Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Help

A distant sound from the road awakened me from my sleep, something I didn't mean to do in the first place. How long had I even been out? At first I thought I was still half in dream land. I listened carefully and made sure I was hearing right. There was no way, but it sounded like a car. I glanced out down the highway from where I heard the faint sound. All I could see was darkness. The sound was getting closer though. I knew the car was probably coming over the hill. I began to get excited. There were other people still alive. This was proof and it gave me hope on living.

"Jake! Jake!" I hissed at him, trying to wake him up. He mumbled something, but I couldn't understand it, so I ignored him. "Listen!" I could barely control my excitement of knowing that other humans were still alive. The noise of the car got closer. I looked down the road and saw headlights heading our way. "Jake! There are other people alive! They can help us! They have to." I glanced down to barely see his head move towards the sound. It was still pretty dark, but I could tell that he was beginning to climb down the tree once he knew I was right. I began to follow only for Jake to tell me to stay where I was until it was safe to come down.

I took a glance back at the highway as the car got closer. I squinted my eyes as I tried to tell what kind of car it was, or anything about the car really. As it got a bit closer, I could tell that it was a black van. It was going to pass where we were hiding within a few seconds. I was hoping that Jake could make it to the road in time for whoever was driving to see him. These people, or maybe one person, could help us, but only if they stopped when they saw Jake. Since the world was now fucked up as ever, they would probably help. They just had to. Nobody would be cruel enough to ignore other living beings.

I was grinning widely as I heard Jake's feet softly hitting the ground. Only a few more seconds and we could have help. He ran out of the woods onto the highway just in time causing the van to swerve to avoid hitting him. The van came to a sudden stop a few feet from Jake. Yes! They had stopped for Jake. Probably because they almost hit him.

I could make out two guys getting out of the back of the van and walking towards Jake. I heard voices, but I was too far away to make out any words. Jake's voice was the only voice I recognized. I knew Jake was probably asking for their help and telling them about everything that has happened to us. Jake was the kind of person who always put others first and always cared about them. How could anyone say no to helping him?

As the men were a few feet away from Jake, one brought up his arm. I could slightly make out a pistol. "No." I quickly frowned. Jake had no time to react. My eyes widened in horror as the loud bang broke the silence. Tears suddenly started streaming down my cheeks when Jake fell to the ground making a light thud. I quickly put one hand over my mouth to try and not scream out to Jake. My other hand was awkwardly reaching out for him, but he was too far away.

These people weren't going to help us. Why should they? It was a fight to survive type of world now. They didn't need us. They would much rather us to be dead. We would have been just two more people to feed.

I knew I was wrong and had fucked up big time by getting my boyfriend of two years shot. He was the love of my life. There was still a chance that he was still alive since he was shot in the chest. I knew that I had to make it to him fast once the men left. He needed to know that I was sorry and it was all my fault. I also wanted to help him. He could live. We could both keep living. I just needed to get to him before the dead came to eat him. I made a promise to myself that I would save him and everything would go back to normal.

I turned my attention back to the evil men. One of the men grabbed Jake's gun before glancing around. My heart was beating rapidly, hoping that Jake didn't say anything about me or that they didn't hear me up in a nearby tree. It felt as if one was staring right at me, so I held my breath and sat as still as I could. They spoke to each other, but once again I couldn't make out words. It was a bit of relief when both men got back into the car and left.

Once the car was far enough away from seeing me, I began making my way down the tree a little too quickly. I slipped on a branch halfway down and caught myself on a nearby branch after dropping my bag and gun. I whimpered in pain as I scratched up my palms more from the rough bark. I could feel the blood trickle down to my wrists. I quickly wiped my hands on my ripped, blood stained jeans. I took a deep breath to calm myself before quickly returning to going down the tree. I had only made it down one branch when I slipped once again. This time I couldn't grab anything but the warm air and some small twigs sticking out of the limbs. I even managed to grab a leaf or two. I stared up at the night sky seeing the stars once again as I felt my body getting scratches from the branches I was hitting. I knew I was falling from at least seven feet from the ground. I let out a loud scream before my body hit the hard ground. Pain shot through my whole body cause to me to moan out in pain. I knew my back had landed right on the gun I dropped moments before. My head had hit a big rock. I could feel the blood oozing out of the gash that was now on the back of my head. I thought back to how I was thinking of falling and dying just hours ago. Guess I just had to jinx myself. I felt woozy before my eyes closed and everything around me went pitch black.