Status: Updates are as frequent as possible.

American Soldier

Graduation

Today is my day off and Payge still hasn't talked to me about my decision to be a Marine. I don't know why she's being so stubborn about this but I guess she gets that from mom. Our mom used to be one hard headed woman. Once she got her mind on something that she didn't agree with, it was hard to get her off of it. Dad had experienced her stubbornness on more than one occasion when she...was alive. I took our laundry down to the laundry room and put them into the washer. Usually I would leave them here to wash and go back up to the apartment but with the way Payge is acting...I'm just going to give her some space.

When the clothes had finished washing, I loaded them into the dryer to dry before putting another load of clothes on to wash. I sat back down in a chair and was going to continue reading from my History book when Payge walked into the room.

"Hey sis." Payge said as she sat down next to me.

"Your clothes will be done in a few minutes."

"Blaze, I didn't come down here to check if my clothes were done. I wanted to talk to you about joining the military." she said in a soft tone of voice.

"Payge, there's nothing that you can say that's going to change my mind. I know what's best for you."

"I know sis and I agree with you." she said smiling.

"What?"

"You should go when they call you. I've been thinking about what you said and you're right. It will give us a better support system and with the money we can get us a real place to live." she explained and i really couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"What changed your mind?"

"When you told you joined the Marines, I was pissed...and afraid. I didn't want to be left alone but after researching information about the Marines and the military in general...I seen what a great opportunity it will bring us." she said and it brought a smile to my face.

"You really think so?"

"Yes Blaze. I'll be fine here on my own. I'll have work to keep me busy and my friends to keep me company on my off days." she said smiling and she hugged me. This is going to take some serious time to let what she just said soak in.


I can still remember that day like it was yesterday. Payge surprised me that day and now my graduation is tomorrow. My graduating class had practiced the opening ceremony all day and now I'm going into work. I had talked to my manager and explained to them about the call I will be receiving for basic training and I asked him that when I'm shipped overseas if they would allow my sister to take my place so they wouldn't have to go through a whole new hiring process. Thankfully he agreed and Payge was grateful.

"Don't get into any trouble while I'm at work." I said teasingly.

"Me get into trouble? I can't believe you would even think that."

"Alright Miss Sarcasm. I'll see you later on tonight." I said chuckling.

"Have a great time."

"Oh more sarcasm." I said as I left the apartment. Now it's off to work...which might be my last day but who knows.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is graduation day! I swear today could not get here fast enough. My graduating class has worked so hard in getting all the credit points and practicing the opening ceremony but now all that hard work is going to pay off. I stood in line with my classmates awaiting our cue to walk into the stadium. Several people were getting impatient and I could honestly say I was too but I was also a little bit nervous. The music started and we could finally walk through the entrance and take our seats. There were a whole bunch of people sitting in the stands to watch their children, brothers, and sisters all walk across the newly built stage to receive their certificates of graduation.

We took our seats and the ceremony started. I was getting very bored while the principal and superintendent of the school district talked. The staff was finally giving out the diplomas to the honor students and now it's our turn. The way the graduation ceremony was set up was that the first row would go up and the second row would stand until the first row was seated then that would proceed with the next row and the next row.

"Blaze Katrine Rossi." the woman said calling out my name. I walked over to her and she handed me my diploma. Payge screamed and cheered her head off as I walked across the stage and back to my seat. I held the diploma in my hand and I was so proud of myself and I knew mom and dad were looking down at me so proud as well.

"Ladies and Gentleman, I'm proud to introduce Huntington Beach High School's Class of 2014." Everyone cheered as we threw our caps up into the air. I collected my cap and went to find Payge. I didn't have to work tonight so to celebrate, we're going out to a nice restaurant to eat. Now I just have to wait for the order to come to basic training.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments! Thank you to my only commenter and please keep them coming!