Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 22: Realisations

“This is Reyna… I can’t come to the phone at the moment but if you leave your name and num…”

I threw my phone across the room as I once again listened to her voicemail.

It had been 3 weeks since she had left and in that time I hadn’t heard from her. I don’t know what I had done wrong and the fact that she wasn’t answering my calls was barely helping the situation.

“Resorting to violence to deal with your sexual frustration?” Amelia purred as she walked into the living room in nothing but a t-shirt. I rolled my eyes at her attempt to seduce me before walking over and picking up my phone.

“Now that you and Benz have had your night of fun could you both leave?” I snapped at her for new reason.

She looked shocked at my response but she fired back.

“Hey don’t yell at me because your girlfriend has finally seen that you are a piece of shit. You may think you are in love with her Sergio but everyone knows that you haven’t changed. You are still the same womanising pig you were before”

I opened my mouth to say something but she continued.

“We were all hopeful that after you lost everything you would change but you are still making the same mistakes. You still hanging out with the same loser guys who are just there for the good times and you still treat the one who love you like shit”

“That’s not true”

“Oh really?” she mocked as she raised and eyebrow. “Then why is it on the night of real Madrid making it into the final of the Champions League, you are out celebrating with a bunch of strangers rather than you girlfriend?”

I opened and closed my mouth but gave up as Karim walked into the room.

“Is everything ok here?” he asked in that usual confused face of his.

“Yeah babe but I think we should leave. It looks like Sergio needs to be alone for a while” Amelia reasoned as she took Karim’s hand and asked him to help her look for her pants.

I stood on the same spot until she found them and heard them leave the house. Once I was sure I was alone, I finally broke down.

As much as I tried to convince myself, I knew Amelia was right. I had not changed and I was still the jerk I was when things turned bad but unlike the last time when I didn’t care about what happened. This time I knew that I wanted to make things right and I wanted to prove to Reyna that I was good enough for her.

***

“Well thank you so much for your help and I guess I’ll see you in a few weeks” I smiled nervously as I shook the gynaecologist hand walked out of her office.

Mirian immediately stood up from her chair as she saw me walk out and held my hand as we silently made our way to her car. Once we were safely on the road, she turned to look at me.

“So what happened?”

“Congratulations your about to be an aunt?” I smiled as tears began to fall. Mirian attempted to stop the car to comfort me but I shook my head no, as I told her to continue to drive while I cried.

I let the tears fall until I reached Sergio’s parents house and once we were in the driveway I attempted to calm myself down.

Mirian stayed with me until I was ready to walk in and tell his parents what had happened.

Jose Ramos was the first to jump when we walked through the door.

“So what did the doctor say? Is everything ok?” he kept on asking as he led me to the couch.

I gave a strained smile as I began to prepare myself to deliver the news to them.

“Well its good news because you two are about to become grandparents” I explained as tears began to fall down Pacqui’s cheeks. She smiled in happiness and she came to sit next to me and gave me a hug.

“Oh Reyna this is wonderful news” she beamed as she held my face. “You are going to make a fantastic mother”

Everyone agreed with her; as they went on to congratulate me on the news. However, I could tell the excitement was toned down because of the elephant in the room.

“So are you going to tell him?” Jose asked as Pacqui and Mirian went into the kitchen to make me food.

“I should shouldn’t I?” I asked quietly as he looked at me with concern.

“Reyna you don’t have to do anything you don’t want too. If you don’t want him to be part of this baby’s life we would all understand” he explained but I shook my head no.

“I would never do that to him Jose. No matter how much he has hurt me I wouldn’t wish him the same pain he has caused me. And anyway we never know, this baby make be the perfect chance for him to finally grow up and learn some responsibility” I smiled as he nodded his head.

“I hope so too Rey” he laughed as we made small talk.

“So do you think he’ll be interested in playing for Sevilla once he is born?” Mirian asked as we all sat around enjoying lunch.

The table fell quiet as the question hung in the air.

“Who says it’ll be a boy?” Pacqui chimed in as Jose rolled his eyes.

“It can be either but we both know once Sergio gets involved they will eventually learn how to play football” she shrugged as we all laughed.

As awkward as the situation was with Sergio, we all knew that once he found out he was about to be a father, he would be there for his child.

It was now up to me to find a time to tell him that I was expecting his child. If only I could find the right way to tell him the news?

“Mama, papa are you home?” a voice asked from the living room as we all exchanged panicked looks.

Pacqui and Jose didn’t have time to react before Sergio strode to the patio, where we were all sitting.

His jaw dropped as he saw me.

I guess there is no time like the present to tell him about the baby right?!
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...