Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 6: You services are no longer required

“Owww”
“Oh Mr Ramos may I suggest you stay still” someone advised as they helped me sit up.
“Who are you and where am I?” I snapped as I took in my surroundings and more importantly my leg and arm that were currently in a plaster cast.
“We expected this. You are in hospital. You had a bad accident” she explained as I looked on in confused.
“I…I don’t remember ever being in an accident” I admitted as she nodded, as if I was confirming her suspicions.
“We know. In the state you came in we would be surprised of you remember anything” she began to explain as I raised an eyebrow in question. “You were found with traces of cocaine in your system” she admitted as I shook my head in disbelief.
“No. that’s not possible I’m a professional athlete I know the dangers of dealing in hard drugs and I would never put my body through that” I began explaining.
“That’s your version of events Sir but our tests prove otherwise” she announced, as if pitying me.
“No I swear I didn’t do any drugs” I began as I watched Carlo and a President Florentino Perez walk into my hospital room.
“That’s enough Sergio” Carlo announced as I attempted to explain what happened. “Miss could you excuse us?” he continued as he looked at the nurse.
She nodded her head before putting my chart down and quickly walking out the room and closing the door behind her.
“I can explain Flo. This is a big misunderstanding” I began explain as he and Carlo sat down.
Florentino said nothing as he pulled out sheets of paper from a pocket in his suit.
“We need you to sign this” he commanded as he handed the papers and a pen to me.
“What’s this?” I questioned as both men shared a look.
“It’s a termination of contract agreement” Florentino explained as my mouth hung open. “Don’t act surprised Sergio we’ve warned you many times to get your act together and you never listen. Now we have decided to cut our losses with you” he continued to explain.
“But…I…”
“But nothing Ramos. This is the end of your relationship with Real Madrid. We’ll pay for your hospital stay and will give you your severance package but once you are out of this place we don’t want you anywhere near the club” Carlo demanded.
“Fine have it your way I’ll just move to another club” I spat back in anger.
“I doubt that son. There’s a clause in that contract that forbids you from moving to another club for a year and considering that you are expected to be in a cast for 4 months, we are doing you a favour” he admitted as I realised they were halting my footballing career.
“What do you guys expect me to do for that year? It’s not like I have any other skills in anything else” I pleaded in the hope that they would change their minds.
“Well maybe the year off can teach you some practical skills. And Sergio don’t make this our problem, you are the one who put yourself in this position. Between the drinking, late nights, the bad investments and the drug use we couldn’t risk the clubs reputation being tainted” Florentino explained as the enormity of the situation I was in finally sunk in.
I watched both men for a few minutes before taking a deep breath and signing the papers. Once I was done I handed them back to Florentino and lay back on the bed. Both men stood up after this and headed to the door. Once there Carlo turned to me.
“You are a very talented footballer but now you have to learn how to be a man. Once you’ve figured that out maybe you can come back” he advised as I rolled my eyes and then watched him walk away.
Could things get any worse?
***
A few days later
“Honey I’m home” I called out to Lena as I hobbled into my oddly empty house.
I walked further into the house using my crutches as I waited for Lena to come down and greet me. As I waited I heard a few thuds as she walked down stairs.
“Hey babe…” I began but was disrupted when I noticed the bags she was carrying. “What’s going on?”
“I’m leaving you” she huffed as she continued to collect her belongings.
“You’re joking right?!” I laughed in response. “You are nothing without me” I snapped knowing that would make her stay.
“Considering you are currently unemployed and broke I would think I’m something without you” she snapped in response.
I took a deep breath as I was slightly hurt at what she said.
“Look babe I’m sorry. I know things are really crap right bow but stick with me and I swear things will get better” I pleaded as she shook her no.
“Sergio I’ve suffered too much to date yet another loser who is struggling to make something of themselves. I’m sorry but it’s over” she announced before she picked up some of her things.
I watched her put some of her bags on her shoulder before remembering the state of the house.
“Where’s my furniture? Don’t tell me you are leaving me in this unfurnished house?” I asked as I watched her laugh.
“Oh don’t worry honey you won’t be in this house for long. The bank is seizing it since they haven’t been getting any payments and as for your furniture. I sold all of it. I needed some money to start fresh and I thought why the hell not. It’s the least you could do considering what you put me through” he explained as I looked at her to explain. “Don’t play dumb Sergio. I know all about the other women. I just let it go because I was getting what I wanted in exchange and since you have nothing to offer me anymore I decided it’s better to cut my losses before I get dragged down too” she said in pity before walking to the door. “Good luck to the next woman that has to deal with your rubbish” she swore before walking out and leaving me to an empty house.
I stood on my crutched for a few minutes as I took in everything that happened to me over the past few months. I had lost my family, job, my money and now my girlfriend. What did I have left for me here? It’s not like I can turn to my family because I’ve hurt them too much for them to ever consider forgiving me.
So I did what was right, I dialled a cab and grabbed as many belongings as I could. Once the taxi arrived I instructed the driver to go to any city of his choosing. There was nothing left for me here in Madrid so I’m starting my life over somewhere else.