Status: Updates are as frequent as possible.

American Soldier

First Taste of Combat

The flight was long but we all arrived in Afganistan. The place was nothing more than a soft dirt ground with a few trees and light green colored grass plus some rocky terrain and desert like with a military base. We got off the plane with our bags and formed our ranks when a Capitan ordered us to attention. He welcomed us to the 145th Combat Infantry Unit before giving an order to a Corporal beside him to show us to our barracks.

"Capitan Rollins asked me to tell you to put on the uniforms that are on your bunks and make sure the Rucksacks are filled with the list that I've provided along with your Assault Packs." The Corporal informed us before he left. In the barracks were nothing but women and I can finally say that I agree with the military when they split up the men from the women. At least they had some decency.

I changed out of my Class A's and got into my DBU's. Everything was so heavy! I had a load bearing harness vest that kept all my bullets, my combat knife, and grenades; A gun holster my two .45 caliber sidearm pistols; Two full canteens with covers for insulation and cup, a compass with a case, six 30 round magazines, complete Kevlar gear, a notebook with a pencil and pen, map and protractor, two snap links, a pair of black gloves, and a first aid pouch.

I folded up my nice uniform and placed it inside a footlocker that was beside my bunk before moving on to check my Rucksack and Assault Pack. I picked up the list and looked through the Rucksack first and I had everything I needed packed away inside. Now for my Assault Pack. Damn there sure is a lot of stuff in here. I have a waterproof bag that would contain two more pairs of socks and one t-shirt, poncho liner, two more MRE's, ammo, two razors, a weapon cleaning kit, a sleep shirt, and a night vision device plus one AT4 and two 60mm RDS. I placed all the items into the huge field pack bag that looked more like a heavy duty back pack and zipped it up. I picked up the bag and I could now tell how heavy it was with everything inside. Man I don't see how seasoned soldiers carry all of this stuff but we need it. I pulled on the tan colored boots just as the door swung open and we all stood at attention for the Colonel and Capitan.

"Alright Ladies, grab your packs and head over to the armory to pick up your weapons and ammunition along with your dog tags and ID cards. Once that is done report in front of the Mess Hall."

"Yes sir!" we yelled in unison. The Colonel and Capitan left and we all gathered up our packs. Damn these were heavy on my back. Let's just hope I never have to run in with this.

We left our barracks and went over to the armory. As we passed the Mess Hall, there were men dressed in the same BDU's as us and I guess that's who we'll be joining. We entered the armory where a Major explained our weapons and had several Privates giving them to us along with ammo clips to put into our vests then we were given our dog tags and ID cards that had our rank, name, and birthdate on them. I guess that was for when we went into a city for R&R. I followed behind the other women as we went over to join the men in front of the Mess Hall. The same Colonel and Capitan that came to our barracks was waiting with a Lieutenant.

"Good afternoon troops. I'm Colonel Mulligan, this is Capitan Rollins, and your Squad Leader Lieutenant Kentworth. Under normal circumstances we would let you all rest for a day but we have to put up more patrols and combat fighters to keep the area secure from the Taliban. They've been running our Platoons ragged and I'm not going to sugar coat the seriousness of battle. Men and Women will die out there and you'll see things in villages that you wouldn't dare dream of happening but it does. Watch your back and watch the back of your comrades in arms. Lieutenant, would you like to say something to the men?"

"Yes sir. All I have to say to you men and women is that you follow my orders. If I tell you to do something just do it whether you think it's right or not. Now get on the truck." the Luey said and to me he seemed a bit snooty or maybe he's just a plain old asshole...well young asshole. I have a feeling a few people in this squad will clash with the Lieutenant.

We loaded into the back of the troop truck with our weapons and headed to our patrolling destination. I looked around but there was nothing but open land and rocky hillsides. The truck stopped as we entered into a town where our Luey ordered us off the truck and we spread out with our weapons on alert. There were children playing in the dirt street and some came running up to us and asking for something in their language. I couldn't understand them so we just politely smiled at them and kept on patrolling through the town.

The places was fairly quiet and some of the guys were talking amongst themselves as we walked around town. We rounded a corner of a building to walk down to the main street again when a shot whizzed through the air and struck one of the men sending him to the dirt. Everyone took cover as gun fire rang out. I fired back seeing some of the Taliban who were shooting at us. The soldier who was hit was yelling at us to help him but no one was moving to go and get him. I thought we were supposed to help our comrades? I sighed and made a run towards the fallen soldier. I tugged on him with every ounce of strength I had and I pulled him through the dirt. I heard another wizz of a bullet and then a slight sting to the side of my head. I ignored the pain and pulled him out of harm’s way.

"What the hell did you think you were doing Sergeant? I didn't get you an order to go out there!"

"I'm sorry Lieutenant but that man would have died if I didn't. We're supposed to protect one another not leave them in the street to die!" I stated and he had our radio man call in for the medevac.

"Alright new keep firing!" Lieutenant Kentworth said and I raised my weapon and took out a few more insurgents. For someone who's experiencing their first taste or combat...I've done pretty well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? I'm trying to update at least twice a day but guess what! The guys are coming in the next chapter!