Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Campfire

A sound of a car horn quickly woke me up from my sleep. I sat up and rubbed my eyes as we slowly stopped. Everyone got out of the cars and went to the front of our car line. I realized that I was the only one who didn't follow, but nobody seemed to notice. Since I was now part of the group, I should probably join them.

I climbed over the back before jumping and landing with a thud on the road. A few people glanced back at me causing me to blush. I was probably making a little too much noise if they heard my feet hit the ground. I casually walked over to join in on the conversation, even though I probably wouldn't listen much or speak.

When I was finally with the group, they were talking about camping on the side of the road for the night. Nobody seemed to happy with that idea. I stared down at my shoes and kicked some pebbles as they began disagreeing with each other. I couldn't stand when people argued. Right now it was making me feel like an awkward outcast. I took a few steps back before turning around and walking to the car that had my bag. I glanced back to see that nobody realized that I had left. I opened the car door before grabbing my bag. I took out a blanket that was in it and wrapped it around my shoulders. I put my bag back before going to the other side of the car and sitting on the ground against it. I glanced over to see that the group was splitting up. They all looked pretty pissed about something. It made me feel a bit happy that I hadn't heard the rest of the conversation. I stood up as a few people walked my way, one of them being the boy.

"Where did you get that?" He asked. I knew he was talking about my blanket.

"Oh, um I got it out of my bag. Why, are you cold?" I asked curiously. He nodded, so I gave him the blanket I had.

"Thank you." He smiled and I smiled back. I was now cold, but didn't say anything.

I followed the boy over to where a fire was being sat up. Carol smiled when she saw me. I sat down on the cold ground and smiled back. I was waiting for the fire, so that it would warm me up. I wanted to get Jakob's bag, so I would have another blanket, but remembered that that bag was long gone.

"You seem a bit happier." Carol commented. I just nodded my head, hoping that I didn't seem rude for not speaking. "I'm really sorry we couldn't save Jake," she spoke a bit quieter. I could tell that she didn't know if it was a good subject to bring up or not.

"It's fine. I know that you did the best you could." I admitted. "Thanks for at least trying. I just regret the argument I had with him the day before. I wish the last words he heard from me were 'I love you.'"

"He knew that you loved him." Maggie smiled as she joined the conversation. "When you were passed out he would ask about you every time someone went to check on him." I laughed a little knowing that he would do that.

It got quiet after that. The fire was now going and most of the others joined around the fire to stay warm. The boy complained that he was hungry.

"There is chicken noodle soup." I answered without thinking. Everyone seemed to focus their attention on me.

"I thought we didn't have any food?" Lori asked me.

"I had a box and some bags full of canned goods. It's in the back of the car." I shrugged. I guess nobody knew what was in the box and bags.

"That was all food?" the leader asked me as he joined us. I could feel the tension between everyone. I let out a small laugh before nodding my head yes.

The group leader and another guy went to the car to get the food. They came back smiling with the box and bags.

"Where did you get all of that?" Someone around the fire asked. I wasn't paying attention to who.

"Jake and I found a cabin. That was all the food there was, well besides the few cans we managed to eat. Jake packed it up, so if we had to go. When we did leave, he carried it to the road." Everyone seemed impressed.

"How long will all that last us?" Lori asked.

"With as many of us there are, probably a week." The leader spoke. "We will still need to get more supplies though."

Everyone took a can of soup. I watched as a few took knives and tried to open it causing me to laugh a little.

"I have a can opener." I smiled as I remembered putting it into my bag. Everyone just looked at me as if I was now some kind of hero.

I got up and went to the car to get my bag. I brought it back with me so I could see in it with light coming from the fire. I sat down before opening the bag and pulling out a bag of chips and then the can opener. I handed the can opener to Carol since I planned on eating my chips.

"Do you have any more chips?" the boy asked when he saw that I was eating the chips I took out of my bag.

"No, sorry. The rest of the chips were in the other bag..." I held out the bag and offered him some chips. He smiled and took some.

"Carl..." Lori glanced over at the boy.

"Thank you!" Carl spoke with a mouth full of chips. I smiled.

"You are a lifesaver!" A guy, who I was pretty sure was Maggie's boyfriend, spoke. He handed me the can opener.

"Not really." I shrugged.

Everyone was sitting around eating and talking.

"So was the cabin the place you stayed after you left the farm?" Carol asked.

"Yeah, we had hoped to stay longer, but that didn't work out."

"Why did you leave the farm in the first place?" Carol questioned. A few others were listening to our conversation.

"Um, well, we didn't think it was very safe. We were also use to it being just us two." I hoped that I didn't offend anyone.

"Fair enough." Carol nodded.

Everyone pretty much stayed by each other once they were done eating. The leader, whose name I learned was Rick, walked away from the group. When he was far enough away, a few others started whispering about him. I took a glance at Rick to see that he wasn't really paying any attention to us. I tuned out the whispering, not really wanting to know what it was about. I didn't want any part of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I want the story to follow the story line, but not exactly the same. That's why it will have some changes