Status: On-going

I Want You Back

Chapter 21: Wake up

“Is mommy still sleeping?” Junior asked as we sat around the breakfast table.

My mother gasped at his question but remained calm as i just nodded my head.

“Can I go see her?” I shook my head no and he huffed in annoyance.

“But I want to see mommy, why can’t I see mommy? I wanna see mommy” he yelled as I bang my fist on the table in annoyance.

“I said no Junior now go upstairs and get dressed. You’ll be late for day-care” I demanded as his eyes looked back at me in horror. I could see the tears begin to form in them but I made no move to comfort him as I dismissed him upstairs.

My mother waited until he was out of earshot before speaking.

“Why did you yell at him for? It’s not his fault that this happened”

“I know mum. Its just I’m under a lot of stress and I don’t need Junior acting out on me. It hard enough not knowing if Marley is going to wake up without him asking me questions about her” I explained as she looked confused.

“Everything is going to be fine so there is no need to panic” she attempted to reassure me but I shook my head no.

“I can’t guarantee that” I whispered as she encouraged me to explain.

I let out a sigh as I prepared to tell her.

“It’s my fault that she’s in the hospital…”

“Don’t say that…”

“No mum it’s true. We were arguing about something and she ran out because I wouldn’t listen to her and as she was running out into the street a car came out of nowhere and hit her. But even as I watched her get knocked down I still didn’t do anything. I ran back into the house and waited at least an hour before calling an ambulance” tears were falling down my face as I told my mother the story. While her face looked on in pure anger as I retold the story.

“So you left her there to die?”

“No mom its not like that…” I began explain but my mother was not hearing me.

“You waited an hour to call the police. While you were deciding whether you wanted her to live? What kind of sick person are you?” she spat with her voice rising at every word.

“No mom it wasn’t…

“I don’t want to hear it Cristiano” she snapped as she began packing her bag.

“Where are you going?” I cried as I began to panic.

“I’m taking Junior to school then I’m going to hang out with my friends for the rest of the day. Once junior is done I’m taking him to see his mother” she announced before walking out the kitchen.

I heard her loud footsteps as she spoke to Junior and a few minutes after that I listened to them leave.

I felt my tears begin to fall down my cheeks as I realised I had finally broken down about what had happened.

***

“Can I see her?” I listened to Carles as he hounded yet another nurse that left Marley’s room.

“Sir please calm down” the nurse asked nicely before disappearing back into her room.

“Why are they not letting me see her? Do you think something is wrong Cesc?” he questioned as he came to sit down next to me.

“Carles I’m sure she’s fine just calm down” I reassured him as I sent Nabeelah one final text.

Over the few weeks that Marley had been in hospital, things between her and me had begun to deteriorate. So we both made the decision to end things. Now all I needed was for Marley to wake up so I could tell her how I feel.

“Uhm where is Mr…” Marley’s doctor began as he stood out in the hallway where her family was holding a vigil for her.

“He is probably looking for me” Carles smiled as he stood up.

“No not you. I’m looking for Mr Ronaldo. Marley wants to see him” he explained as all our jaws dropped. In a waiting area with her parents, her brother, son, Cristiano’s mom and me, she wanted to see HIM?!

“He is not…”

“I’m here” Cristiano announced as he strode in and stood next to the Doctor.

“Cristiano what are you doing here?” his mother spat as she stood up and walked up to him.

“I’m here to see my fiancé, so if you’ll excuse me” he smiled smugly before walking into Marley’s hospital room.

***

Bad images kept running through my head as I thought about what Marley could want from me now that she had woken up.

The first being her announcing that she was going to go to the cops, to tell them about how I did nothing while she lay dying.

Maybe she would run to the media and tell them about how I had been having multiple affairs behind her back.

“Cristiano” Marley croaked out as I held in a breath.

“Yes I’m here” I smiled as I walked up to her.

She looked me in the eyes as tears began to form in them.

“I’m so sorry” I began to explain as my own tears began to form in my own eyes.

She shook her head no as she held onto my face and pulled me in for a kiss.

I stayed frozen as he tongue played with mine but once she pulled me in further I relaxed as he kissed her deeper.

“I missed you so much” she breathed as we pulled apart.

“I missed you too” I repeated but my mind couldn’t help but think why she was so calm about the situation.

“Marley baby what’s the date today?” I smiled at her as I realised that she may not be all there.

“September 2010 duh” she laughed as she pulled me in for another kiss.

My heart skipped a beat as I realised that she didn’t remember the last 2 years of her life.

Maybe her lack of memory would allow me to make right the wrongs I had put her through.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...