Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Apartment

A week had passed since I hurt my ankle. It was still swollen , but not as bad as it was. All around my ankle was still black and blue. Jake determined that it was only sprained badly since it didn't feel like it was broken to him. It hurt like hell when he tested that theory.

Jake and I gave up on finding Rick's group. All we were doing was wasting gas, and gas was getting harder to find for us. Jake did manage to find a pair of crutches as well as some painkillers. I knew I would most likely be on crutches for months until my ankle completely healed which I was sure it was starting to do so.

We were currently staying in an apartment on the second floor of the three story building. Jake wanted us to be up high, but not so high that I might not make it down quick enough if we had to leave, so the middle was decided. We were in a small city where we had been staying for the past day and a half. Jake wanted to check out some of the stores and there weren't many walkers which was the main reason we stayed. Only a few walkers were around the apartment we were currently in.

"I'm going to check out a few stores a few blocks over." Jake told me before kissing my lips and leaving.

I knew Jake still loved me, but since I found him a lot has changed. I think it mostly had to do with me thinking he was dead for nearly a week. He knew I had been safe, but I had been told he was dead. What did he really expect? The thing I noticed that changed the most was that he never really wanted to stay around me. Every time we found somewhere to stay, he would make sure I was alright before leaving and looking for supplies. At least he still cared enough to make sure I was alright, but what if I needed him when he was gone. All I had was my pocket knife and a gun Jake gave to me. I guess my crutches could be a weapon. You would think Jake would worry more since I couldn't even walk.

I was sitting in a chair facing towards the window so that I could see out of it. The beaten up pick up truck that Jake found yesterday was no longer parked behind his black Camaro on the street. I knew he had taken the truck since it would hold more supplies, that was the main reason he got it. I glanced over at the three walkers across the street. They were staggering around each other, not sure to what they should be doing. They had been like that since we got here. Jake was going to kill them, but realized they didn't really leave the same spot or notice us, so he let them be.

It was darker than usual today, due to it being cloudy. It looked like it could rain at any moment. I really hope it didn't though because it would be even cooler outside. I knew it had to be at least early to mid October since the temperature outside was at least in the fifties. I sometimes wished I had a calendar just so that I could keep track of the days. If I did have a calendar I would first have to figure out what month and day it was.

I frowned when I saw one of the walkers fall to the ground out of the corner of my eyes. I turned my glance from the gray sky to the ground just as the other two walkers fell down. I began to panic as I realized it couldn't be Jake who shot them down since the truck wasn't back. I stood up quickly, wincing at the pain that shot through my leg. I grabbed my crutches that were leaning against the wall. I then got to the corner of the window to look out so nobody could see me. I leaned against the wall, taking all of my weight off of my right foot. Rain began pouring down causing me to frown again. Why did it have to rain at the worse time possible? I got closer to the window, trying to see anyone outside. The rain hitting the window began making it blurry to see. I could make out three figures running towards the Camaro. They ran past it and came towards the apartment building. Shit. This was not good.

I quickly looked around the small apartment I was in. The door had a chain lock at the top, a deadbolt, and a regular lock. I knew I had to lock all three, just in case the people came inside and began searching the building. I placed my crutches against the wall. If I used them and they were inside, they would most likely hear the small thuds from the crutches and want to check to see where they came from. I limped my way as quickly as I could to the door. I tried my best to keep all my weight off of my right leg. Even though I had painkillers in my system, they didn't fully get rid of the pain. I got to the door and quickly locked all three locks.

Within seconds, I heard footsteps in the hallway. I carefully slid down the wall and sat on the floor in front of the door. Hopefully they hadn't heard the noise I made. Footsteps came closer and I heard the first two apartment doors open. I held my breath when the footsteps came out of both of those rooms and towards the next two. I was in the second apartment on the right side. Footsteps stopped in front of the door. The doorknob turned some, but didn't open. I could hear the door to the apartment across from me open. The bronze doorknob was just inches above my head, rattling again as someone tried to open it. I just hoped they would go away and not try to knock the door down. I was scared as hell and really wished Jake would come back.
♠ ♠ ♠
what do you think? I will write one more chapter for tonight :)