Status: New and upcoming!

Treacherous

you're quicksand

“Katherine!”

My dad barged into my office, arms open, followed by my mother, speaking to someone on the phone.

“Hi Dad” I stood up and greeted him with a hug, “How is work?” he asked.

I shrugged, “Things look good. Sales are up this week, and clients are happy. What more can you ask for?”

He laughed. He was still the owner, but I might has well be the CEO at this point. My dad was waiting until the end of March to make an official announcement. “Well darling, everything looks great. You look great. What are your plans tonight? Come for dinner?”

I wasn’t sure if I should tell him. My mother would just go on a tangent and he would start to ask questions. I suppose it didn’t matter, “I have dinner plans tonight”

“Really?” he seemed intrigued, “With whom, may I ask?”

I sighed, “A friend” was all I said, “Does it matter?” I turned around and sat back down at my desk, “And if I don’t get this done, I’ll never make it”

He put his hands up, “Say no more. I’ll leave you be. Just know…” he leaned over the desk, “I’m so proud of you Katherine. You’ve done so well”

I smiled genuinely, knowing my dad meant what he said. He had always been proud of me for choosing this life, since he had no son to take over. I was the only one they had, and then my mom found out she was no longer able to have any more children, because my labor had been so strenuous on her body.

“Thanks Dad.”

He leaned over and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before turning around and guiding my mother out the door, still chatting with the same person on the phone as before. I sighed, and stared back at my computer, Excel open and ready to go. I looked at the clock and saw 1pm. I knew if I took a couple more hours, I would be home in time to get ready and be ready to be picked up.

I looked down at my phone and saw a text from Kris. I smiled immediately, like it was a reflex. I wasn’t sure what it was about him that made me smile so much in less than a week.

Hey there. Wanted to know where I’ll picking you up m’lady

I gave him the address and turned back to my work, my fingers moving ferociously over the keyboard trying to make sure I could get all the work done that I possibly could.

“Katherine, you have a call on Line 1” my secretary, Lisa, said through the intercom.

“Who is it?”

“Mr. Lionel Brown”

I sighed, knowing this was one of my dad’s biggest clients, and to disappoint him meant losing a lot of potential money. I took a deep breath, nervously and clicked on Line 1.

“Lionel, how are you?” I said casually.

“Katherine, you sound well. How are things?”

“Great. What can I help you with today?” I continued typing, somewhat slowly, while he spoke.

“I wanted to set up a meeting. This evening”

My heart stopped, “Tonight? I don’t know if that’s possible for me”

“Well I need to speak with you about multiple things and I go out of town for a few weeks tomorrow with the family. It can’t wait”

I looked at the time in the corner of my screen, “What time?”

“Well, what time is it now?” he paused as if looking, “How about 5?”

Kris was picking me up at 7, I had time. If I left now, cleaned up, got myself ready for the meeting and for Kris, I might be able to text him to meet me.

“That works. Where can I meet you?”

“Come downtown to my office. I’ll see you then” the line cut off and I hung up, jumping off my chair and leaving every piece of paper and folder lying on the desk. I grabbed my purse and ran out the door, “Lisa, take any messages for me after now. I have a meeting with Mr. Brown and then a dinner I can’t be late for”

“Good luck!” she yelled as the elevator doors closed behind me. I reached for my phone, very low on battery, and texted Kris.

A meeting came up, I will have to meet you. Reservations are at 7:30 right? I’ll see you there at 7:30, okay?

There was no response but there was a phone call just as I climbed into my car, “Kris, I really can’t talk right now”

“Everything okay?”

I sighed, “This a huge client and I can’t disappoint him or be late. I need to get home, change and head back downtown to meet him and then you”

“Don’t rush yourself” he said, “I’ll wait”

“I’ll be there at 7:30 Kris, I promise. He won’t take too long”

He sighed, “I’ll see you there at 7:30”

I hung up the phone, a little more rudely than I had liked but I shook it off quickly as I pulled out of the parking lot and onto the road, trying hard not to get a speeding ticket.

I arrived at home and as I barged through the door, Sugar ran and hid underneath the couch. I went to the bedroom to find something both date and meeting appropriate.

I found a simple navy blue dress, grey tights with a grey cardigan and black heels. Once the meeting was over I would take the cardigan off to meet Kris. I hoped it would work because before I could think anymore, I touched up my makeup and was out the door to meet Lionel back downtown.

As I stepped into his office, the secretary led me to one of the meeting rooms where I met Lionel and a few other men he must work with, or who work for him.

“Katherine! So lovely to see you, have a seat” he motioned for me to sit down across from him and I did.

“So you must know why I called this meeting on such short notice”

I shook my head, “You’re mistaken, I have no idea why I was called here”

“Well your father must have told you something”

I shook my head, “He never said a word about you when I spoke with him this afternoon”

“Well, you’re in for a surprise then.” He was a small man, short, average weight, but very vibrant.

He had a receding hairline, and slightly gray hair, indicating he was older than you would think. He continued, “Your father and I have been speaking these past few weeks and I’m finally able to pitch the idea to you”

I raised an eyebrow, “Okay”

“Well, you know my son, Charles” he motioned next to him, where there was a young, good looking and tall man. He looked to be about my age, 26, maybe give or take a year or two. Short dark hair, piercing blue eyes and a smile that could kill. He was your typical looking businessman.

“I do now” that response received a few chuckles and then Lionel continued, “Well he will be taking over my company once I finish up my reign here. Your father and I were deciding on you and Charles working closely together”

I had no objection at this point, “Okay. For what purpose, may I ask?”

“Well, I shouldn’t be the one telling you, but your father would like to merge the two companies, he would like to join the two names. O’Connell and Brown, it has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?”

At this point I was in shock, and I couldn’t bring myself to respond to his answer. Merge the companies? Why? For what?

“Why?”

“Why what?”

“What is the purpose of this massive move?”

“Money, of course”

Why did I even ask? It seemed to make the world go ‘round.

“Oh…”

“Darling, don’t even fret over it right now. We’re still in some early stages that I wanted to run by you to look over while I’m gone for the next few weeks with the wife and daughter, while Charles keeps an eye on things around here. You two should go out for lunch, get to know each other. You’ll be working in close quarters this time next month!” he handed the folders down the line to get to me and before even looking, I shoved them into my bag. I looked at the clock on the wall and it was beginning to get late.

“If you don’t mind, I do have to get going. I have plans”

He nodded, “Of course dear, I also have a plane to catch.” He stood up, which showed how short he really was, “You’ll talk to your father soon I hope. He had to sell me on the idea at first, but now I’m about as excited about it as he is!” I nodded and left the room, catching the elevator by myself.

As the doors closed I laid my head back on the wall, feeling my stomach sink with nervousness about what just happened and the fact that the elevator was descending. As I stepped out, I grabbed my phone, calling my father, but of course it went straight to voicemail.

“Dad, as soon as you get this I want you to call me back. You have an enormous amount of explaining to do. I’m not a happy camper. You better have a good reason for not telling me. Bye” I threw my phone into my purse furiously and then looked at the time, I still had an hour, which was surprising. I decided to go to the restaurant I was supposed to meet Kris at and wait at the bar. I could really use a drink.

I took off the cardigan in my car, wrapped my scarf back around me, let my hair down and slipped on my coat. I walked a few blocks before recognizing the Italian restaurant. I stepped in and immediately the smell pulled me in. I loved anything Italian.

The host waved me towards the bar and I sat down with a glass of wine and waited while my coat hung on the other barstool. I had already downed two glasses when I spotted Kris come in and waved at him. He was accompanied by the host who took me, my third glass and Kris to our table. It was a small corner booth, private, which was good considering the wine was having it’s fun with me.

“How are you?”

I sighed, “You don’t want to know”

“How was the meeting?”

I sighed again, louder this time, “My dad is trying to screw me over I guess. He made this huge move without telling me. I mean, I know it’s his company, but he wants to leave to me and then he makes this huge plan to merge the companies to make one huge company for the sole purpose of making who knows how much more money. He already has money to burn, he doesn’t need any more, I don’t understand”

“Well, quite the rant”

“I think it’s the wine” I laughed a little and he smiled in response. I was so wrapped up in my own problems, that I didn’t even notice how good he looked. He was in a black fitted sweater, his blonde hair slightly damp and his were eyes greener than I remembered them.

“I’m sure you’ll figure it out” he said, “But you should slow down on the wine”

“I’m making a great first impression” I said, spinning the glass around slowly, “I haven’t done this in a while”

“My first impression of you was over a week ago, and I asked you here didn’t I? So I think you made a decent impression” I heard the sarcasm come out a little and I smiled, looking down slightly.

“You flatter me too much”

“Well, you keep saying things and doing things that should be complimented.”

“You barely know me”

He shrugged, “A woman of your status and beauty should hear it. And you should hear it more often than you do”

“How do you know I don’t”

“Because you act like it’s the first time anyone has ever said any of this to you”

“How about we talk about you?” I asked, shifting the subject dramatically, “What’s life like with the Blackhawks?”

He didn’t argue, but he began to talk, “It’s good. I love the game, I love the city and I love traveling every other day. What more can you ask for than getting paid to do something you love, right?”
I wouldn’t know.

“You’re right” I lied, “I know what you mean”

“You like your job?”

“It’s all I’ve ever done”

“That’s not what I asked”

“I thought we were talking about you?” I asked, taking a sip, “I’m more interested in that”

“And I’m intrigued by you and your constant need to keep changing the subject away from anything to do with you”

“I’m not that interesting”

“I beg to differ”

I shrugged, “I like my job. I like that it’s family and I like—“ I couldn’t finish the sentence, so I stopped abruptly, unsure of what to say next. I didn’t like my job and this is the first time I realized it. It’s one thing to not like your job when you’re a kid, or paying for school but when this is to be your career, this isn’t what I should be feeling, especially when it’s family, “I don’t know”

“You don’t”

I shrugged, “It doesn’t matter. I agreed to do this. My dad is counting on me”

“I won’t argue with you, but in my opinion, you shouldn’t be working somewhere where you’re being coaxed into working for your dad. But do something you’re passionate about, even if it is chasing a black piece of rubber around the ice”

I laughed at the last part and shook my head, “How about we order?”

He agreed to that and we ordered. We spent the evening chatting back and forth about basic interests. Nothing to do with my job or hockey but about the lives we had outside of it. Our favorite things and favorite memories. It was the first time I had genuinely laughed and forgotten about work and my dad.

“You’re drunk” he laughed as we both stepped out of the bar. I wasn’t stumbling, but I was giggly, which was enough of an indicator, “Maybe a little?” I responded while biting my lip. I guessed it was the wine, but I was somewhat attracted to him and the way the streetlight caught his skin, his eyes now looking lighter than before. He met my gaze, as if it was a staring contest, before I looked away, my stomach was in knots, “I win” he stated. I looked up to see a smug grin on his face and I laughed again, my stomach sore from laughing so much.

“I’ll get you next time” I replied, giving him a slight nudge with my elbow. He looked down at me from the corner of his eye, and smirked just slightly but never responded. He decided to drive me home, since I wasn’t in any condition to drive.

We stopped in front of the building and I grabbed my purse and set it on my lap, “I’m glad I gave you my number Kris”

“I’m glad I called you Katherine”

I smiled, letting the wine speak for me, “You can call me Kat you know”

His eyebrows raised, “Kat?”

It was my nickname, but it was what most people called me when I was in high school and university. I stopped hearing it once I started working for my dad. It was nice to hear someone saying it again.

I nodded, “Yah.”

He shrugged, “Alright then Kat. I’m glad I called you. I hope I can call you again”

I nodded again, “I definitely hope you do”

He smiled and like it was contagious, I smiled right back.

“You have a beautiful smile” he said, “You need to use it more often”

“Maybe I will”

I met his gaze, and I didn’t want to break away. I could suddenly feel the tension in the car, and I wanted to kiss him, and I even leaned in slightly, and he followed. When he got close enough, his breath was on my skin and I wanted him to kiss me, but that could be the wine speaking.
We were still close, and his eyes kept looking down up and down, like he was deciding whether to kiss me. He smirked a little and then sat back, “Goodnight Katherine”

I took a sharp breath in and sat back, unbuckling my seatbelt, “Goodnight Kris”

I shut the door behind me and held from looking back. I heard the car shift and drive off. I stepped inside, took the stairs and arrived at my apartment. I searched for my keys and I went to unlock the door, but I noticed my hands shaking and I laughed a little.

I like him. A lot.