Status: just started

Wrecking Ball.

Chapter Two

Would you face me?
Make me listen to the truth?
Even if it breaks me?
You can judge me.
You can love me.
If you’re hating me,
do it honestly.

The next morning I woke up with mixed emotions. First off, I freaked out cause I didn’t wake up in my bed. Second, Where the hell was I?

Oh right.

Shit.

I rolled over to find his side of the bed cold. His apartment was dead silent. Did he leave? Did he not want to face me? I wasn’t even sure. I plopped my head back onto the pillow, trying to push away my hangover as I closed my eyes.

Slowly but surely the moments of last night were getting pieced together. I rested my hands on my stomach to stop the butterflies I felt, remembering how his hand held me close to him. My hand rode up to my lips, they were still shaking after our kiss. My hair still smelt like his cologne as I ran my fingers through it. Last night felt like something out of a dream. But it was real. For once it was real.

My headache was getting the worst of me, so I slipped out of bed to get something or it. I walked into the living room to see he really wasn’t here. Frowning, I was a bit disappointed. He left me a glass of water, two Advil and a note.

“Sorry I couldn’t be here when you woke up. I had practice. Leave me your number, and I’ll phone you. – Erik ☺”

I smirked; he had a way about him. My clothes were lying on the couch where I left them, so I put them back on. Ugh, they reeked of wine and scotch. First I needed was a damn shower when I get home. I didn’t want to over welcome my stay at his apartment, so I chugged back the water, left him my number and walked outside to fetch my car.
The day seemed to go by so slow. It probably didn’t help that I kept staring at my phone every second to see if Erik was going to call. I needed to snap out of my stupid crush I had on him. Yes we had a nice night together, but we were also drunk I brushed my negative thoughts away and curled into bed. My Bengal cat Abby was purring at my feet in her deep slumber, which brought a smile to my face. I was praying my headache would go away soon. I just needed to sleep for a few more hours and I’d be good as new …

When I finally opened my eyes, it was dark outside. How long was I out for? I wiped the awkward drool from the side of my face as the light from my phone illuminated the room. It was 7:30, and I had three missed calls from unknown number.

Erik.

It was an Ottawa number by the looks of it. At least I think it could be him? Maybe it’s not? I almost didn’t want to call it back incase it was work. Going into work on the weekend was shit I did not tolerate.

“Emma, stop being a little bitch and call the number back.” I whispered to myself as Abby woke from her sleep to stare at me.

My hands were shaking as I finally called the number back. It rang a few times as I silently prayed it went to voicemail. Please don’t answer, please don’t …

“Hello?”

Dammit.

“Hey Erik, it’s Emma, sorry I missed your calls.”

“No problem. What’s up?”

“Nothing,” I replied as I yawned, noticing some more drool on my neck. Real nice, Emma. Real attractive.

“Are you hungry?”

I laughed, the way he said it with his stupid Swedish accent was adorable, “Yeah, a little bit.”

“Get dressed, I’ll come pick you up.”

“I’d rather just stay in bed and watch Netflix.”

“You can do that afterwards. Where do you live?”

He wasn’t giving in easily. I liked that about him. After a few more flirtatious exchanges, I gave him my address. I groaned as I looked down at Abby.

“You are so lucky do you don’t have to deal with men.”

She meowed as if she understood what I just said. I leaned over and kissed her head before I sprung out of bed to get dressed. I threw on a pair of black leggings, an oversized sweater with some tan leather boots. My face looked like a train wreck so I fixed it with bronzer and fixed my green eyes mascara. I quickly ran my brush through my long black hair before putting it in a side braid.

“You look like shit, Emma.” I muttered as I looked into the mirror, giving myself some sarcastic thumbs up before shutting the bathroom light off.

Moments later Erik texted me to tell me he was downstairs. Those stupid butterflies filled me as I walked down the hall into the elevator. In a few short minutes I’d see him again. It was starting to scare me how nervous I was getting.

As the elevator door opened and I walked into the lobby, my heart stopped. Erik was leaning against the wall wearing jeans, a blue v-neck shirt, black leather jacket and the same blue jays hat from last night. It was almost unfair how perfect he looked right now. His eyes caught mine and he smiled before walking up to me.

“You look comfy.” He said as his eyes wondered up and down my body.

“I’m still hung over thanks to you.”

“Hey, you were the one polishing off my scotch. Which, by the way, you owe me $65”

“Fuck you Karlsson.”

He just laughed as we walked out to his car. I rolled my eyes. Of course he had an all black Maserati with perfectly chromed rims. He was such a show off. He slid into the car and turned it on. God, did his car ever purr.

“That engine is enough to make a girl pregnant.” I commented as admired at the futuristic panel of his car.

He snickered as he pulled out onto the street “Good thing I didn’t bring the Prius then, eh?”

“Probably would’ve made my vagina turn itself inside out.”

He pulled up to a red light and looked over at me in complete disgust but trying to cover up his laugh, “You’re sick.”
“That’s what you get for being raised by your dad and 3 brothers.”

“That explains the scotch intake.”

“Not my fault you like the cheap stuff.”

He just shook his head as he kept driving. We both agreed on sushi for dinner. My stomach was starting to eat itself from my hunger. The streets of Ottawa flew by us in streaks of vibrant lights. I was in a half-million dollar car with a beautiful man I hardly new, as the sounds of Band of Horses filled the speakers. This situation felt fucked up when I really thought about it, but I didn’t care…

“Can I ask you something?”

Erik looked up from his sushi as he finished chewing, “Sure?”

“Last night, you said that you were going through a lot. Care to elaborate on that?”

“Oh, uhm …” He looked like he didn’t want to get into it.

“Sorry, it’s not my place to ask.” I chimed in out of nerves, bringing my glass of water to my lips. I looked over at him, and he looked down at his food, blushing.

“What?”

“It’s nothing.”

“No, what is it?”

Erik just crossed his arms and rested them on the table, revealing to me his half-sleeve tattoo on his arm. The way he looked at me sometimes bothered the hell out of me. So I just stared to back to see who would win this time.

“I’m just having a hard time figuring you out.”

I snorted a bit, “Well, that makes two of us. Now speak. What the hell is going on with you?”

“Personal shit. How in the hell does a girl your age live in a $1800 a month apartment?”

“I have a nice bank account. Now spit it out Karlsson, what is going on with you?”

His cheeks were growing red; I could tell I was getting under his skin. It didn’t take much to get him riled up by the looks of it. “You really wanna know, don’t you?”

“I’m not fucking around, tell me.”

“I just got divorced.”

It was like time itself stopped. I didn’t want to believe what I was hearing. Sounds just melted from me, my heart went to my throat, and tears were stinging my eyes. Fuck. Erik … was… married?

“What?”

“I didn’t want to say anything, cause I knew it would freak you out.”

“Huh, you fucking think so?”

“Emma, I’m sorry. Just hear me out.”

“Erik, this is weird … I have to go.”

“Emma … don’t.”

It was too late. I was gone.