Sequel: Welcome to Paradise

You're Already the Voice Inside My Head

You Make Me Stronger

The next morning it’s not Green Day I wake up to, but a humming in my head.
I’m trying to sleep.
“You’ll be late” says the sing-song voice in my head.
Do I sound like I care?
“Alex get up!”
You’re worse than my mum I think as I pull myself out of bed. I shower, dress in a Blink shirt and head to school with a mug of coffee in hand.
You’re lucky you are where ever you are because it’ bloody freezing out here. I wrap my fingers around my mug to try and keep some warmth in them.
“At lest you know where you are”
Yeah, on my way to hell.
“I don’t remember school, is it really that bad?”
It is when you get bullied.
“You get bullied ‘Lex?”
‘Lex? I get a nickname now?
“Haha if I have one then I thought you needed one too”
I like it, Blink boy.
For once I’m not late so as I walk through the walls it’s crowded with other students. I keep my head down as I walk, I don’t want to draw attention to myself. I get to my locker without anyone giving me a second glance, I let a breath I didn’t realise I was holding.
“Are you alright Alex? You seem really tense” The boy inside my head asks softly.
Yeah, yeah I’m alright. I carry on taking deep breaths, but I still feel like Graeme is going to come up behind me.
I do actually make it to class without having a panic attack; I go straight to my seat at the back of the room without looking up. I didn’t want to even look at Graeme; I didn’t want any reason for him to attack me again.
I’ve always sucked at maths, today was no exception. All the numbers are just going around in my head.
“The answer is 172” My voice says
How do you know that?
“No idea, I just know its 172”
Thanks, can you help me with the rest of them? I think, staring down at the sheet of math problems in front of me.
“Alex that’s so cheating!”
Yes the voice inside my head is helping me cheat at maths; so many people are going to believe that.
“Alright, alright, hmm I think the next one is 248”
Thanks.
“Aw is the little Fag talking to his little made up friends again?” I look up to see Graeme staring at me from the row in front.
“Fuck off” I mutter.
“Back in reality now are we?”
“Leave me alone” I hiss.
“358” Says the voice inside my head, I don’t replay but write down the number anyway. My Blink boy continued to list off numbers in my head but I still didn’t answer.
As the bell sings I grab me bag and pretty much run out of the class, trying to get out before Graeme could get hold of me. I get half way down the corridor when I feel someone grab me by the back of my hoodie.
“Ahh” I cry out as I slam backwards into some lockers. He lets me go and I slid to the floor.
“Watch where you’re going Faggot” he hisses, kicking me in the gut.
“What did I ever do to you?” I ask through gritted teeth. He bends down as he’s at my level, his lips so close to my face I can feel his hot breath.
“No one likes a Faggot” he spits before giving me one last punch in the gut and walking away. It takes me nearly five minutes to get up, pain stabbing my abdomen every time I move. I walk into the bathroom, I lean heavily on the sink waiting for some of the pain to pass.
“Alex?”
Hey. Oh god even in my head my voice sounds pained.
“What’s wrong? You sound really faint”
I hmm got a little beat up.
“Oh my god, are you in pain?”
Yeah.
“Where are you?”
School bathroom.
“Why don’t you go to a nurse?”
Can’t, they’ll call my parents and I don’t want them to get involved. They’ll only worry”
“Just get out of there”
Blink boy, are you saying I should skip school with you?
“Well you can’t really go without me...” I laugh but I end up coughing instead, which makes me double over in pain.
Oh my god.
“You okay?”
Yeah, yeah just in pain.
“The quicker you get out of there the better”
I’m going, I’m going. It takes me the best part of twenty minutes to get of the school gates, every step is painful now and I almost collapse. I make it to the small wood by the school, sinking to the floor next to a tree, my legs stretching out in front of me with my arm wrapping around my abdomen.
“’Lex, can I ask you a question?”
Fire away.
“Why do you get bullied so badly?” Damn I was afraid he was going to ask that...
Promise you won’t hate me?
“Yes ‘Lex, I promise”
I’m... umm... Gay.
“You’re bullied for that? That’s horrible!”
Y...You don’t hate me?
“Of course not! It’s horrible that people treat you like that”
Th...Thank you. We sit there in silence for awhile, my head leaning back against the tree as the pain starts to ease slightly.
Blink boy, can I ask you a question?
“Sure”
I need to find what happened to you right? Well I really need to know more about you, is there anything else you remember?
“I remember Blink, I can remember being in a room where their music was playing and it was the happiest I’ve ever felt”
You where at a Blink concert?
“Must have been...”
Do you remember anything about where you were?
“I think it began with R...R....Ra....Ram”
Rams Head Live?
“Yes! Yes that’s it!”
Blinky boy that’s in Baltimore!
“Where’s Baltimore?”
It’s a city in Maryland, America. It’s where I live.
“I come from the same place you do?”
It does... cough, cough, err sorry. Yeah it does look it like doesn’t it?
“Alex, are you okay?
I’m feeling a bit light headed.
“Are you at home Alex?”
No, I’m sitting under a tree.
“Go home Alex, you need rest”
You really do sound like my mum.
“I think.... I think my family had something to do with medical stuff”
Good, the more you remember the better. I grit my teeth as I stand up.
“Ahhh” I cry out in pain again.
“Alex!” The boy’s voice bounces inside my head, it sounds so loud that I want to cover my ears but I know it won’t help.
Wait... You heard that?
“Yeah, it was really loud and you were in pain” His voice softer again.
But...But I said that out loud.
“How is that possible? How did I hear you?
How is any of this possible? But I don’t know it’s like our connection’s getting stronger.