Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Boredom

The car came to a sudden stop, waking me from my slumber. After blinking a few times, I could see it was nearly dark out. My eyes began searching around, trying to figure out why we came to a sudden stop. Something hit the window that my head was laying on, causing me to jump in the seat. It was then that I realized that walkers were surrounding us. I tried to scoot away from the window, but realized that Carl had fallen asleep with his head on my shoulder, and was still sleeping. I had to scoot over as much as I could from the window as we began backing up.

I couldn't see Daryl in front of us through the windshield. He either turned around already or sped through the horde of walkers. Rick was backing up the car as fast as he could while trying to not hit the car behind us that was doing the same. Lori was like me, sitting as far from the window as she could. She would glance back every few seconds to check on Carl.

My eyes went back to the window only a few inches from me now. Walkers were hitting the window with their dirty, bloody hands leaving smudged hand prints. A few were trying to bite the window getting black blood all over it. One of the walkers near my window had flesh hanging out of its mouth, making me gag a little. All I wanted to do was tell Rick to hurry up, but didn't want to piss him off or have him yell at me.

Carl finally woke up, startled to what he saw around us. I made him scoot more over to the middle of the seat so that I was farther from the window. He was as terrified as Lori. He was keeping as close to me as he could, and I put my arm around him to make him feel safer.

It felt like hours passed before we were able to back up somewhere and turn around. We were now the last of the group speeding away from the horde that someone decided to try and drive through. I could spot Daryl ahead of us leading the group like he always did, and I began hoping that it wasn't into another horde.

We put miles between us and the horde of walkers we got away from before pulling over to the side of the road where we were making camp for the night. Rick thought it was best since we didn't have any other options. It was also not safe to check out anywhere since the sun was almost all the way down.

Nobody really even ate dinner, or anything at all today. The past twenty-four hours had been hectic for all of us, and all we wanted to do was sleep. Nobody wanted to sleep outside on the cold, snowy ground, so we had to figure out what to do. After minutes of talking it out, it was decided that everyone who was tired would sleep in the cars, while the ones who didn't want to sleep were on watch. The ones on watch were going to be Rick, Daryl, Maggie, Glenn, T-Dog and I, even though they wanted me to sleep. Lori and Carl were sleeping in the back of the car we were in, Carol was sleeping in the truck, while Hershel and Beth were sleeping in the back of the car they were in. If walkers came, the plan was to get quickly in the cars and leave. Daryl on his motorcycle, Rick in his car, T-Dog in the truck, me in my car, Glenn and Maggie in the last car.

I stayed close to Daryl and Rick by Daryl's motorcycle. T, Glenn, and Maggie were at the other end near the car Rick drove. We were like that so three people were on each end of the line of cars and able to see walkers from both directions. We could also hear walkers coming from either sides of us as well.

"Ya bein' quiet," Daryl commented as I leaned against his motorcycle, staring straight ahead.

"Didn't know ya wanted me to talk," I shrugged, even though it was too dark to see.

"Ain't ya tired?" Daryl questioned from somewhere beside me.

"A little bit, wouldn't be able to sleep though," I told him. I was mostly afraid of having nightmares again, especially since they only seem to happen at night.

It fell silent between the three of us again, even though Rick never spoke in the first place. Every ten minutes or so, Rick would turn on his flashlight and shine it around, making sure nothing was near us. He would then turn it back off to save battery life.

Hours passed with nothing but silence. Boredom was beginning to get the best of me. The sky was cloudy, so no luck at staring up at the usual starry sky. It was too dark to see anything really. Still no weapons for me, so messing with a knife wouldn't work. Daryl still had my gun, but the last bullet had been used, and I didn't really want it back. I let out a long sigh before kicking the ground with the heel of my boot.

"What's wrong?" Rick asked, his voice coming from a few feet in front of me.

"Fuckin' bored," I groaned before kicking the road again.

"Won't be long 'til mornin'," Rick told me, before letting the silence return.

It felt like a year had passed before I could see the sun rising in the east. The clouds that covered the night sky were no longer around. Birds began chirping around us, causing me to grin a little. It was something different to hear other than the groaning of walkers, which usually drowned out the chirping birds. The cold air was something I've been getting use to, but knew in a few weeks spring would finally arrive with the warmer weather. That was something I was waiting for.
♠ ♠ ♠
just a short filler chapter...or maybe a little long one...idk. I think this is the first chapter that I didn't use 'I' a lot. I also realized that I used 5 chapters for everything that happened in one day...oh well.