Status: Updates are as frequent as possible.

American Soldier

A Tearful Goodbye

Boot Camp was rough as hell. Every morning at the crack of dawn, my company was startled awake by our Drill Sergeant for calisthenics and 10 to 15 mile hikes plus going through one muscle breaking obstacle course. It sure was brutal and thanks to some of the others who didn't want to follow orders, we got treated like dog shit but we all made it through every grueling session. When I graduated from basic training, I swear all the aches and pains were worth it. I've never felt this good or even been in this good of shape in my life. I certainly wasn't in shape when I arrived at Camp Pendleton.

When I came home, Payge barely recognized me. I waved off her complimenting on how good I looked but the one thing I regretted about going to basic training was that I missed Payge's 16th birthday. I wished for days that I could have been there to give her a party but she understood how important the training was to me. I've been home a little over three weeks and I haven't got one phone call from my superiors. I know when that call does come Payge is going to be saddened but we can keep in touch with letters and maybe a few phone calls. I did come back to work after training and all of my co-workers asked me about the training and they told me there was no way they could live without their phones, cosmetics products, or whatever but I could really care less.

I clocked out before hanging up my apron next to the time clock. Some of my regular customers told me that they would miss my serving once I had to leave but they thanked me for wanting to serve my country. I really appreciated their comments. I left the diner and got into my car for the drive to the high school. I'm going to pick up Payge first that way she wouldn't have to walk home today. I sat outside of the building as students piled out of the school. I waved my hand as Payge came out of the double door. She seen me and came running over with a smile on her face.

"What are you doing here? I thought you had to work all day?" Payge asked getting into the passenger seat.

"I was supposed to but the boss man let me leave early because he seen I had caught up in my hours so I thought I would pick you up so you wouldn't have to walk home."

"Thanks! Are you working tomorrow?" she asked as I drove us home.

"Nope. I finally have a day off."

"Sweet. I was wondering if we could go down to the beach tomorrow." she said zipping up her back pack.

"That all depends on how much homework you have for this weekend."

"Don't worry all I have to do is read four chapters and write a report about what I read. I can have that done tonight." Payge explained as I pulled into my parking space at our apartment. We got out of the car and went to our apartment where Payge went into her room to start on her homework. I went into the kitchen to fix dinner for us. I was almost done cooking when the phone began to ring. I wiped my hands off and hurried into the living room grabbing up the phone.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hello. Can I speak with Miss Blaze Rossi?"

"That's me. Who's this?" I questioned the strange man's voice.

"Miss Rossi, this is Major Bengal. I got your paperwork from Camp Pendleton."

"Yes sir. Did everything check out all right?" I asked the Major.

"Yes ma'am. I'm just calling to let you know that you'll need to report to Travis Air Base in three days to ship out."

"Thank you sir. I'll be there." I said and I hung up the phone before going back into the kitchen to finish up with dinner. I heard Payge's bedroom door open and close. Time to tell her that I'm leaving again.

"Who was on the phone?"

"Major Bengal. He received my paperwork from Camp Pendleton." I said and Payge hung her head.

"When are you leaving?"

"I'm supposed to report to Travis Air Force Base in three days to ship out." I said breathing out a short sigh.

"I understand. I swear I've told myself over and over again to prepare for this moment but...but I don't want you to go Blaze." Payge looked up at me with tears in her eyes and I reach over and wiped them away.

"Sis don't cry. I'll be able to write you and maybe get in a few phone calls."

"What if something happens to you? How would I be able to go on?" she asked in a panic as more tears began to flow from her eyes.

"Nothing is going to happen to me. I'll be perfectly fine and I'll be home before you know it."

"You promise?" she inquired while wiping her eyes.

"I promice. Now eat up before the food gets cold. I have a lot of things to do over the next two days."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the last two days, I've spent most of my time with Payge but otherwise I was packing the necessary items I would need and arranging the deal with my manager at work for Payge to take my place. I was dressed into my Class A uniform and I stood in the ranks with my comrades. Our Drill Sergeant was calling out our names to give us our earned ranks before we had to board a plane.

"Cadet Blaze Rossi, front and center!" I walked through the ranks until I was standing fae to face with him.

"I'm honoring you with the rank of Sergeant."

"Thank you sir!" I said saluting him after he pinned my rank onto my collar. I walked back the same way I came and I was pretty happy with the rank I had gotten. I was thinking I would at least be a Corporal like the others but this is better.

When everyone received their ranks, we were given a few minutes to say goodbye to our loved ones. Payge again was teary eyed and I could tell she didn't want to say goodbye.

"Payge I'll be fine." I said hugging her tightly.

"I know you will. I'm just going to miss you something awful."

"I'm going to miss you too Payge but this is not goodbye. You'll never have to say that." I said and with the way her arms were locked around me, she wasn't ready to let me go.

"Alright soldiers! Everyone on the plane!" I let go of Payge and she walked with me to where I would get on.

"I'll send you every check I get and I want them used to pay only for your car insurance and the rent."

"My car?" Payge asked confused. I pulled the key to my car from my pocket and placed them into her hand.

"Yes. Happy belated Birthday. I won't be needing it now but please take care of it."

"I will sis. I give you my word on that." I waved goodbye and I boarded the plane with my duffle bag. I found me a seat and looked out the small window as Payge stared down at her hands. I am going to miss her but she'll do fine without me. Now I have an extra insinuative...I have to come home alive.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments? Not to many more chapters to go until the boys come into play!