Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 18: Welcome to your new life

“This is Versace. Top of the range. Not even the top models can get this dress” a stylist Sergio had hired to help me get dressed for tonight’s dinner, assured me as we went through the collection she had brought.

I just smiled as she continued to show me the rest of the clothes. I didn’t really know what she expected me to say. The clothes were hideous to say the least and non of them were to my taste. But because I knew Sergio would be making his first public appearance since his reintegration into the team, I would need to find an outfit and fast.

I zoned out as the stylist continued to speak but when I heard the door close shut I knew I would have to make a decision.

“I’ll take the red dress” I hastily answered as I heard Sergio’s approaching footsteps.

The stylists congratulated me on my choice before placing the accessories and shoes next to the dress and advising me on how to style it. I just nodded my head at her advice as Sergio walked into the room. All eyes turned to him but he only had eyes for me as he smiled and walked up to me and kissed me. With his action our guests finally decided to leave and left us alone.

“I take it the fitting went well” he commented as he looked at the ensemble that was laid out.

I gave a strained smiled as I nodded at his assessment.

“You are going to be the prettiest woman at the gala babe. I cant wait to show you off” he smiled before reconnecting our lips.

I don’t know what it was but I hated how Sergio seemed to regard me as an object when he made that statement.

***

“Reyna look this way” a photographer called as we stood on the red carpet.

I reluctantly did what I was asked as Sergio just looked on admiration. As much as I loved how he was looking at me I couldn’t hep but feel like he didn’t understand me at that money.

He knew how much I hated attention so why would he leave me in the middle of the carpet to deal with a bunch of strangers who wanted to take my picture?

“I think that’s enough for one night” I smiled at the paparazzi before walking back to Sergio.

“You looked amazing babe” he assured me as we walked into the venue.

I opened my mouth to tell him about my reservations about this whole thing but was disrupted by a pale woman walking up to us.

“Sergio you look so… good” she purred before giving him a kiss on the cheek.

I raised my eyebrows at her greeting but said nothing because I could sense Sergio was uncomfortable. He held on tightly to my hand as he introduced me to our guest.

“Reyna this is Pilar. Pilar met Reyna my girlfriend” he introduced with an emphasis on the girlfriend part.

Pilar raised her nose in the air at that comment before completely ignoring me and turning back to him.

“Well whatever. Whenever you are free you should come by the studio and do an interview I’m sure the viewers would love to hear all about how Sergio Ramos rebuilt his life and got back to being Spain’s best defender” she flirted while tossing some hair over her shoulder.

He just reacted by giving me a kiss on the cheek before answering.

“I’ll think about it. But whatever I do will have to involve Rey. She is after all behind the man that you see standing her before you” he said as he held my hand tighter.

Pilar’s nose flared at the admission before she made some excuse about needing to be somewhere before walking away from us.

“Ex-girlfriend” Sergio explained before I had even said anything.

I just nodded my head at his answer before letting myself be enveloped in his arms.

“Reyna I know all of this is overwhelming but I promise nothing will tear us apart. I don’t ever be without you. You are my better half and I want too to always know that” he reassured me as he held me tighter.

I realized into his hug as I let his words wash over me.

Of course he would always be there for me. I don’t know why I doubt the bond me and Sergio share, there is nothing will tear us apart.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued…