Sequel: Second Chance
Status: Completed.

I'm with You

Road

For once, I was actually glad that it was cool out. The coolness felt great against my hot, sweaty skin. It was keeping me awake and going, even though my legs ached and felt like they would give up at any moment. How long I had been walking now was unclear to me. Still no road, just trees, trees, and more fucking trees. Sometimes I felt like I passed the same tree fifty times now, but knew I hadn't since my footprints weren't in the mud.

I groaned as I slid down against a huge oak tree, the one that feels like the tree I keep passing. My legs were stretched out in front of me as I tried to let them rest for a bit. Why did I run into the woods? Why didn't I take my chances and run towards the car? Stupid me. All I had was a gun with no bullets, Carl's knife, my broken necklace, and the clothes I was wearing. I skipped breakfast this morning, and was now regretting it as my stomach growled, being a constant reminder of how stupid I was and how hungry I am.

I got back up and began walking again. The road had to be somewhere around here, it just had to. That was the only thing that was keeping me moving. Finding the road meant finding the group, the group that I now considered as my family even though we've had our disagreements. The group that I was willing to risk my life for just to save one of them. Look what you got yourself into, Liz. Way to go!

I shook the thoughts out of my head, searching for the road. Wouldn't be long until the sun went down, making it dark out. I didn't want to be alone in the dark, it frightened me anymore. Never knew what could be lurking in the dark until the apocalypse. Just need to get back to my group, my family. Just wanted to be back with them and sleep knowing that I was safe.

My eyes fell to the ground, watching every step that was being took since nothing was lurking around ahead of me. Muddy ground. Muddy ground. Where the hell is the road? Muddy ground. Fuck my life. Big rock. Mud. Mud. Oh shit, a log. Step over it Liz without falling like an idiot. More ground. Pavement. Paveme...wait. My eyes glanced up and I spun around. Holy shit I found the road! I fell to my knees as I grinned. I then realized that I'd be really happy when I found the group. Probably would hug each of 'em and tell them I love 'em, that's actually a little too weird. Calm down, Liz. You'll find them soon enough.

My body began jogging down the highway. They had to come down this road sometime, or be pulled over somewhere along it. They were most likely already looking for me, since they seemed to care so much. Wait...what if they didn't come down this road... No, they had to. I remember seeing Daryl turn left, I ran left across the yard, meaning we all went the same way. But what if they...dammit mind! Shut up!

My legs began to tire again so I began walking slowly. I felt that I could collapse at any moment, so running or jogging really wasn't the best option. Having food in my system probably would be, but I was on a road in the middle of fucking nowhere. Hopefully I can find the group before nighttime...or before I pass out, whichever comes first. Never realized until now that I really depend on them. Guess that's what happens when you join a group.

Hours passed and not a single car has came. Not once did I even stop to take a break even though my body was ready to give up on me. The sun was beginning to set and I was forced to make another decision; do I keep looking or find somewhere safe to stay, like in a tree? No walkers have been seen since the woods right around the house, but it wasn't safe to be outside in dark with those things around. They showed up without warning usually. Climbing a tree would be difficult in my current wore out state, but it was possible. Sleeping in the tree, on the other hand, did not seem very safe. Falling out of it in the middle of the night was my luck anymore. Would probably wake up to walkers eating me, some stranger's house, broken bones and not able to move, or just never at all. Then I'd turn into a walker, which was still not on my list of things to do.

Another hour of walking and my mind was made up. Tonight I was sleeping in a tree, and hopefully in the morning I will be able to continue my search for the group. Now I just had to find a tree with low enough branches for me to reach, and possibly branches close together making it easy to climb. This tree also had to be close to the road in case any vehicles come by. Don't wanna miss anyone driving by, even though I'm sure Daryl's motorcycle would wake me up if they went by.

It took me another half hour just to find the 'perfect' tree. I began climbing the tree with my sore body. Ten limbs up seemed high enough for me. Walkers couldn't reach me, and if I fell I would most likely survive the fall without having broken bones. Now came the fun part of getting comfortable. It's been so long since I last slept in a tree, that's why I'm afraid of falling out. I sat with my legs on either side of the huge branch. My back was leaning against the rough bark. After making sure my knife and gun were in my pocket, I closed my eyes letting sleep consume me.
♠ ♠ ♠
here's update 4 of 4. comments? only 10 chapters left then I will begin the sequel :)