Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 12: The truth about me

Sergio’s POV

I watched amused as Reyna flipped through a photo album. She had been very quiet today and had even closed the bakery down so she could take some time out. She hadn’t really said much about what she needed time out for.
“Baby… you busy?” I said disrupting her album flipping.
She shook her head as she looked back at her album.
I observed her for a moment before walking towards her to see what she was looking at.
“She’s very pretty”
I commented as I watched a young woman in uniform smile at a guy.
“Yeah she was”
Reyna added without really saying anything else.
I gently removed the book from her grasp before sitting on the table forcing her to look at me.
“Reyna is there something you aren’t telling me?”
She nodded as a tar fell down her cheek.
“Today is the anniversary of my parent’s death. It’s been ten years since they passed” she admitted before breaking down and crying her eyes out.
I held her as she cried and soothe her in an attempt to get her to calm down.
Once she was relatively calm I lead her to the coach so we could talk.
“Is that why you never talk about them?” she nodded.
“They passed when I was 13. Were on our way home from my brother’s school performance” she began to explain in between sobs. “My dad was driving s carefully. He always did that when we were in the car with him. He got to the robots and waited it to turn green. When it did he checked both ways just to make extra sure that it was safe for him to drive. He honestly moved a few centimetres before a car came out of nowhere and smashed into us. The car rolled for a while and when it eventually stopped I realised my brother had been tossed from the car”
“I drifted in and out of consciousness during the whole things. I only regained full consciousness two days after the accident. By then both my parents and my brother had passed”
She cried again as I held on close.
“Reyna I’m so sorry. You don’t deserve this” I soothed her as she continued to cry.
As I rubbed on her back she pulled back and looked at me.
“Sergio if I’m a little distance and cold at times I do apologise. It’s just that I’m scared to put myself out there because I’m scared of losing those that I love. And I love you” she admitted as she gave me a kiss.
“I love you too Reyna and I promise to never leave you” I assured her before cupping her face and giving her a kiss.
[to be continued…]