she could not afford her footsteps making a lot of noise. She went over to her pack and slid it onto her back before grabbing her crossbow. Her eyes darted over to the three sleeping students. Still sound asleep.

“Good” she whispered to herself before crawling into the small kitchen of the log cabin. Annabelle was grateful that none of the wood floor boards decided they wanted to talk under her weight. Once Annabelle made it into the kitchen she stood up and stood in front of the side door. As she reached for the door knob she could hear dragging steps behind her.

Annabelle closed her eyes and gripped the knob, resolved not to turn around, she couldn’t turn around.

“Where are you going?” Zach asked leaning against the door frame, cradling his side. A tired smile on his face. “Ii can tell you it’s a bad idea to go on a night stroll” He said.

Quiet. Annabelle silent as stone looked at the door, her hand shook and bit “it’s simple Annie just turn the knob and walk out!” she screamed in her head. But for some reason her feet felt like led.

“Are you?” Zach asked looking over Annabelle he noticed she had all of her gear. “Are you leaving?” he asked lowly. Annabelle closed her eyes “My memories a bit fuzzy” she spoke..

“Why am I even explaining!” screamed her mind.

… “But I do remember I have a mission to see through…staying here is slowing me down I’ll move faster on my own” She stated. Zach cast his eyes to the floor “I suppose,” he chuckled “and why would the president’s daughter want to hang out with a bunch of losers anyway right” he asked a well hidden biter undertone.

“Annie!” she remember the sound of his voice using her nickname, and could swear she felt his breath on her neck. Annabelle frowned and turned to face him “Look I-“ she started, Zach yelled and fell back as the floor boards busted and arms clawed at the opening, “Oh fuck!” Zach called scrambling away from the Stinker crawling through the boards, Annabelle picked up a iron frying pan and smashed the Stinkers head like a pumpkin.
Crackle. Snap. Pow!

Another hand burst through the floor just on the over side of Zach, Annabelle flung the Frying pan at the Stinker as it popped it’s head through, narrowly missing Zach himself. Annabelle ran to Zach pulling him to his feet, they hopped over another cracking peace of floor board and into the living room. “Wake up!” Annabelle called but Becky and Emit were already awake.
“Why are they under house?” Becky shrieked as Emit shot at the Stinkers popping out of the wood. “I donno, maybe there people got bit and they didn’t know that they’d turn so they shoved them under the house?” Zach said “well I’m not the only one with a vivid imagination” Annabelle murmured diving her arrow into a Stinkers head. “Either way we need to get out of here” Emit called, Grabbing his bag and Becky’s. Annabelle grabbed up Zach’s bag and they ran for the front door.

“AHHHHH!”
BANG!

“Shit” Emit cursed having shot the walker that had been waiting just outside the door. He fired more rounds into the small herd that waited outside. “How are we going to get to the car, all these gunshots are going to draw more of them!”

A loud revving sound rocked the air, Annabelle looked up to see A large truck it’s headlight blaring, barbwire and spikes tied to the front bumper. Spot lights shining front he roof. A man leaned out of the passenger window a large torch in hand. In a blaze of orange the Stinkers were burned to ash.

“Wait!” the man called raising his hand up “Colin there are kids in there!” he called disappearing into the car. Annabelle watched puzzled “can they be trusted?” Becky asked “who the hell cares they’ve got rid of the Stinkers we need to hurry and get to the car!” Emit said Annabelle nodded for once she agreed with him. As they made to run the man popped back out of the window “Hey kids come on go to your car follow us!” the man called.

Emit and Becky took off for the car while the man set the coming Stinkers a flame. Annabelle shielded her eyes from the bright searchlights and headlights to get a glimpse of the man. “Come on Annie” Zach called tugging on her a bit “come on lets go” he called Annabelle took another glance at the man, it was useless the lights were too bright. With one last glance Annabelle followed after Zach and the four of them piled into the car, following after the truck as it pulled off.

“Where do you think he’s taking us?” Becky asked, Emit shook his head “I’m not sure, but we don’t have much choice but to follow, half of our rations are back in the cabin” Emit muttered.

So much for hot food.

Annabelle glanced at Zach who was holding his side, “this is so stupid, it’s broken back open” Zach muttered looking over his gunshot wound “here’s a though next time let the half crazy kid get bit” Annabelle sighed looking out the window.

Soon they came upon a small town, it looked long deserted, there was a Drug store, a bar, what was once probably a nice little Dinner and a book shop. Annabelle could imagine what life was probably like here before the breakout. Families have picture perfect brunches at the Dinner, couples purchasing books together at the bookshop, the good old boys and old men gathering at the bar. On Sundays the little street was quite busy.

“Hey where are they taking us?” Zach questioned, bringing Annabelle back to reality.

Annabelle leaned to look through the center gap of the car through the front window. The truck pulled into what looked like a school. “That place has to be swarmed with Stinkers” Zach breathed. “No it’s just a preschool, can’t be too bad…they could have cleared it” Becky said all eyes were on the school. “Only if they had more man power, more people means more danger” Annabelle spoke sharply.

“That’s not always true...” Zach said Emit shook his head “I’m with the weird one on this…we need to be careful” he warned.

Emit pulled the car to a stop, and hopped out of the car first, his gun ready, Zach went to get out of the car as well, reaching for his gun. “Are you stupid” Annabelle hissed pushing him back as she got out with her Crossbow and walked around to the passenger’s side. She had hoped she looked tough in her brown leather jacket and trusty bow. But she knew she looked nothing of the sort.

“Why’d you help us?” Emit asked in a firm tone, he took the tone of a leader, and stood stock still. Annabelle side glanced at him and raised her head a bit higher gazing at the three men before them. “Where’d the third guy come from?” she thought. They were a mixed matched group. To the right there was an Asian man who looked bored out of his mind, in his 40’s maybe. And on the right, the man who had been using the flame thrower. Annabelle could now see his face, blonde hair like wheat, beard and goatee, maybe mid 30’s. And in the center a bald man, in his 50s with sharp eyes and a perma-frown.

“Because it’s rare to run into actual breathing people, why the hell else?” The Asian man spoke scoffing as he flicked his cigarette bud on the ground. Annabelle watched him put it out with his shoe, and puff the last bit of smoke out of his mouth. “Colin be nice, the kids just got attacked!” the blonde called.

“You were supporting your friend, is he alright?” the Asian man asked, Annabelle took a step back “He’s fairing ok, for now” Emit growled. Annabelle narrowed her eyes at the three men. “Don’t be so rude” Emit said through a sarcastic smirk “give us the names of our saviors and this new man” Emit said, his voice was smug but anyone could tell he had his eyes peeled.

The elder man in the middle chuckled his voice was very deep and rolled smoothly like thunder as he spoke “you’re headstrong” Emit leered not quite as amused. The elder man looked up and uncrossed his arms taking a few paces forward he held out his hand. “My name is Seymour,” He said looking at Emit expectantly. Emit paused and calculated his next move, slowly he shook Seymour’s hand “this is our camp, Colin and Fry were looking for more supplies when they found you” Seymour said, Emit nodded. And signaled to Becky and Zach. Becky hopped out the front seat and ran around back to help Zach out the car.

“Names Emit, and that’s-“

“I’m Annabelle”

Annabelle said stepping forward, cutting Emit off, her tone was strident as she looked over the men once more. “We won’t harm you, we’re just trying to gather as many survivors as we can, we’ve got food, the preschool has a small generator and a emergency well” Seymour stated “meaning running water” Becky gasped in glee. Seymour looked her over and nodded “yes running water, not hot, but it’s all just as well” he stated. Emit looked back at Becky and Zach “I don’t suppose you have room for a few more? He asked.

Seymour nodded and smiled it was masked as friendly but through eyes that knew better, that smile was treacherous.