Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Storage

"So, this just lead us back to the town where we stayed in the motel?" Glenn asked, as he ran his finger along the road on the map.

It was late in the afternoon and Rick, Daryl, Glenn, and I were looking over the map, trying to find where to go next. Rick was trying to mark the towns and ways we had gone before since we didn't always use a map.

"I had passed only two main highways, didn't turn on either." I told them as I pointed towards the map at the locations I was talking about. "I don't remember seeing many driveways, but there might be a house or two to check out."

"It's worth a shot." Glenn spoke, knowing that we would need a place to stay tonight. Outside was our last option since it got below freezing at night.

We went over our options on where to go before Rick finally made a decision. We were staying on the highway that lead us back to the town where a horde of walkers had taken over. If we didn't find somewhere safe to stay off of the highway, we were hoping that the walkers had long left the town.

I made my way back to my car, sending a smile at everyone I walked past. It wasn't because I was happy, but because I felt like I was giving some hope to these people. Some hope that we would find a place to stay for a month or two. We were all getting tired of constantly moving around, especially Lori.

We pulled into the first driveway we saw. We drove for half a mile until finding a small shack that was falling apart. Nobody had to stop to know that we weren't staying here. It wasn't even safe to check for supplies. We each made a U-turn before heading back out to the highway.

We had no such luck with the next two driveways we found. Both were houses that looked like a tornado had hit them. They were really old; one had actually collapsed while the other was barely standing. I wasn't sure what had happened to them, especially since they were at least five miles from each other. I would say nobody ever lived in them if it wasn't for the fact that a somewhat nice car was parked outside one of them, and the other had an old beat up pickup truck.

We had already passed the spot where I found the rest of the group. I knew the semi was going to come up soon. I wasn't sure if I should be shocked, happy, sad, or whatever when I saw it. It wasn't like it meant something to me, but then again it did. It was something I drove and made me feel powerful. I knew that I wouldn't drive it again, even if I had the chance. Jake's Camaro, my car, now meant a lot to me. More than a semi ever would.

I saw it in the distance and we quickly drove past it. I stared at it smiling, knowing it was something that had been fun at one point. I kept my eyes on it as I passed it, looking back in the rear view mirror. I finally took my eyes off it once we were going around the corner. Wrecking this beautiful car wasn't something I wanted to do.

I began to get nervous as we got closer to the town. What if walkers were still there? Where would we stay tonight? The sun was already beginning to set, not leaving much daylight left. Many walkers and darkness wasn't a pleasant idea either.

I let out a sigh of relief when we got to the town that was now almost empty. We kept driving, seeing only a few walkers stumbling around. The sound of the vehicles caught their attention as they began following after us, but too slow to catch up. We kept going until we were at the part of town we hadn't been to before. Debris scattered the ground from the walkers that been here. Some of it was probably from anyone who had raided this area before. We kept driving until we came upon storage lockers. I couldn't exactly question it as we followed Daryl in between the metal buildings.

"We are staying here?" I asked as soon as I was out of my car.

I turned to see each of the storage lockers were bolted shut still, meaning nobody had thought to look inside any of them. Highly doubt they held anything useful, unless someone had weapons in it.

"How do we get them open?" Carol asked as we all began forming a circle.

Daryl raised his gun and shot a lock without warning us. We either quickly ducked or were on guard. After realizing we weren't in danger, we stared at Daryl as he pulled the broken lock off of the storage unit.

"The fuck were you thinking?!" I asked. His response was holding up the broken lock and waving it around, letting us know that was how we would open them.

Daryl pulled up the door as we got closer to him. Inside the small storage unit was a few boxes. Otherwise it was pretty much empty. Another gunshot came from behind, startling us. Rick had shot at a lock that was opposite of the unit we were looking it.

"Is the plan to shoot the locks and check each storage unit...or....?" I asked, not sure what we were really doing here.

Lori and Carl were inside the the storage unit going through the boxes, while everyone else was looking at Rick, except Daryl who shot at another lock.

"Guess that's the plan." Glenn answered me, since Rick didn't.

We went and grabbed our guns before going to the other side to shoot the lock over there. I didn't know why we were opening them, but I did know we were going draw attention of the walkers since gunshots kept ringing out.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry, but a filler chapter once again.