Status: Ongoing

Picking Up the Pieces

Chapter 8: Judgements and assumptions

Sergio’s POV
“You still haven’t swept the kitchen. Hurry up because we open in a few minutes” Reyna ordered before disappearing into the back.
I let out a frustrated sigh because the woman had been ordering me around since we got here which was an hour ago. I get the fact that I’m just an employee to her but can she honestly expect me to do all the things she wanted in the condition I was in?
I could barely walk even though I had gotten rid of my crutches and my arm was still a cast.
“SERGIO MOVE IT” she yelled from the back as I held in the urge to curse at her.
Rather I did as she said as I walked back into the kitchen and quickly cleaned up the floor.
“That wasn’t so hard now was it?” she mocked as she walked into the kitchen and set out the utensils she would need.
“Speak for yourself. I kept bumping into stuff” I admitted as I took a seat and watched her prepare for the arrival of customers. “Why are you so nervous? You did this everyday” I commented as I observed her going back and forth in the kitchen.
She shook her head dismissively before going out front to the main area to open the door. Rather than being greeted by a flux of customers, I had her exchange pleasantries with someone I assumed worked for her.
I listened as they talked before they both walked back to the kitchen.
“…so this is him” Reyna smiled as she walked in with a petite blonde girl. “Cassia Delgado this is Sergio Ramos our new cleaner and maintenance man. Sergio this is Cassia she’s a manager slash waitress her” she introduced as me and Cassia shook hands.
Cassie and I made small talk as Reyna got back to what she had previously been doing. Once we finished our conversation Cassia went out to the front to get ready to for the early morning customers.
“She’s the only employee?” I asked as Reyna nodded wordlessly. “She seems nice” I commented as Reyna stopped what she was doing before turning to me.
“I don’t have a rule about employees seeing each other but if you did have something going on I expect you to keep it professional at work” she stated before turning back around and continuing with her pastries.
I scoffed at her comment before answering.
“I just made a comment and you think I want to date her?” I complained.
“Well a guy like you doesn’t make that kind of comment without implying something by it” she answered without looking at me.
I was left flabbergasted at her commented as I prepared my fury.
“Look here Reyna I don’t know what guys you’ve been around but you know nothing about me. I can make a comment about a girl being nice and it doesn’t mean I want to sleep with her. Not everyone has an ulterior motive when they speak” I snapped before walking out of the kitchen in to the alley to get some fresh air.
Who the fuck does she think she is to judge me? She barely knows me.
***
Reyna’s POV
I jumped as I listened to Sergio bang the door and walk out of the kitchen of the bakery. I knew what I had said was wrong but I somehow I couldn’t stop the words slipping out. The way I reacted to the comment wasn’t his fault but rather a mechanism I had developed as a result of a rather toxic previous relationship. I knew I needed to apologise to Sergio about my reaction but not right now.
He needs some time to calm down and I need to figure out what I would say.
So as I collected my thoughts I braced myself for a hectic day of work.

“So I’m heading out now” Cassia stated awkwardly as she glanced between Sergio and I.
I nodded my head before saying my goodbyes while Sergio stood up and hugged her before saying bye.
I knew that action was just for show to I bit my tongue as I tried to stay calm.
Once Cassia left silence filled the bakery as I cleaned out the till and Sergio waited for me so we could go home.
I knew that this would be the perfect time for me to apologise to him but somehow I couldn’t admit to being sorry so I kept quite hoping somehow Sergio would forget about it.
“So when can I expect my apology?” Sergio interrupted as I collected my belongings.
“I…I...” I began as I opened and closed my mouth repeatedly.
“You know what? Forget it” he snapped before standing up and preparing to walk out the door.
“Sergio wait” I called as I finally bit the bullet and prepared to apologise. He turned to face me as he waited for me to speak. “I just want to say I’m sorry about this morning. It was out of line and I’m sorry” I offered as he started back blankly.
“And…?” he continued as he waited for me to continue.
“And what?” I look back confused as he raised an eyebrow. I knew what he was referring to so I just shrugged before asking him to sit so we could talk.
“Why did you think I was trying to get in her pants?” he questioned once we were seated. I sighed before answering his question.
“Because that’s how it starts right? A guy makes a comment about how a beautiful or girl is and next thing you know you walk in on your boyfriend and best friend doing it on your bed” I admitted as his eyes looked on in shock.
“Do you mean…” he questioned and I nodded.
“Yep I walked in on my best friend doing the deed with my boyfriend. I honestly don’t know why I was surprised though considering how overly friendly he was towards her. He never complimented or supported me the way he did with her” I admitted as Sergio looked on sadly.
I hated that look so I quickly stood up, not wanting to be pitied by him. Sergio however reacted by simply pulling me back down onto my seat.
“He’s an ass” he commented as I laughed. “and just because he didn’t see what a good thing he had with you and what a good person you are doesn’t mean that all men are that way” he complimented me as I blushed. “Since we are in the spirit of sharing I thought I should just lay it all out on the table. A few months ago I would have acted like you ex. Compliment a girl then try to get her into bed” he admitted as he shook his head in disappointment.
“What’s changed?” I said a little too quickly.
“I’ve hit rock bottom and I’m not sure if I can ever get out of this” he sighed.
I felt sorry for him as I listened to him speak his mind about how he had been feeling about who he had become. As I listened to Sergio speak I realised where weren’t that different after all. We had both lost everything but in different forms. He had lost the material things that he used to define himself with while I lost the man I used to think made me who I am.
“Thanks for taking me in and giving me a chance and just…everything that you’ve helped me with” Sergio said as he reached over to grip my hand.
“You don’t have to thank me. We’ve both helped each other in a way” I smiled as looked down at our hands.
Did my heart just skip a beat when he touched my hand?
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued…