Sequel: Beyond
Status: Complete. Sequel is up now.

Avidity

Risks

John had cooked lemon chicken with rice. When he set the plate down in front of Eden, she glanced at him. As she started to eat, he poured her another glass of wine. That made three. He smiled at the thought of knowing she was definitely feeling the effects, but trying to not let it show.

Perhaps she knew, deep down, that she was in danger. She was a lawyer, after all; she was smart, she knew the risks of going home with a stranger, even one as charming as John Hayes. He had put on a facade for many women, for many years, and it didn't take long for his true nature to show.

Except there was something different about Eden.

"Hey, are you okay?"

She was looking at him strangely, her mouth crooked and her eyes narrowed.

"Fine" he replied. "How are you enjoying your meal? It's been a while since I cooked for another person."

"It's good." She smiled and twirled the wine in her glass. "This wine is delicious. What kind is it?"

"Cabernet," John answered. "I've had it forever, I just needed an excuse to open it."

Eden nodded. "I'm not a big wine drinker, so I should stop after this one. Your home is really lovely. It's a shame you live alone. Have you always?"

"I had a girlfriend, but things didn't work."

Because she found out who I was.

"I'm sorry," she said. After a moment, she asked, "What happened tonight, John?" She pushed away from the table and leaned against the counter.

He frowned. "I wish I knew."

I killed him for you.