Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 28: Because I’m Happy

“You know we don’t have to go to this. I’m sure my parents would understand if we told them we couldn’t manage driving all the way to Seville to celebrate with them” Sergio tried to reason but I shook my head no.

“It’s fine Sergio. The girls are three months old now and I’m sure they can handle a 3 hour journey. Anyway, I need different scenery, as much as I love the kids, feeding and burping them has kindda become boring” I explained as he shrugged.

“I know babe. Its just I don’t really want to share you three and I know when we get there every one will want to know how you’ve been and they’ll coo over the girls…”

“Are you jealous?” I interrupted before he could carry on.

“Ha…me… jealous? Never” he defended as he turned back to packing but without looking at me.

“Ok I believe you but I just want you to know that no matter how much people fuss over us, you are the only one we really love” I consoled him before walking out the room, to leave him to pack for the three-day visit to his parent’s house.

I could not stop the smile on my face as I walked into the kitchen to prepare us a meal for the road.

In the three months since the birth, Sergio and I had gone from strength to strength. He had managed to juggle being a successful footballer along with a great dad. As for our relationship, we had finally gone back to the comfort and happiness we found in the beginning of our relationship. I knew if we continued this way maybe we could one day end up like Pacqui and José; married for decades, with lots of kids.

I had to laugh at that comment – Sergio and I had yet to even discuss marriage but here I was getting carried away about the future.

No Reyna, just stay in the moment and deal with things as they come.

***

In Seville

“Reyna you look lovely as usual” Sergio creepy uncle Juandré flirted as he stood next to me.

We had arrived for the Ramos parents’ anniversary weekend and while Sergio was being Mr Socialite – I was stuck with the handsy uncle with a drinking problem.

“Thanks Juandre but I think…”

“I see you have found the perks of breastfeeding…” he suggested as he cupped his hands in front of his chest to discuss my expanded breasts.

“André I don’t think you should be…

“Oh don’t be shy Rey, a beautiful woman deserves to be celebrated” he smirked before moving closer to me as his hands reached out to trace my hand.

“Juandre that's enough” Sergio warned as he walked into the kitchen. “Your wife is looking for you” he said threateningly as he stood between his uncle and I.

Juandre didn’t seem to grasp the fact that Sergio was angry at him – especially seeing how he kept on tightening his fist – as collected his glass and stumbled out of the room.

“Are you ok? Did he hurt you?” Sergio turned quickly as he started to running hands over my shoulders. “I swear I’m going…”

“Baby I’m fine. You came in before he could do anything” I assured him as I gave him a light peck on the kiss

“You're my hero” I teased him as we pulled apart. He tugged on the waistband on my jeans as he pulled me closer.

“Oh yeah” he smirked. “And how are you going to reward me for that?” he smiled naughtily as I gave a half smile – pretending to think.

“I packed a nice little Victoria Secret piece maybe tonight we could…” I began but stopped as Mirian stopped at the doorway and cleared her throat.

“Mom and dad are starting their toasts. They want everyone in the living room” she explained as she waddled away back to the main area.

“She is really not taking this pregnancy well” Sergio commented as he took my hand and led me out of the room.

“Hey I know her pain. She is carrying a human being who is pressing on her bladder. It’s hard to be cheerful all the time when you’re going through that” I explained as he stopped and looked at me.

“Is that how it was for you?” he asked sympathetically as I nodded.

“I’m sorry that you had to get through that alone but I promise baby, I’ll always cherish you for giving me two beautiful girls and for the rest of my life, I’ll continue to show you how much I love you” he stated before giving me a breath-taking kiss.

“Fuck Sergio stop making out with her and get in here. We don’t have the whole day you know” Mirian yelled as we abruptly pulled apart.

Sergio and I shared a giggle before walking to the living room and taking a seat. He apologised on our behalf as he parents finally got to make their speech.

“Paqui didn’t want to say anything out of fear of getting emotional so I’ll be saying the speech on both our behalves, and I’ll make it short. When I met this woman 33 years ago, I knew from that minute that she would be mine forever. The 30 years we’ve been married have been the best. There have been downs but luckily for ups they’ve been plenty of ups. The best of course being the three kids that are currently sitting down here and having families of their own”

Sergio, Mirian and Rene all shared a look as they listened to their father’s words. The relationship between the three of them was something I admired. They were each other’s best friends and always there for each other; a part of me couldn’t help but be jealous that I was denied that opportunity, having lost my parents at such a young age.

“…and lastly Sergio” Jose began as I turned my attention back to him. “It took you are while but I'm so proud of the man that you have become. Of course, all of that work – as any man will tell you – is down to the love of a good woman. You have the best one in Reyna. I hope you cherish her like I do your mother” he instructed as Sergio nodded.

“Trust me dad I will” Sergio assured him as he turned to look at me “I plan on tie her down and making her mine for life” he smirked before giving me a kiss on the cheek.

I blushed at Sergio comment as everyone around us smiled.

I could not help but hope that his statement meant he wanted a future for us as a married couple just as much as I did.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued…