Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Down

The rest of the day quickly went by. Almost every hour someone would walk along the fence killing the walkers that gathered. I knew we were hours away from having to leave. Last time it was my turn with Rick to check along the fence we had to kill at least sixty walkers. The bodies were piling up fast along the fence. The walkers would step onto the dead ones and that wasn't good either. How long would it take before they actually fell over the fence or pushed it down? It was too dangerous for any of us to go out there and pull the dead bodies back, so it had to stay that way.

Almost everyone had went to bed early. Only ones awake were Rick, Daryl, Maggie, Glenn, and I. Rick never said anything about probably needing to leave, but we all knew it was possible. That was why most went to bed early while the rest of us kept watch. It wasn't easy killing the walkers at night with just a flashlight and the moon to see them, but it had to be done. Maggie and Glenn were currently walking around the perimeter of the fence, while Daryl, Rick, and I sat around the fire waiting for them to come back or yell that the fence was down.

I was almost asleep sitting in the chair when Glenn and Maggie came back. Fresh walker blood covered most of their upper body. It covered the dried up blood from throughout the day. I knew that Daryl, Rick, and I looked exactly the same as them. All we were doing was caking more walker blood over the dried blood on ourselves and using our energy. We weren't thinning out the walkers at all, now that I think about it. Every time we killed them, more came right back along the fence when the next group went.

Daryl, Rick, and I got up from our chairs, ready to make our way around the fence. Maggie and Glenn quickly took our places on the chairs. They were so tired and probably could fall asleep at any moment. Hopefully they didn't do that though. I went with Rick while Daryl went the opposite direction. The only reason I kept going with Rick was because I trusted him more than Daryl. Rick didn't like Daryl going the opposite from us, but didn't stop him since the first time he told him not to go away from us didn't turn out well. Daryl told Rick he could handle himself.

Our flashlights were shining brightly in one hand while our knives were in the other. I stayed close to Rick as we began killing the walkers that were along the fence once again. We went the same way where Maggie and Glenn first started, so of course there were more here than where Daryl was. I was so tired that I didn't really even care what I was doing. I wasn't enjoying killing these fucking things anymore. At least a hundred were killed by me already today.

We easily killed the walkers that lined the fence. It wasn't until we were a fourth of the way around when we ran into a problem. Dozens of walkers were along this fence again. I was sure that Glenn and Maggie cleared it not even an hour ago. They were pushing against it while some were grabbing for us over the top of the fence. This was not good at all. The fence was at least six or seven feet high. If they were able to reach over it now, how much longer would it be until they were able to fall over it.

"Rick, should we maybe leave now?" I fearfully asked as I took in the scene in front of me.

Rick killed a few walkers that were reaching over the fence before looking at me. He shined the light into my face and saw how terrified I was, before turning the light onto the almost overridden fence. The fence was beginning to buckle due to all the walkers. Instead of answering me, he yelled for Maggie, Glenn, and Daryl. He then told me to be careful, but continue killing them for now. I did what he said as footsteps came running up to us from behind. I kept killing the walkers while Rick momentarily stopped to tell Maggie to wake the others to get ready to go. Glenn began helping me until Rick finished talking. There was then a yell for Rick, and I knew this was turning bad quickly. I didn't even realize that Daryl wasn't over here. Glenn left and ran towards Daryl telling Rick he would help him. Rick told me that we had to keep them back a few more minutes until everyone was ready to go.

It felt like hours as I kept killing the walkers. More and more were already joining the group in front of us. There was yelling from behind us and I knew that one of the fences must have fell down. I didn't even need Rick to say anything as I turned around to run towards the cars behind Rick. I was only a few feet from the fence when it gave. I could hear them groaning behind me as they followed behind me. I screamed when one stumbled onto me, knocking me down to the ground on my stomach with it on my back. I elbowed it in the face to keep it from biting me. Rick quickly came back for me before stabbing the walker in the head and pulling me up. I had dropped the knife and flashlight when I fell, and that was where I left it. Rick kept a hold of my hand to keep me from falling as we ran towards the cars that were ready to go, except for mine since I had the keys.

When we got to the cars, I could see walkers coming from all directions. I gave a curious glance to Rick when he waved them to go already and going to stand by the passenger door of my car. I caught a glance of Glenn running towards the car that Rick usually drove. I quickly got in my car and started the car. As soon as I got it started, walkers were surrounding the car. I swore loudly before hitting the lock doors button. I chuckled a little when I heard Rick buckle the seat belt. I gave the car some gas as it pushed some of the walkers out of the way. They were blocking my path and most of the windshield and I didn't know what to do.

"Where do I go?!" I asked Rick since I was still not sure. I was actually thankful that he was in the car with me, even though he had to move some of my stuff to my side of the car so he could sit in the passenger seat. Trying to drive with bags on your lap and near your feet wasn't an easy thing to do. It was better than him throwing them out of the car though.

"Speed through 'em," Rick told me. I gave him a questioning look before doing what he said.

The car hit a few walkers with such force that when they hit the top of the car I screamed. I soon found the gate that led out of the storage lockers. I was surprised to see it open since walkers were coming in through it, but knew Daryl was probably the one who quickly did it. I turned right since I could see the other car lights ahead of me. Walkers were among the road as well, and I tried my best to not hit them. I was surprised when a pair of headlights shined through the back window. I thought I was the last one out, but guess I wasn't.

I began slowing down when I was behind the rest of the cars that were in front of me. Few walkers were now stumbling along the road. I was easily able to avoid hitting them. We began to stop when we got to another highway. After getting our of the car, I learned that T-Dog and Carol were the ones behind us. Everyone began asking if we were okay before pulling me into hugs. I guess they saw my fall because they kept looking at my back and asking if I was bit.

We soon were back on the road. Everyone's original positions in each vehicle changed. Daryl was still on his motorcycle. Carol was driving the car Rick usually drove. Lori and Carl were still the passengers. T-Dog kept driving the truck, but he was the only one in it. I was tired, so Rick volunteered to drive my car for me, which I let him. I put some of my stuff in the back, so there was more room in the front. Hershel was driving the other car since Glenn and Maggie were both too tired to drive. Daryl was leading us with Rick following. It was then Carol, Hershel, and T-Dog.

I laid my head against the window as Rick drove. I only hoped that he could stay awake longer than I could. Hopefully we would find somewhere to stay again soon since I wanted to lay in a bed again. My eyes closed and I began listening to the humming of the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, someone asked me if there were going to be relationships now. My answer is not right now, and there is a reason why. I know where I want to end this story, but don't know if I will make a sequel or not. I might just keep going after that. My question is who do you want to see Liz with?

Also, I believe we are in mid-January now. Only a couple more months to go...