Tonight We'll Sail...

1 of 1

All you could hear was the light rumble of the engine and the rattling of the keys until she turned on the radio. She turned the dial and stopped when she found station number 103.1. I didn't recognise the station but the slogan ‘warning: punk music may cause creativity and individuality, so defend pop punk’ was familiar. I immediately recognized the phrase.

I had heard it many times while being with her, reading fashion magazines and laughing at all the celebrities, watching comedy movies, eating fries – her favourite food, - lying next to each other, cuddling, throwing stuffed toys at each other. It was faintly pressed into nearly all my memories with her over the past year. She always listened to this radio station, quietly her favourite songs would play and I would listen, being careful to pick out certain lyrics that she loved or chords she always remembered.

'Smells like teen spirit' by Nirvana came on and she turned up the volume so it drowned out the rumbling engine of my car. She started to bang hear head in time with the drums and sway while singing every line of the song.
I watched her, closely, and saw the passion and love in her eyes.

I made a right turn and then drove slowly up the steep hill. It was getting darker and the sun was only just shining over the horizon.

She was still swaying to the music and ignoring the outside world when I parked the car at the top of the hill.
I turned off the radio and she instantly turned her head to me, glaring.

'We're here'

She laughed as I turned the radio back on to a low volume. I nodded to outside of the car and we both hopped out.

As I closed my door I looked out to the world below us, big buildings illuminating the city with bright lights, the faint sound of car horns, the ocean. I sat on the bonnet of my car and watched as she followed. She was beautiful in every way.

I laid down onto my back and pointed towards the stars in the sky. She laid down and stared in awe. I looked at her, curly caramel hair, always pink cheeks, light freckles on her nose, and eyes like the ocean - deep blue and full of secrets- she was amazing.

She noticed my staring and looked at me, smiling. Her smile gave me another reason to stare.

I grabbed a strand of caramel curl from her face and twirled it around my index finger as she lay her head on my chest.
'I love the sound of you heartbeat' she said.
I smiled. The moment was perfect.
'Never leave' I whispered.
She didn't reply, she just smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
First shot at a drabble, a shot in the dark.