My Funny Valentine

stay, little valentine, stay...

My funny valentine,

"You've got to be kidding me," she mumbled under her breath and grabbed her keys off of the kitchen counter. Feeling her blood boil as her cheeks began to turn scarlet, the brunette turned on her boot clad heel and stomped towards the door.

"Skylar, wait," James called out, his footsteps echo bouncing off the walls. "Please." She turned around, eyes beginning to water.

"You promised," her voice rose. "Seven years, James. It's been seven years since we spent Valentine's Day together," Skylar reminded him as if had slipped his mind. And he probably did forget. How could he remember such an unimportant detail of his ever so busy life? He exhaled deeply.

"I'm sorry, I said I'll try," he began, "I'm just in the middle of-" she stopped him there.

"Yeah, I know," Skylar interrupted. "You have to be on set. Or maybe you have a new class to teach. Oh, or maybe you're writing yet another film. I've heard them all. I'm not interested in hearing it again."

With a final look at the defeated expression that blanketed his face, she turned and walked out of James' apartment.

It was so difficult. Skylar worked a 9-5 mediocre desk job at a law firm in the city. She had a set schedule that was the same every single day for years now. But James, on the other hand, was never not doing something new. He couldn't just sit around and do nothing. And if he was, his nose was deep in a book. Skylar couldn't remember the last time they had a night out or even left his apartment. That's why she was looking forward to tomorrow. It was finally their day that he had been promising for the past month.

Part of her saw it coming though. The same thing happened year after year. He would speak of the plans he had for the two then call to explain that something came up. It's all been done and said a million times over. There was even a few years where Skylar questioned his loyalty. It crossed her mind that maybe he took someone else out for Valentine's Day. She shook that from her head quickly though. That wasn't James. The man she knew would never be unfaithful.

James and Skylar met in high school. It seemed like it had been a century since the introvert sat next to her in AP English class. Skylar wished they could have stayed eighteen forever. Things were so much simpler then.

The two didn't realize they were in love until well into their twenties. He was just James and she was just Skylar; some old friends from high school. They met again at the supermarket back in California when he was visiting his family. After losing contact for many years, there was so much to talk about. It didn't take long for Skylar to fall in love with his intelligence and charm. He was a different person than the boy she knew in high school. On a whim, Skylar moved across the country to be with him. The rest was history.

The woman wasn't sure where exactly she was going as she made her way through the frigid cold New York City air. The snow crunched under her boots with every step. There was no where for her to go considering she moved out of her apartment years ago to move in with James. So she just walked the sidewalks.

sweet comic valentine,

Skylar sat in a small coffee shop that her and James frequented. He enjoyed it because no one bothered him for autographs and pictures. It made him feel like a normal person. She wasn't used to sitting alone at the small table though. Biting down on the delicate skin of her lips, she replayed last night's events from third person, as if it were a movie in her head.

It was just passing seven in the morning. She'd been there all night just to stay out of the cold. The phone buzzed in her pocket. Setting the mug of hot chocolate down, she pulled out the Blackberry.

I love you, the text from James read. The corner of her lips twitched and she almost cracked a smile. Almost.

I love you too, Her fingers typed out the reply without hesitation. Skylar knew the text would come at some point. It always did. That's how he sucked her back in every time. The phone vibrated again not a minute after her fingers hit the send key.

I'll be out of the apartment by eight if you wanted to come back. She sighed deeply. That meant they would definitely not be together for Valentine's Day again.

You make me smile with my heart.

She pushed open the apartment door and listened carefully for any movement. When she was certain the apartment was empty, she entered, closing the door behind her before kicking off the wet, snow covered boots. Skylar pulled off her coat, carelessly letting it fall to the floor. Rubbing her hands together for warmth, she was so happy to be out of the cold. Her jaw dropped at the sight in front of her eyes as she rounded the corner.

The kitchen table was covered by vases of dozens of roses. She lost count at 16. There were candles on the counters and chairs, and a walkway illuminated by even more candles that led to the table. Skylar took a deep breath in, basking in the scent of fresh roses.

In the middle of the table, between two vases, was a white envelope that sat on top of a box of her favorite chocolates. She eagerly tore it open, revealing a simple note.

Skylar,
Be ready at 7:30 this evening. Your dress is on our bed. I love you.
-James


A picture fell out of the envelope from behind the letter. Slim fingers carefully held the photo as tears filled the young woman's eyes. The memories were still so fresh. It was taken on their first Valentine's Day together.

The date was a disaster, yet it couldn't have been more perfect. James meant to take her to a beautiful restaurant but the car had broken down on the way. By the time the couple got there, they had missed the reservation. So James decided they would try a different restaurant a few minutes away. There were so many people that the two found themselves waiting over an hour for food. In true James fashion, he abruptly stood from the table, took Skylar by the hand and left the restaurant.

The picture showed the lovers as they sat on the floor of the living room, with McDonald's food sitting in their laps. They realized it didn't matter what they were doing or how fancy the meal was. As long as they had each other's company, that's all that was needed. It was that night Skylar knew she was in love with him. She wanted to spend the rest of her life with James Franco.

Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
Yet you're my favorite work of art.


Skylar hung the picture on the refrigerator with a magnet then made her way to the bedroom. It was still early so she opted out of peaking at the dress James had picked. Though, beside the white dress bag was a pink robe. The note that sat atop it read 'Your bath awaits.

Rose petals and more candles surrounded the bath. James had his iPod docked to his iHome, already playing soft music. She stripped her clothes off, kicking them out of the way. Filling up the tub, she found herself smiling and thought of giving him a call. But she decided against it as she slid into the almost too hot water. Laying her head back, she felt more relaxed than ever.

James made sure the entire day was perfect. Early in the afternoon, lunch was delivered to the apartment by Skylar's favorite pizza shop in town. Around three, a woman arrived at the door, informing her James ordered a full body massage for her. Skylar was in awe at all of the effort he had gone through. Yet she couldn't help but to wonder if it was only because of the argument last night. But she chose to push those thoughts from her mind and just enjoy her day of being treated like a queen.

At 7:30 sharp there was a knock at the door. Skylar looked in the mirror for a moment. She barely recognized the girl who stared back at her. It'd been so long since she had the opportunity to look this nice. The red dress clung to her figure perfectly, tight all the way to the hem, which hugged her thighs. The back was cut out, the swoop so low that she was almost worried if she bent over, you would get a view of her ass. Right above her shoulder blades, the sleeves of the dress came together to make a large bow. Her hair was curled into an updo with a few spiraled strands falling onto her collarbones. Skylar frowned though as she noticed she forgot to pick out shoes. There was another knock at the door, and she finally went to answer it.

"Miles," she greeted James' longtime friend with shock written all over her face. He smiled warmly at her.

"Hey Sky," he held up a hair of simple black peeptoe heels. "Looking for these?" He asked with a smirk. She sighed with relief.

"Oh, you sir, are a life saver!" Skylar exclaimed as she slipped the heels over the black nylons that covered her feet and legs.

"I'm also here to drive you to your destination," Miles told her, "I'm not sure what you'd do without me." The man let out his booming laugh.

Miles held up her black knee-length tench coat and draped it over Skylar's shoulders.

"Do I really have to sit in the back?" Skylar whined as he opened the door for her. He chuckled.

"I'm just doing as I'm told, dear." He shut the door and then slipped into the driver's seat.

"And how exactly did James put you up to this?" Skylar questioned as the car began to move. Her eyes connected with Miles' own for a second in the rear view mirror.

"I owe him a favor," he explained vaguely. Skylar didn't bother to ask for details.

She watched as the city lights passed with a blur. Excitement bubbled in her stomach as her teeth anxiously bit down on her bottom lip. It was obvious that James went through a great deal of effort to make this entire day special. She knew that dinner would be no different. When James did something, he did it big.

Stay little valentine, stay.

The car pulled up to the same restaurant the couple attempted to dine at on their first Valentine's Day together. Miles opened the car door for Skylar.

"Weird, the place looks like a ghost town..." Skylar trailed off. Miles gave her a slide glance as they walked to the entrance.

"It does. Curious." She gave the man an odd look but stayed silent. All that could be heard over the city traffic was the rhythmic tapping of their heels on the cement.

Miles opened the large glass door for the young woman. After thanking him, Miles bid Skylar a good night and urged her forward.

Just as she suspected, the restaurant was empty and very dim lit. She did, however, spot a brighter light towards the back of the building.

James was standing when she neared the table. His smile illuminated the room brighter than any light could. He wore a black suit with a red bow tie around his neck.

"You look..." James paused for a moment. "Amazing." He breathed out. Blood rose to Skylar's cheeks as she gazed into his hungry eyes.

"You're looking quite handsome yourself, mister," she complimented him before he placed a delicate kiss to her lips. Skylar felt all of the anger and doubt in him she had slip away.

Dinner was beautiful. James explained that he had reserved the entire restaurant months ago to ensure that they would get a table. As always, there was never a lull in conversation.

James took Skylar's hand, leading her up a scarlet carpeted staircase. He brought her through a door that led to the roof of the building. Stringed lights were hung and there was a small table with a candle on it. Skylar smiled lovingly at James.

Her heart had never felt so swollen with love and affection. She always knew James was a romantic. This was his way of making the last handful of Valentine's Days up to her. And it sure was working.

As James filled up two glasses of wine, Skylar leaned her elbows on the edge of the building. She allowed herself to take in the beauty of the blinding New York City lights. It was honestly breath taking.

The man set the two wine glasses on the cement edge then wrapped his arms around her waist, pressing his warm body to her back. She felt like she did on their very first date.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Skylar asked though her eyes were now closed.

"Mhmmm," James murmured, pushing his nose into the nape of her neck. She had worn his favorite perfume. "You have no idea." His words were muffled into her skin, but she knew what was said.

Skylar took a sip of her wine as James broke his embrace. He also took a much longer drink from his own glass while Skylar eyed up the chocolate covered cherries and strawberries that were on the white table clothed table. James chuckled at her.

"Do you want some?" He asked her, offering his hand out. She gratefully took his hand and he led her to the table.

"Quite an extravagant evening you've planned there, Mr. Franco," she commented in between bites of her favorite dessert. He smiled sweetly across the table.

"Only the best for you," he got out before finishing his glass of wine. This went unnoticed by Skylar. She was too busy admiring her surroundings. No one had ever treated her to something this lovely. She felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

James' phone made a noise. It was a sound that Skylar never heard come from his iPhone. James glanced around nervously for a moment before standing from the table. He once again reached for Skylar's delicate hand and led her to a spot under the string lights that were in the shape of paper lanterns. Skylar didn't notice at first that they were standing in the middle of a rose petal heart.

"Sky, we've been through so much together," James started. The woman knew him too well. She heard the switch from his normal talking voice to his acting voice. "I don't know what I would do without you. We've had our ups and downs but we always get past them. There's no one in this world that I would rather spend my days with. I want to make you mine forever," he paused to lower onto one knee, his heart racing fast. He was sure it was about to jump right out of his throat. He pulled out a black leather box. "Skylar, will you give me the honor of being your husband?"

By now, Skylar's make up was nearly ruined as tears flowed freely from her eyes. Her smile shined brighter than the city lights. She nodded through her tears.

"Of course," she managed to get out. James slipped the sparkling ring onto her finger before standing and sweeping her into his arms.

James' crashed his lips onto Skylar's and their tongues battled for dominance in sweet bliss. She felt as if as was floating and his embrace was the only thing that was keeping her from disappearing into the stars. Somewhere in the distance, fireworks could be heard, echoing across the sky. Skylar thought for a moment that maybe the explosions were in her head. But she was sure they were real.

James pulled away for a look into his now fiancée's lustful eyes. "Only the best for you, Mrs. Franco." Then he pulled her into his chest and they swayed to imaginary music.

But don't you change one hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine, stay
Each day is Valentine's Day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope everyone enjoys! I would love some feedback if you are reading :) it's very helpful!! Also, I need new friends so go add me and we can chat :) I also have a Dave Franco story and a Jack Wilder series for anyone who may be interested.

Thanks for reading and Happy Valentine's day!