Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 15.1: Going back to Madrid

I sighed as we stood at Barajas airport waiting for our bags to arrive. Following Sergio getting the all clear from the doctor, he received news that he should come back to Madrid because he had an interview with his former club. I’m not gonna lie I was a little nervous about leaving everything behind and leaving with him, but knowing that I could possibly lose the best thing that could have ever happened to me I knew what I had to do.

Therefore, I quickly called up the bank and told them I was looking to cash in on the bakery. They were a little surprised at my decision but reluctantly accepted what I wanted as they help me sell it off.

“Babe he’s here” Sergio interrupted as he took hold of our luggage and pointed at a pale man who was making his way towards us.

“Uhm Sergio who is that?”

I tried to ask but was interrupted when the two men gave each other a hug.

“Mi amigo I missed you so much” the man said as he looked Sergio up and down.

Once he was done inspecting his friend he turned to me and gave me a warm smile.

“Well I can see why Sergio wasn’t in a rush to come back” he smirked before stretching out his hand “Iker Casillas”

“Reyna Gonzalez” I said as I shook his hand.

Iker smiled at me before taking our bags and walking with Sergio.

I followed nervously behind them as we made our way to the car.

“Sara can’t wait to see you. Man you’ve been gone so long. So many things have happened. Gonzo left the club, so did Mesut. Sara and I are expecting a baby. Ooh and Lena she married some rich old man. I told you that girl was a gold-digger. I’m just glad you got out before it was too late” Iker rambled as we reached the car.

I watched as Sergio scratched his neck nervously at the last part.

I guess his friends still didn’t know what happened to his money. They probably think he left town and has been living it up with me ever since he got fired.

As I watched the two men interact on the drive to Iker’s house, I couldn’t help but feel nervous about this move.

Here I was, a girl with no home, just blindly following a man who obviously had a life here. What if this place didn’t hold on the things I wanted it to for us? What if me moving to Madrid with Sergio only pulled us apart? Also what if him getting back to football meant going back to the man he used to be?

I shook my head as these questions ran through my mind.

No Reyna, he wouldn’t do that. Sergio loves you and its time you let your guard down long enough to be believe that he would never hurt you.

***

Sergio’s POV

I watched Reyna pretended to find Marcelo’s jokes funny as we sat down and ate dinner. I had noticed that since we landed, she had been oddly quiet but because half the team was here for my welcome back dinner, I couldn’t ask her about it. So I kept quiet and observed her mannerism throughout the night.

“I never thought I’d see the day” a voice sang as they sat next to me.

I rolled my eyes as Álvaro took a sip of his beer.

“You never thought you see the day what?”

I asked even thought I knew whatever he would say would be stupid.

“The day Sergio Ramos fell in love”

He commented and I nearly spat out my drink.

“I’ve been in love before. So I have no idea what you’re talking about”

I answered before keeping my eye on Reyna, who was currently trying to avoid the flirtations antics of Cristiano. I tightened my grip in the bottle of beer I held as I watched him kiss her hand.

“Oh calm down Romeo. You know how Ronaldo is. He’s all bark and no bite. He won’t try anything with her and anyway Pepe is in charge of making sure newly single Ronnie doesn’t do anything or anyone that he might regret”

Alvaro assured me and I nodded. I knew my reaction was stupid but considering Reyna and I had yet to speak since we landed, I was feeling a little insecure.

“So where did you two meet?”

Alvaro asked in an attempt to distract me from the striker who was attempting to refill my girlfriends drink.

“She took me in when I had nothing and offered me a job. Things just sort of developed from there”

I shrugged as Álvaro nodded. He digested what I said before turning back to me.

“What do you mean you had nothing? You are Sergio freaking Ramos, multi-millionaire and stud muffin” he joked as I shook my head no.

“That’s who I used to be Varo. When I left Madrid, I had nothing to my name. I got cleaned out by a fake investment banker. Lena sold the house so I had nowhere to live and my parents weren’t speaking to me so I ran”

I finally admitted as he looked back in shock.

“Why didn’t you tell us this before you left? We could have helped. Sergio we’re your friends we would have done anything for you”

I just shook my head no at his confession.

“I was too proud to ask and in hindsight I’m glad I didn’t. Maybe I needed to leave this place to figure myself out again” I admitted as he looked on shocked at my confession.

“Does this new you have anything to do with the blonde over there?”

I turned to look at Reyna who had managed to escape Cristiano before turning back to Álvaro.

“I don’t there would be a new me right now if it wasn’t for her” I admitted before standing from the couch and walking towards the bedrooms to look for Reyna.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued