She Didn't Know

I Never Told Her

He knew she would come back, she always does, but this time it felt different. Maybe it was the tears running down her cheeks. But for a split second he wasn't sure if she would come back. For a single moment in time he thought that maybe just maybe he'd messed up too badly. He knew he should have called her back,should have apologized but she always comes back. Always.

So with a sigh he sat back against the couch and brought his beer to his lips, grimacing at the taste of the too warm liquid. He sat the bottle aside and reached for the remote, flicking through the channels looking for something that could keep him entertained for more than a few minutes. But before he found something decent he heard the sound of squealing breaks and screams coming from the street below.

Normally he wouldn't have cared but something was telling him, urging him, to go outside. He ran out the door, leaving it wide open, and down the stairs. When be finally reached the street he could practically smell the blood mixed with the rainy night air. He saw her coat, that's how he knew it was her. He ran to her body and pulled her to his chest his eyes filling with tears for the first time in years. He rocked back and forth begging her to be okay.

Bystanders were looking at him in shock. Especially the ones that knew him. That knew how he was. And their hearts broke for him. He held her until the authorities arrived and even then he had to be practically pulled away from her. An officer held him up as he watched the paramedics do their business...and zip her broken body away. His tears wouldn't stop, he was almost hysterical and no one blamed him.

"I never told her." He whispered in a rough voice.

"Told her what?"

"That I love her more than anything in the world. She didn't know. She left because I couldn't say it. Because I wouldn't say it."

"I'm sure she knew."

"She didn't. Trust me."

"Let's go. I'll drive you to her"
♠ ♠ ♠
I've had massive writer's block and this and "Valentine" were the first things I've written in months. Feedback would be much appreciated, I'm trying to work out the rust