Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 16: This is my family

I listened as Reyna took deep breathes. I knew she was trying to calm her nerves so I held in the laugh that was threatening to come out.

We were currently in the car making our way to my parents’ house. With us being in Madrid for over two weeks now, I felt that the time had come for my family and I to reconcile. But more importantly for Reyna to meet and like them. I just hoped that everyone would be welcoming towards me after everything I did.

I sighed as I parked the car and looked at the door to the home I grew up in, even though I had paid for the house to be extended many of the elements that made it home where still there. From the tree house, that René and I built with my dad to the shed that my dad had transformed to act as Miriam’s playhouse.

All the good things that happened to me when I was still a kid where all locked in this house.

“We could stay out here a little longer if your too nervous about going inside” Reyna whispered as she brought me out of my memories.

I shook my head no before giving her a kiss and stepping out of the car.

I walked over to her side as I took her hand and led her out of the car. We walked silently towards the door as all the memories of my childhood kept rushing back to me.

I took a deep breath before knocking on the door and waiting for a reply.

“It’ll be fine”

Reyna assured me as she squeezed my hand in support. I nodded as I turned to look at her and in that moment the door swung open and out she came.

I watched as her eyes watered before she launched forward to give me a hug.

“Oh I’ve missed you”

My mother cried as she continued to squeeze the life out of me.

When I managed to pry myself from her grip, I pulled back and looked at Reyna.

“Mama this is the girl I’ve been telling you about. Reyna this is my mom. Mama this is Reyna”

I smiled as I waited for one of them to react.

My mother eyed Reyna up and down before taking a breath.

For a second I thought she’d say something bad so opened my mouth to defend my girlfriend but I didn’t have to as my mother held on to Reyna shoulders to give her a hug.

When they pulled apart, she said the four words I had wanted her to utter.

“Welcome to the family”

***

I had been taken aback by the warm welcome that Pacqui had given me as we walked into her house. I had expected her to be cold and judgmental but it turned out she was the exact opposite, as she did everything in her power to make sure I was comfortable.

Even though I was surprised that she knew about Sergio and I, I knew that was an issue I’d have to take up with him later on.

“So Reyna Sergio says you’re a baker. How is that going?” she asked as we sat in the living room. We sat in there with Sergio’s siblings, along with his dad. Even though the three of them had yet to speak to Sergio, they were more than happy to speak to me.

“Uhm it was going pretty well but I had to sell the bakery so we could move here” I explained as pity flashed through his mother’s eyes. “No its fine” I quickly explained. “I can always start a business here uhm sure city people love pastries as much as country people” I explained as she nodded sadly.

I noticed how his parents and siblings exchanged glances as my explanations. His dad was the first to speak following that.

“You made the poor girl give up her dream so she could follow yours?”

He snapped at Sergio.

Sergio opened his mouth to speak but his dad just continued yelling.

“I didn’t raise you to be this selfish Sergio. Why do you only care about yourself? Why can’t you put anyone’s feelings above your own?”

I watched as Sergio’s jaw clenched and I knew that he was holding in the urge to yell back, so I did something that even surprised me.

“Uhm excuse me Mr. Ramos but Sergio didn’t make me do anything” I squeaked as he looked at me.

“Excuse me young lady?”

He said as he sat back and waited for my explanation. Sergio and his mother looked at me and silently begged that I stop talking but I just couldn’t. So I cleared my throat as I explained to him.

“Yes your son has done many selfish things in the past, things that he has paid dearly for, things that he has worked hard to fix. But the Sergio you are talking about isn’t the same Sergio that’s sitting in front of you today. He’s changed and the decision to sell my shop and move here was entirely my own. I want to be here for him and that’s why I sold the shop”

He’s father looked on in surprise at my explanation. A reaction that was mirrored by the rest of the Ramos family.

“He told you all the things he has done?” he dad questioned as if unsure of my answer.

“Yes”

“About Lena?” he began listing as if still testing my honesty.

“Yes sir”

“About how he treated us?”

“Unfortunately yes”

“And his money problems?”

“Yes he’s told me about that to sir”

Sergio’s father scratched his neck as if he was figuring out what I had just said.

“Then excuse me Reyna, this might sound forward but, you know Sergio has no money. Was the victim of a gold-digging girlfriend and treated his family like rubbish for a while. Why would you want to be with him?”

“Because I love him” I answered simply as the rest of the family exchanged glances.

Sergio reached over and squeezed my hand as he smiled at my response.

“Dad I know I’ve done some bad things in the past. But I’ve changed and its all thanks to Reyna. She’s changed me and it’s a good sort of change. I like who I am now. And now that I’m happy with myself I want us to start over and be a real family. I’m not saying we can be fixed over night but I want us to try”

Sergio pleaded as his mom waited with baited breath.

Jose Ramos sat for a while contemplating what his son had just asked before speaking.

“I have one condition Sergio”

“Anything”

“Keep this young lady in your life because I have a feeling as long as she’s around things are gonna work out”

His dad smiled before walking up to me and giving me a hug.

“Welcome to the family Reyna. I have a feeling you are gonna be a great addition”

He laughed before leading me out into the garden where we would have lunch.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued....