Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 13: Making decisions

3 months later

I held in a groan as I watched Reyna get dress for work.

Dammit how did I get so lucky to get such an amazing girl when I was such a bad guy?!

It had been 4 months since I had arrived in Badajoz and everything was going well. My injuries were healing just fine. In fact the cast had been removed from my knee and the only thing that was left was for the doctor to give me a clean bill of health that I could one day possibly get back to playing. Not that I was holding my breath on that front. Madrid had yet to contact me to see how I was, not that I blame them. I had run away and not spoken to anyone since so what expectations did I have for them to keep in contact with me?

“Babe I’m leaving now. Are you sure you’ll be fine all by yourself?”

Reyna said as she turned to look at me. She was wearing a pink dress that seemed to highlight her ample cleavage. And despite spending most the night last night in the throes of love making I still wanted more of her.

“Do you have to go?”

I pleaded as I began to feel myself get hard. She just laughed at me before leaning down and giving me a kiss on the cheeks.

“Yes I do. And good luck with that”

She teased in reference to my boner. I groaned as I watched her walk away.

This girl had no idea what she does to me.

I laid in bed for a few more minutes before heading to the shower and dealing with my problem.

Once I was done I cleaned up a little before sitting on the couch and thinking.

Reyna had fired me from the bakery because she knew that wasn’t what I wanted and encouraged me to join the local athletic club which assisted in teaching the little kids football skills. I was enjoying it but it also made me long for my career.

As much as this break had been ideal lately all I could think about was how much I miss the adrenaline on match day and the roar of the crowd at the Bernabau.

As I sat on the coach I thought back to how right Carlo Ancelotti was. I didn’t appreciate what I had until it was gone and now here I am sitting and reminiscing on what could have been.

*Ding dong*

The doorbell woke me from my day dream as I slowly made my way to answer it.

“Hey man you ready to go?” Roger one of the coaches at the athletic club asked as he stood at the door.

I nodded before allowing him in as I went to collect my things and head out. The drive to the park was quick and once we got there I realised how the big the group of kids we were coaching had gotten since my first day here.

Right now you could count at least 100 kids who had shown up to be taught some football skills. As I walked to the field one of my favourite youngsters came running to me.

“I hope you ready to watch me win today” Dennis bragged as I changed boots.

“Oh really? Have you finally figured out how to score?”

He nodded emphatically.

“My dad stayed up with me and helped me practice”

He bragged as a smile grew on my face. It was however strained as I thought back to how my dad used to stay up and help me practice.

“I really look forward to seeing you score then. Why don’t you go warm up with the rest of the boys before the game starts?” Dennis nodded before running off to meet up with the rest of the team.

I sat down for a few minutes to watch their interactions and with a contemplative look on my face.

This is what I want.

On the field is where I want to be.

“Hello…. Sergio the game is about to start” roger called.

I looked back at him as he looked at me confused.

“Everything ok man?”

I nodded my head before standing up and with a purpose for what I was about to do.

“Yeah everything is good. I’ve just decided that I’m ready to get my career back on track. I’m gonna do everything I can to get back playing again” I announced before walking to the field in preparation for what would be my last game as a coach.

***

“Babe you home?” I called as I walked into the house.

When I was greeted by silence I knew what my answer was.

I walked to the laundry room as I put my clothes down and took out my phone, debating for a moment whether or not I should make this call before taking a deep breath and relenting.

I walked to the living room and sat down before dialling the numbers of a woman I hadn’t spoken to in a while.

The phone rang for a quite a while before she answered.

“Hello who is this?” she questioned once she had picked up the phone.

“It’s Sergio” I announced as she took a deep breath, obviously shocked that I had called her. “I miss you”

Those were the only words uttered before we both broke down and sobbed.
♠ ♠ ♠
[to be continued…]