Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Truth

I was sitting around with the others as we waited for Maggie, Glenn, Rick and Daryl to come back. T-Dog was still on watch with Hershel helping. Lori was talking with Carol while Carl and Beth were both reading books. I was laying down, staring up at the speckled ceiling tiles.

"Shouldn't they be back by now? They've been gone all mornin'" Lori spoke to T-Dog.

It was true, they had been gone all morning. I knew everyone was worried since what happened yesterday. Who or what says that it couldn't happen again?

"We should look for 'em." Beth spoke softly.

"Not a good idea." I spoke for the first time since I woke up a few hours ago.

"Why?" Beth asked. I knew all their eyes were on me.

"'Cause Rick would want us to stay here. It's much safer here. We also don't know where they are exactly. Last time we went lookin' for them, they weren't where they said they'd be. They came back then didn't they?" I was trying to be optimistic, but was failing. "I'm sure they are trying to find someplace safe for us." I reassured them after seeing their worried faces.

It was silent between us all after that. I sat up so I could see everyone better. Beth and Carl went back to reading their books. Lori was looking out the dirty window, watching for their return. T-Dog and Hershel were doing the same as well as watching for walkers. Carol was looking straight at me. It made me uncomfortable, but didn't say anything about it.

"Can I ask you something?" she asked, seeming a bit scared to what I might say.

"Sure," I smiled. Carol was the one in the group that I talked the least to. Usually we would just smile each other.

"Why did you decide to stay with us?" she asked, causing me to slightly frown.

"What do you mean?" I wasn't sure if she meant after they left the farm or some other time since I had came back a few times now.

"Anytime really." Carol replied. She seemed a bit uneasy with asking me and I wasn't exactly sure why. It's not like it really bothered me that she asked.

"Um, well..." I glanced around to see all eyes on me once again except Carl, who was too busy reading his book. I wasn't sure how to respond. I wasn't even one hundred percent sure on why I stayed."First time I stayed because I knew I needed to be around people. I wouldn't have survived by myself." I furrowed my eyebrows as I thought about what I was going to say next. "I probably would've killed myself and gave up on all hope." I admitted. "The only real reason why I'm here now is because I'm still hurt. Also because you all are like my family." I let out a small laugh. "Well except for a few. Still pissed off that I was left behind."

"None of us wanted to leave you. Daryl had managed to somehow convince Rick that you were bad for the group. You said you had heard us that mornin'. I tried to convince Rick otherwise. If anything, you have really helped this group." Lori spoke once I finished talking. I could tell that she genuinely cared about me.

"We did go back for you, but you were gone. We truly regret doing that to you." Carol gave me a small smile. I knew she was telling the truth. Almost everyone in this group liked me...except that one person.

"Why did you go back?" I wondered aloud.

"We weren't just going to leave you there...well we were, but we knew you needed us since you were injured." Hershel spoke up.

I let my eyes roam over each of their faces, seeing regret written on all of them. I could tell that it was one of their biggest regrets. It was not like them at all to leave someone behind. Daryl would, most likely Rick since he left Daryl's brother behind, but these people around me right now could never do such a thing. They were only doing what their leader thought was best even though they knew it was the wrong decision. I understood that. I smiled a little knowing that these few people cared about me as if I was their family.

"What about the others?" I asked, before quickly being more specific. "Not Daryl, but Maggie, Glenn, and Rick? Do they even care that I'm with all of you?"

"Why don't you ask 'em?" T-Dog spoke before nodding his head out towards the door.

We all quickly went outside to see greet them. Really it was just the others who quickly went outside and I followed like a lost puppy.

Rick began explaining to us that there was a small church on the outskirts of the town we were currently in. It was the safest place they had found, so it would be where we were going.

"I believe Liz has something to ask." Hershel told Rick once he had finished talking.

"What?" I asked, confused to what he was talking about. I quickly frowned when I remembered what I had asked the others moments before Rick and the other three arrived.

"What is it?" Maggie asked.

Everyone was now watching me and it made me uncomfortable. Asking Maggie and Glenn would be easy. Rick? Not so much. I wasn't even going to ask Daryl since I really could care less what he had to say.

"Well...?" Glenn made a motion with his hands telling me to hurry up.

"Oh, it's nothing really. We should probably get to that church." I told them as I glanced at Rick. I had to use my hand to block the sun from my eyes.

Rick nodded before telling everyone to grab their stuff and get ready to go. I let out a sigh of relief. I hated being put on the spot like that. If I was going to ask them what they thought about me being in the group, I would do it where it was more of a private conversation, not one of those public ones. I caught Hershel shaking his head in disappoint as he walked back into the post office. Hopefully, they would all forget about my question.