Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Occupied

We had shot all the locks on the thirty or so storage units. We were now standing around, waiting to be told what to do next and on guard for any walkers that could be coming. The sun was setting, meaning it would be too dark to actually go through all the storage units tonight. My eyes were on Daryl as he walked to the fence surrounding the storage units. He went to the open silver gates we had went through, something I hadn't noticed before. The gates made a loud screeching sound, causing me to flinch as he pulled them closed, keeping the walkers out of here for the night. He came back over to us just as Rick began speaking.

"These three here..." Rick pointed to the storage unit that had been opened first and the two next to it. "...will be where we stay tonight. I want everyone close together for now. Daryl thinks that very few walkers will be heading this way, and that the fence will keep them out 'til morning." Rick took a glance at the fence before looking back at the group standing in front of him. "Just to be safe, keep the door down when you're inside. You may go through whatever is in the unit you're in, but we will go through all of these units in the morning." Rick then told us to fit as many people as we could into the three storage units, deciding for ourselves who would be staying where.

We all began looking into the three units we had our choice from. It was obvious that Lori, Carl, and Rick were going to be in the first unit that was opened. That led to the rest of us to try and figure out which we were staying in. Each unit was small, like the first that was opened. One of the units was completely empty, the other was half full of boxes, red and white storage buckets, a rusty bed frame, and two kid bicycles.

"I'll take this one," I told the others, referring to the unit that was half full. Half full meant that only two or three people would be able to fit in it. I also wanted to go through the stuff to keep me occupied for awhile. You never know what you can find.

I went to my car and got my pillow and blankets before heading to the unit I was staying in. Rick handed me a flashlight, knowing that I no longer had one and I quickly thanked him. I frowned when I got back to my unit. Seeing Daryl leaning against the wall wasn't something I was expecting to see. I realized that the only reason he chose this unit was because it would probably be only me and him. He wouldn't want to be in the other units surrounded by more people. He wasn't exactly a people person, much like myself, but this group had grown on me. I still didn't want to be surrounded by them constantly though.

Daryl said nothing as I placed my stuff down on a nearby box before leaning against the wall opposite of him. When nobody else entered the unit, he pulled the door down. My flashlight was on, lighting up the entire small area. Through the thin walls I could hear voices of the ones occupying the unit to our right, between mine and Rick's unit. I could make out the voices of Hershel, Maggie, Glenn, and Beth. That left T-Dog and Carol in the unit with Rick's family. I ignored their conversations before moving my blankets and pillow to the floor beside the door, so I could start going through stuff like Daryl was already doing.

The first thing I grabbed was a medium sized box. I sat down on the floor before opening it. Inside was a bunch of old papers. Most of the papers were of a child's drawings and work from school. At the top of one school paper I read the name Kenny G. This box was pointless, so I put the box to the side before getting up and opening the next box while still standing. It would be pointless to sit back down since I'd probably just get back up. If the box seemed like it had useful stuff to go through, then I'd sit down.

It wasn't even thirty minutes later when Daryl was sliding the door up. I gave him a questioning look, knowing that everyone else would hear the screeching the door made, wondering why we were opening our unit's door for. He said nothing as he began moving the bicycles out and then the bed frame, placing each next to the unit to our left out of everyone's way. He came back and got the boxes and storage buckets he went through before doing the exact same thing with them. He stacked them as high as he could before they would topple over. He looked over at the stacked boxes and buckets next to me. I gave him a nod and he began taking them away. I watched as he took two of the brown boxes beside me, taking them to one of the stacks that wasn't high enough yet. He came back and took the last two boxes, leaving a red storage bucket and a white one. When he came back for them, he shot a glance at me, knowing that I was watching every movement. His deep blue eyes stared into mine until he took the buckets away. I finally looked away from him and began looking around the small unit. My eyes stayed off of him as he came back inside and began sliding the door back down behind him. The unit had much more room than it did earlier, leaving the very back wall stacked with boxes and buckets. Neither of us said a word as we went back to going through what was still left inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks fienix66613 for commenting. it's like you know when I'm getting ready to update :)