Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Clumsy

The next morning I was waiting by the car, ready to leave. Rick asked me to go on a run with him, Maggie, Glenn, and Daryl. We were in a desperate need of food since Daryl was coming back with nothing each time he went out. According to the map they looked over, we were at least ten miles from the next town. Since I was one of the best to go on runs, Rick figured to bring me along and get me out of the house. T-Dog was staying behind to help with anything that might happen here while we were gone.

"Ready to go?" Rick asked, causing me to snap my eyes up from the muddy ground to him.

"Yeah," I murmured as I caught my gun that he tossed me. Daryl had found some bullets for it, and made sure that I had it back.

I climbed into the passenger side of the car. Maggie and Glenn got in the back while Daryl got on his motorcycle. Glenn had the map with him in the back, making sure we were going the right way. Rick and I stayed quiet while Maggie and Glenn talked quietly. My fingers were curled around the gun, making me remember why I didn't want the gun back in the first place. I knew I had to have it though, if something went wrong I had to be able to defend myself from walkers...or even humans.

We were soon entering an abandoned town. It was like all the other towns we've been through. Walkers were stumbling around, waiting to get a hold of their next meal. Buildings had shattered windows and broken doors. Most had been looted months ago as everything began to happen. We would be lucky if we found any food.

I had to look away from the window with what I saw next. Two dead bodies were on the side of the road, both were half eaten. Their insides had been ripped out and blood was splattered around them. It was something that had happened in the past week or so. Other survivors had came here in search of supplies or shelter, maybe both. Instead they became food for the walkers.

We were soon pulling up to a supermarket. Abandoned cars filled half of the parking lot with a few walkers stumbling around. We pulled in front of the used to be automatic doors. The doors were partly open, so all we had to do was pull them apart. We got out and glanced around us for any threats before Rick told us to stay close behind him and Daryl as they went inside. I followed them, making me in the middle, while Glenn and Maggie stayed behind me.

It wasn't too dark inside since there were skylights placed every few feet in the ceiling. Daryl was still using a flashlight just in case we couldn't see something in front of us. We followed as he led us down to the food aisles. We split up so we could search all the food aisles faster. Daryl went by himself, Rick and I went together, and of course Maggie and Glenn were with each other.

We quickly went down each aisle since they were almost empty as usual. Only food products that were ever left were frozen goods that were no longer edible...or drinkable, spices and sauces, and rotten fruit or vegetables that nobody managed to grab. Most of that was usually on the floor since it had been knocked down. We had went through three aisles before running into Daryl who had a few canned goods. We then went back down the main aisle, before going to the aisle before the one Rick and I started on. Maggie and Glenn weren't there yet, so we searched it before running into them in the next aisle. Daryl placed the canned goods into the bag Glenn had. Rick then told us we should check the rest of the store for anything we might need. Maggie agreed a little too quickly before pulling me with her, leaving the three men to search wherever.

"Really?" I asked, as she began dragging me through the store. I already knew where we were heading, so I didn't have to ask.

"Sorry," she mumbled before letting go of me.

We walked over knocked over shelves and items before getting to the part of the store we needed. Most of the shelves here weren't empty except for most of the medicine.

"Get what you need, and I will grab whatever medicine I can find," I told her. She told me to be safe before walking off.

I began searching the shelves to see what medicine there was left. Most of it wasn't really helpful. I did find some aspirin and cough syrup. I searched the shelf behind me which had a bottle of peroxide and a few boxes of band-aids. I had to shove the items into my jeans pockets and hoodie pocket.

A noise behind me startled me, but when I went to look, nothing was there. I tiptoed around the shelf to see a walker struggling to keep standing. Its head snapped towards me and it began groaning.

"Oh, shit!" I muttered, seeing two more walkers behind it.

I did the first thing I could think of and pushed the shelf over, trapping the three walkers. I knew the noise I just made was now attracting more walkers towards me, that is if more were in the store. I began running down the wide aisle in search of Maggie. She had to have heard the loud noise, and we both needed to get out. I began calling out to her when I didn't see her anywhere. I cursed again when a small herd of walkers began coming out from up ahead. I began running back the way I came. Maggie came out of one of the aisles with her hands full. Her eyes went wide as she glanced behind me, cursing under her breath.

"Run! I'll cover you," I told her as I took my gun out, switching the safety off.

I let her get ahead of me some as I turned around to keep my eyes on the walkers coming towards us. I turned back around and began running since they were still far enough way to not get me. I ran past the knocked over shelf, hearing the moans from the three walkers. I kept running until I tripped over something, falling flat on my face. I let out a groan as pain shot through my body. I got back up, took a glance behind me, and turned around just in time to walk into a display stand in the middle of the aisle.

"Aw, fuck!" I muttered, rubbing everywhere where the pain was.

I didn't turn around this time as I began to run again, watching where I was going this time instead of the walkers behind me. Maggie was no longer in front of me, but I knew she was most likely out of the store already. I turned the corner to see more walkers coming down this aisle. I quickly got out of that aisle and kept running the way I had been going. My eyes stayed on everything in front of me until I heard yelling from an aisle nearby. I glanced down it to see Glenn, Rick, and Daryl killing off walkers around them. Glenn noticed me and asked where Maggie was. I shrugged and instantly felt bad. I had no idea where she was, but I thought she had been safe outside with the guys. Guess not. Glenn rushed passed me, leaving Daryl and Rick to fend for themselves.

"C'mon, let's go!" I shouted at them, as I turned away to see the walkers catching up to me.

Rick and Daryl both came running towards me as I shot any walkers close enough to them. The three of us began running towards the doors to get out of this place. Walkers were coming out of almost every aisle. I knew that every walker in the building was aware of us now, and it was most likely my fault for causing it. We had to stop and turn multiple times in order to avoid the walkers. It was like a maze to find a safe way out. What should have been simple way out was turning into something dangerous quickly. We were soon trapped in an aisle with walkers coming from both directions. I began to wonder if Maggie and Glenn managed to get out safely, because we weren't.

Daryl began climbing to the top of the shelf. Rick covered me as I climbed up also. Daryl and I covered him as he climbed up. We began walking along the tops of the shelves, which became wobbly. Rick had to help me as walkers grabbed for our feet, most couldn't reach the top of the shelves though. We soon jumped down and shoved that shelf over onto the walkers. We were once again running on the floor towards the doors that led out of here. This time we were able to get out. As soon as we made it outside into the cool air, we leaned against the wall to catch our breath, but only for a few seconds.

We got back to the car and I emptied out my pockets into the passenger seat. Daryl was on his motorcycle, ready to go, while Rick glanced around.

"Where's Maggie and Glenn?" Rick asked me.

"I dunno," I said quietly, afraid of being yelled at for fucking up and losing them both. "I was behind Maggie until I fell...then ran into somethin'. Glenn went looking for her after not seeing her with me."

"They're inside still?" Daryl groaned, knowing that him or Rick would end up going inside to find them.

"Well, they aren't out here," I snapped, getting a glare from Daryl.

"Well, maybe if ya weren't so goddamn clumsy..." Daryl shook his head before looking away from me.

Rick volunteered to go back inside with Daryl following him. I tried to follow as well, but got yelled at by both of them. I stayed by the car, muttering under my breath about how it wasn't fair.

"I fucked up again," I groaned to myself before hitting my head against the car a little too hard. I groaned again, but this time because of the pain. "Since I keep fucking up and not very helpful, I shall leave," I muttered to myself before walking away from the car.

I knew it was a stupid thing to do, but I knew my way back towards the house. They would catch up to me before I got there anyway. They were the ones who left me outside by myself, and anything could happen to me. I hoped it worried them that I was no longer there. I then realized that they would probably think I went back inside, so I let out a groan. I didn't want them to go back inside to search for me when I wasn't there. I didn't want them to risk their lives once again because I was in a bitchy mood.

I had gotten to the end of the parking lot, so I just climbed on top of one of the cars and faced the front of the store. They probably wouldn't see me, but at least I could see them when they came out. I didn't worry about anything happening to them since I knew they had each other's backs.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to go ahead and give you guys 2 more chapters since I really want to keep writing. So, this is update 2 of 4.