‹ Prequel: Just for a Moment
Sequel: Misplaced Words
Status: This story is complete but being revised. Part four is now in progress ♥

Dizzy Hurricane

Behind Closed Doors

As I sat on the bus on the way to Ally’s house, I wondering if today would turn out better then the last time we went over did. I mean Ally barely paid any attention to me while in her apartment or Dave & Buster’s either. I mean we hardly talk anymore. I am sure she has a good reason, she is probably just busy. I look over at Vic and smile.

“I wonder if she’ll be excited when we get there, how do you think she’ll react?” I ask excitedly.

He simply shrugs and looks out the window.

“Whose to tell? We’ll find out when we get there.”

I nod and lean my head on his shoulder, trying to fall asleep. He shifts, moving closer to the window. He’s acting weird today. I pull my legs up onto the set and pull them closer to me, leaning back to get comfortable. I do not know what is up with Vic today, but I don’t like it. I want his attention to be on me. I want him to wrap his arms around me, pull me close to him and tell me how much better he can be for me than Reggie. Now, Vic has never done anything like that with me, but how I would love for him to. The most that has happened between us is that amazing kiss in the elevator the day we went to see Ally. Since then he has been pretty distant.

The day of the concert back in November, I rushed to hug him and congratulate him on his success. He gave me a quick and cheap hug though, telling me that he didn’t feel so well. I caught him later on that day, trying to call Ally. She didn’t pick up for whatever reason, her phone probably died or something. I could tell he left a voicemail because his words were rushed, whatever he as saying. All I heard was “please Ally, call me back.” As far as I know, she never called him back. Maybe that’s why he seems bummed; maybe she’s upset at him about something and she doesn’t want to talk to him. I don’t know what she would be mad about. If I were her, I’d probably be mad because he doesn’t visit often. Yeah, that should be it.

When we get to her apartment building Vic’s weary feeling gets transferred over to me. He lets out a big sigh, letting a small smile form on his face. It’s weird how he can just seem to push aside his problems at any given moment. When we get into the elevator I push Ally’s floor number and turn to face him.

“Okay, what’s going on with you?” I ask, crossing my arms.

“Nothing, I am fine.” He shifts his weight between his feet.

“Don’t lie to me bestie westie.” I pout at him.

He gives me a look, “No, no bestie westie ever again.” He laughs, “Look, Naomi, I. . .”

Then the elevators door open and he stops talking. I, what?!? He was already walking down the hall towards Ally’s door. I knock on her door hesitantly when I get to it. I totally did not consider the fact that she might be out at the moment. Maybe she’s running errands, shopping, or hanging out with her new friends. Ugh, I hope she did not replace me.

I hear a muffled laugh before the door flies open. Ally is dressed in a tank top and short pajama shorts, talking on the phone with someone. Her smile quickly changes to a shocked expression.

"Hold on a sec," she whispers into the phone. She puts it down on the couch and turns her attention back to us. "Hey guys," she says, stretching out the words, "nice of you to pay me a visit."

"Yeah, aren't we great," I smile, greeting her with a hug.

She hugs me back then pulls away to welcome us inside. It's so weird that she has to 'welcome' us into her apartment, since we don't live in the same dorm anymore. She picks the phone up again, telling the person that she'll call them back later, and then hangs up.

"So," she says, rocking back and forth on her tiptoes and heels of her feet, "what brings you guys here? Special occasion? News?"

"Just wanting to hang out with our best friend," Vic pipes up. "You know, since we didn't get any time with you last time."

Ally puts a hand on her hip and gives Vic a once over.

"Sorry for wanting to spend time with my sister after not seeing her for about five months. Not to mention that I was half scared to death because I was worried that her cancer would keep her cooped up in her room."

My gosh, you can really feel the tension in the room. Vic just stares at her, a look on his face likes he's trying to figure out what is wrong with her. I clear my throat obnoxiously to change the moody atmosphere that was in the room.

"Well I hope you didn't have any plans today, because today is going to be our bestie day." I walk up to her and wrap my arm around her shoulder. "We're going to hang out for real this time. Maybe we can check out the mall or something. Food court," I sing, waggling my eyebrows at her.

She sighs and finally puts on a smile, letting out an annoyed chuckle.

"Sure, we can go to the mall. Let me go get dressed."

She disappears into her room and shuts the door behind her, starting to sing loudly. I turn to Vic who was still staring at the spot where she stood.

"All this time and I still can't figure this girl out," he says, cracking a smile.

"All you need to know is one thing;" I point a finger in his face, "food will make her happy."

"Unless of course she's lost her appetite," he mumbles. I nod and plop down on the couch waiting for her to come out of her room. He helps himself to the box of crackers that was on her kitchen counter and opens the fridge. "Want anything?"

"No, I'm good," I say, noticing the picture on the coffee table and examine it; this wasn't here when I visited before the school year started.

It's a picture of the entire group out in the field on a sunny day. I remember taking this picture. I was standing on the other side of Jack, who had his arm around her waist. They were still together then, and happy. It's weird seeing him around with a new girl. Well I mean, she's not so new anymore - she is having his baby. I try not to get close to her as a silent loyalty to Ally, but Tania is just so likable. My eyes dart over to Vic who was on the other side of her, giving a thumbs up.

I carefully put the frame down on the table, thinking about how much of a dilemma this girl must have had. The poor girl loves Jack and...well I'm not exactly sure how she feels about Vic anymore, she hasn't brought it up. My stomach starts to churn as Ally walks out of her room, fully dressed and ready to embrace the cold December air. She rolls her eyes and snatches the box of crackers out of Vic's hands.

"What is with you people helping yourselves to my food whenever you visit?"

“Sorry, I wanted something to munch on,” he says with a lopsided smile.

“You’ll eat when we get to the mall, c’mon,” she starts to walk away.

“Wait Ally,” he groans, grabbing her arm, “I need to talk to you,” he shifts to look in my direction, “alone.”

Ally looks back at me suspiciously then turns back to him and nods.

“We won’t be long,” she tells me as she walks past me towards her room. “I have mini muffins in the cabinet if you want,” she whispers to me, giving me a wink.

As soon as her room door shut I turned the TV on and turned the volume up just enough to block out their voices. No matter how much its picking at me to eavesdrop into their conversation, I have to mind my business. When an episode of ‘Awkward.’ ends, I notice the time and realize that we’ve been here for an hour and they’re still not out of that room. Why does Vic have to take today of all days to talk about something serious with her? We’re supposed to be hanging out - together!

I roll my eyes and walk over to the kitchen to grab one of those mini muffin packs from the cabinet. As I’m taking one out, I can hear Ally’s voice, but muffled from the walls. My curiosity takes over as I press my head against the wall to hear what they were talking about.

“..I don’t know what to do, Vic...” I barely make out from Ally’s voice.

“Has he tried to hurt you?” I hear say Vic clearly.

“No, I try to avoid him for as much as I can, I can just feel like he’s watching me or something,” Ally rushes through her words, a bit of sadness in her voice.

I wonder what they are talking about.

“I still don’t understand why you were trying to push me away Ally,” Vic says, raising voice. “Why didn’t you tell me sooner? I could’ve been there for you. I can’t believe he-”

He stops as soon as I managed to drop one of the pans that were on top of the stove. It clattered a few times before I got to pick it up. I place it back on the stove and stuff two mini muffins in my mouth, trying to look casual. Ally rushes out of the room and comes to the kitchen, pushing her hair behind her ear.

“What happened?” she sniffles.

“I was just...”I mumble, taking in her puffy eyes and hoarse voice. I clear my throat and point to the pan, “I dropped it by accident, while I was getting a pack of muffins.”

“Oh okay,” she says, taking one out for herself. “I guess we can go to the mall now,” she opens it, and then turns to give Vic look.

He was leaning on her door frame with his arms crossed. He gave her a curt nod then looked down at his feet.

“Cool,” she gives me a small smile, “let’s go have that bestie day you wanted.”

I follow them out into the hallway and into the elevator. What had Ally told him that he got so mad? Why didn’t she tell me anything about it? Does it have to do with me? I wish I was filled in so I can help her in whatever way I can. She looks hurt, and I can’t do anything about it. By the way Vic got upset it could tell that it was something she held in, so maybe it was hard for her to tell him. I should be the next one in line to know. She’ll tell me as soon as she feels comfortable to, and then I can really support Ally. I’m just glad that she wasn’t upset at the fact that I want Vic. I guess I can be totally dedicated to winning over Vic now.
♠ ♠ ♠
-K_K