Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Sleep

I never went back inside the cabin. Instead, I stayed in my car with the doors locked, hoping nobody would bother me. I still had my pillow and blankets in my car, so I fell asleep listening to the rain pound on the car.

When I woke up, the sun was in my eyes. The rain had stopped sometime in the middle of the night while I was asleep. Just from inside my car, I could see that the rain had made everything muddy. I got out of the car before stretching and looking around. Not a single person was outside. I had no idea if anyone was even on watch. I popped my neck and back before leaving footprints in the mud all the way to the cabin.

I quietly opened the cabin door, not wanting to wake anyone that was still asleep. The bright sunlight was shining through the windows and now the doorway. I could see everyone laying around, fast asleep. Maggie had her head on Glenn's shoulder with his head resting on her head. They were both slouched down on the couch. Carl was fast asleep on the other end of the couch, curled up. Beth was on the floor in front of the couch with her head laying on the couch cushion near Carl's feet. It made me wonder how many times Carl accidentally kicked her in the head while asleep. Rick had fallen asleep sitting on the floor with his head resting against the wall. Lori was still at the table, but leaned over with her head resting on her crossed arms. Carol sat across from her sitting the exact same way. T-Dog was actually laying on the floor, sound asleep. Hershel was reclined back in the recliner that he had claimed. Daryl was sitting in front of the door, almost exactly like Rick, except he was sitting straight up and not leaning his head on the wall. It was kind of cute and funny with how they were all sleeping. It also worried me that nobody was on watch and they were all still fast asleep even though it was mid-morning.

I closed the door quietly, deciding to let them all sleep. I would be on lookout for them, although I was still a bit pissed off from yesterday. I went to my car and grabbed my knife and gun. I began walking around the cabin. Every step I took, my foot would sink into the mud making a squishy sound and then I would almost lose my boot when I brought my foot up. After making my way around the cabin, I opted to leaning against the front of the cabin before one of my boots actually got stuck in the mud. We all knew that that would lead to me somehow falling into the mud, and I didn't plan on being covered head to toe in it.

It was another hour before I actually heard movement from inside the cabin. I knew if anyone took a glance out of the window that they wouldn't see me since I was standing against the wall by the door. Too bad I hadn't thought about moving my car sooner and made it look I left. I would have loved to see their reaction then. I had to remember that for next time when everyone decided they would all sleep at once. That would probably never happen again.

The door opened and Rick came out. He walked right past me without even noticing. It wasn't until noises coming from beside the cabin to our left, did he see me. I quickly made my way to the side of the cabin with Rick closely following. I had my knife out when I turned the corner. I began chuckling when I saw a walker stuck in the mud. He was reaching out trying to grab at Rick and I, but was too far away. He couldn't even move his foot up out of the mud. I took a few steps forward before stabbing him in the head, putting him out of his misery. I then followed Rick back to the door of the cabin, wiping off the blood on the blade of my knife.

"How long you've been up?" He asked quietly, once we were standing in front of the door. I knew the others must still be asleep.

"An hour or so." I answered, taking my spot back against the cabin.

"You didn't wake anyone?" Rick asked, confusion crossed his face when he realized nobody had been on lookout.

"Nah, everybody was sleepin'. Figured they could use it, so I kept watch." I shrugged, hoping that Rick didn't care that I didn't wake anyone.

The door opened from behind Rick. Rick moved to the other side as Daryl came outside. He nodded at Rick and I before closing the door behind him quietly.

"Figured ya would'a left." Daryl said to me.

I shrugged. "Was too busy sleeping." The thought of actually leaving didn't even cross my mind. I knew I was better off in this group.

Rick and Daryl began going over plans for today. We needed more food and a bigger place than this cabin. We all knew that, but didn't know where to find either.

"Ya goin' with me?" Daryl asked, looking in my direction.

"Where?" I asked, confused to where we would be going.

"Huntin'," Daryl nodded his head towards the nearby woods. I let out a quiet laugh.

"You're kidding, right?" I asked. He had a serious look on his face that told me that he wasn't joking. I quickly stopped laughing. "No, I think I will stay here. I'd be no help to you. Plus, I don't kill animals." I'm sure he knew that I knew nothing about hunting, and that I wouldn't kill an animal. It made me wonder why he asked in the first place.

"We'll leave 'round noon." Rick told Daryl as he began his way to the woods.

It was just Rick and I once again. I heard no movement from inside, so everyone else was still sleeping, or being very quiet. Either way, I was enjoying the silence.