Status: just started

Wrecking Ball.

Chapter One

"Go find another lover to bring to string along
With all your lies, you're still very lovable.
I toured a light, so many foreign roads
For Emma, forever ago."

My life was far from a dream. Everything was almost a mirage. If people really walked up to me, my image would be nothing but a fake vision imprinted on their minds. On the outside I was the perfect image of what a successful young adult should be. At 23, I had already accomplished so much. I had a marketing career at an up and coming business in Canada. Two college degrees under my belt, and a bank account most people my age would drool over. I had amazing friends, and took two trips every year with them. I had the perfect life for someone my age.

But deep down, I was an idiot.

Love is such a small word, but, hell, did it ever have a punch to it. Love can be interpreted into so many beautiful languages and the darkest of curses. Love can turn someone in a Disney princess prancing in the fields with talking animals. Love can make people do crazy, amazing things. Love can give you the best kind of drunk, and the highest high. Love does have its downfalls, though. Love can turn a picture perfect person to a pathetic soul crawling over broken glass. Love can leave you helpless and lifeless. Love can lead you to someone who feeds you poison, leaving you haunted and hungover.

I was the latter.

It was a night like any other. I had worked over time and was in need of a drink. The taste of Merlot was already forming a taste on the tip of my tongue and dragging its essence onto my lips. The light from my MacBook was piercing my eyes. Two more emails and I was free. If there was one thing I needed to work on, it was, well, work. I’m so notorious for leaving things to last minute. It’s no wonder I drink so much wine and end up with dark circles under my eyes.

I finally hit send on the last email and a sigh of relief fell past my lips. Another day was over, even though the thought of more emails coming my way caused me to groan with frustration. It can wait for another time. It was the weekend after all.

I slid my computer into my bag, along with my phone, wallet and car keys. That glass of wine tasted sweeter by the moment in my mind. The office was dead silent and almost pitch dark; I didn’t even realize it was almost 10pm. I guess I’m drinking solo tonight.

It was only October, but Ottawa was getting frosty. The brisk wind hit my face as I wrapped my leopard scarf around my neck. The bar I was going to was a mere walk from my office so I never bothered taking my car over. Besides, who knew how drunk I planned on getting. The wind picked up a bit and I clasped my arms tighter to my chest as I walked faster.

A wash of warmth flooded my body as I walked into the bar. It was bit more posh than most bars around here, but that’s why I liked it. It had warm red walls, dark tables and chairs, all the servers and bartenders wore white dress shirts and black bowties, and the music was nothing but indie. I slid off my coat and plopped myself down into a chair. Shit, I was exhausted.

“Emma, you’re late tonight.”

I looked up at saw my normal server, Serena standing at my table. I laughed as I sat up straight in my seat.

“My procrastination got the worst of me today.”

“The usual?”

“Yeah, make it a half liter this time.”

She raised her eyebrows a bit, “Rough day, huh?”

“You don’t know the half of it.”

She left my table and I pulled out my phone, cursing to myself. I left the office no more than twenty minutes ago, and I already had 10 unread emails. There were also some missed text messages from friends, and a missed call from my Dad. I wasn’t really in the mood to talk to anyone, so I simply turned off my phone and shoved it back in my bag.

Serena brought me my wine and poured a bit into glass. She hardly left the table before I was already sipping on it. Someone about the sweet taste of wine just cured my work blues. I hardly get time to myself anymore, so this is the only time I can spoil myself for all my hard work. It’s kind of pathetic when you really think about it.

I turned my attention to the TV above me. Of course, TSN was playing hockey highlights. I was a huge sports fan, but work caused me to miss out on most events. Even though I lived in Ottawa, I was a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, which caused many people to curse at me around here. But I didn’t care. It was blue and white or death for me. Tonight, they were taking on the Senators, but they lost 3-1.

“Fuck, are they ever gonna beat these bastards?” I chirped a bit louder than normal.

“Sorry to disappoint you.”

What the fuck?
Who said that to me?

I looked over to see a boy; he couldn’t have been more than my age. He started to walk towards my table with this cocky grin on his face. He looked a bit familiar to me, but I couldn’t my finger on it. He had light brown hair, dark eyes, a weird accident, and was dressed in a collared shirt and denim jeans. He was pretty hot; I’ll give him that.

Or maybe it was the wine talking.

Yep, it was the wine.

“Do I know you?” I asked.

“Not really,” He replied sitting down across from me, putting his beer down, “but I’m part of that so called, bastard team.”

“Oh” I stammered a bit embarrassed. I wasn’t expecting someone from the team to actually hear my comment. But in all reality, I loathed his hockey team.

“So, who are you then?” I asked.

“My name is Erik.” He said giving me his hand to shake.

“Ah, Karlsson.” I said as I shook his hand. His eyes met mine and my face flushed a bit. I blame the wine, but I could be wrong this time. “My name is Emma.”

“Well, it’s nice to meet you, Emma. What are you doing here alone?”

“I just finished work a little later than usual. I was in need of a drink.”

He nodded as he took a sip of his beer before returning his gaze to me, “What do you do for work?”

“Why are you asking me so many questions?”

“Just answer the question.”

“Why should I?” I snapped crossing my arms. Who does this kid think he is?

“Because, you already know a lot about me.”

“I know shit about you.”

This time, he licked his lips, as if he was satisfied with what he heard me say. I was getting annoyed. I just wanted an hour to myself, with no phone, no emails, nothing. I wanted to drink enough to get drunk, so I could pass out the second I got home. Now I got Mr. Twenty Questions integrating me.

He finished the rest of his beer and I poured the rest of my half-liter into my glass, bringing it up to my lips. Erik stood up and took his glass with him. I took it as a hint he was leaving me alone. Good. I can back to my quiet night.

“You look like you could use another drink.”

“I’m fine.”

“No you’re not,” he laughed, “no woman should be this much of a bitch after a glass of wine.”

I rolled my eyes as he walked over to the bar. I felt my eyes following him, looking at his hair tucked under his baseball cap, to his black dress shirt, down to his true religion jeans hugging his body. Dammit, he had a cute butt…

11 O’clock turned into midnight, wine turned in whiskey, beer turned into scotch, agitation turned into constant laughter. I was getting drunk with a hockey player I hardly knew. To be honest, I didn’t want it to stop. For once I forgot about my stress of my job and enjoyed this moment.

“Oh shit, it’s almost 1am. I need to go home.” I slurred looking down at my Michael Kors watch.

“No, no, don’t leave yet.” He muttered leaning towards me. I couldn’t help but laugh, he looked like a lost puppy.

“Erik, I need to go home.”

“You can sleep on my couch,” He drunkenly pleaded to me, “I’ll make you pancakes in the morning.”

“You’re insane.”

“Am not.”

“Erik. It was nice meeting you, but I need to go home. So do you.”

He tried to lean his head in his hand that was propped up on the table but was failing miserably, “I’m fine.”

“You’re drunk as shit right now.”

“So are you.”

I shrugged, “I know. That’s why I’m going home. Goodbye Erik.”

I paid my tab and stumbled outside. There was no way in hell I was driving in this state. I fished for my phone in my purse, but it was dead. Fuck, just my luck.

“Hey, Emma.”

Shit.

“Yes, Erik?”

“I live like 5 minutes from here, you can stay with me and I’ll drive you to your car tomorrow morning.”

I figured this kid wasn’t gonna leave me be until I said yes. I agreed, but as long as I got the couch. He told me I was being a total cockblock but proceeded to show me the way to his apartment.

When we got to his place, he opened up another bottle of scotch. I had to admit my buzz was wearing off, so I don’t think another drink would kill me.

I was wrong.

“So, is this your normal routine?”

“Excuse me?” He said as he took another sip of his scotch.

“Get a girl drunk, and bring her here? I’m sure all of you are the same.”

“Do you care?”

I hiccupped on the count of the ginger ale that was in my drink, “Not really.”

“Good.” He smirked before bringing his drink up his lips again. “Sorry, I’ve just been going through a lot of shit. I saw you and you looked like you could’ve used a laugh and you’re really pretty… fuck I’m too drunk to be serious about this right now.”

I chuckled, “It’s fine. If you don’t mind, I’d like to sleep now.”

“Ok, goodnight Emma.”

He brought me blankets and a pillow and I got myself comfy. I wasn’t the slightest bit tired anymore. My eyes wondered over to the illuminating light that came from his bedroom. To be honest, I wasn’t even comfy either. I wanted my bed at home, but I guess this will have to do.

I tossed and turned for what seemed like ages, but it was only an hour. I cursed under my breath. His light was still beaming in the hall. I slid off the couch and walked towards his room. I totally forgot I was only in my underwear and a tank top until I grew Goosebumps on my legs. My head was spinning too much to care at this point.

I cleared my throat and leaned against the doorframe. His eyes caught mine and a small smirk appeared on his lips. He was lying down in bed on his phone before he noticed me. He put his phone down and sat up in his bed, motioning for me to come over.

“Can’t sleep?”

“The couch sucks.” I muttered sitting beside him on the bed.

“Ok, you can sleep here. No funny business, I promise.”

His voice was changing, as if his drunken power was vanishing from him. I slid into the bed, turning my back to him. Sleep was slowly creeping up on me, and my eyes finally grew heavy. Suddenly, things turned into something I never imagined. His fingers ran up and down my spine, causing me to shiver completely.

“Erik …” I whispered as my voice broke.

My eyes remained shut as he lowered himself onto the bed and his hand wrapped around my stomach. At this point I couldn’t even breathe. He brushed his lips on the back of my neck and he trailed kisses onto my shoulders, tightening the grip he had around my stomach. I tried to open my mouth to tell him to stop, but he ignored my silent plea. What was he doing?

“What are you do – oh my god.” I gasped as he gently bit my shoulder. My mind was begging me to turn around and kiss him with everything I had, but my body was completely comatose cause of him.

Finally I rolled over so I was on my back, looking up at him. His dark eyes smoldered me as the moonlight shined into the room. He ran his fingers through my hair before pressing his thumb onto my cheek. Inside, I was screaming for him to kiss me. He lowered his head and his hair fell passed his eyes, tickling my forehead. Our lips met for a mere moment, but it was pure bliss. He pulled away from me so nonchalantly, as if it wasn’t the first time we kissed. I remained puzzled as I tried to catch my breath.

“Erik … I … what do you want with me?”

“Nothing.” He smiled as he stared at my face, “goodnight, Emma.”

I didn’t know what he was getting at. At this point I was passed tired and practically gave myself an orgasm him kissing him. I turned over and slowly fell asleep knowing tomorrow was going to be an interesting day.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I haven't wrote in a story in over 3 years. I'm giving it another shot considering I just completed two years of English in college. So feedback is nice :-)