The Most Important Rule

Chapter Four

"This is my room," I announced, dropping my bags on the floor, as if that officially made this my territory.

Rustan and I were in our new living quarters in New York.

Yes, that's right. Our living quarters, graciously assigned to us by D.a.r.c. You can be sure I threw one hell of a tantrum when I found out about this. The complex itself wasn't that bad, actually. D.a.r.c. had bought the entire building just for us. Rustan and I had two floors for our bedrooms, the bathroom, the living room...the whole shebang. The basement was dedicated to vampire-hunting weaponry, which I was pleased to find out.

Ten years ago, in 2008, having an entire building to yourself in the heart of NYU was unheard of. But now...things were different. With the vampires and werewolves running around the streets at night, people were constantly afraid. A lot of people moved out of New York in order to be safer. (However, there were still a decent amount of people here, and thus this was one of the best places for vampires to find food - but it also made it the best place to find and kill these vampires.) But this city - well, all cities in general - were becoming emptier. Plus, with the decreasing population...well, there just weren't that many people in general.

"Why do you get this room?" the vampire asked coldly, interrupting my thoughts as he walked in behind me.

"Because it’s the biggest," I answered, not turning around. "And it has the best view. And the best furniture. Basically, it's the best room we have."

Rustan scoffed. "You think you deserve the best?" he asked incredulously.

"Yep."

I could feel Rustan glaring at the back of my head. "I guess you think you're so great, don't you, Chaysie?" he glowered, putting emphasis on my full name.

"Shut up, Rustan. What kind of a name is that anyway? Or should I just keep calling you it?"

Actually, despite not wanting to give in to his request, I did find myself calling Rustan him rather than it. But I would never admit that to anyone.

"Enough about my name. I want this room," he decided.

"Well that's unfortunate," I replied coolly, "because you're not getting it." I turned around to leave to room - however, Rustan was stubbornly standing in the way of the door.

"Move before I decapitate you," I glowered.

He gave me an agitated look. "I'm not leaving until you give me this room," he stated. Apparently vampires are quite territorial.

"No. You can get the one downstairs. This is my room."

"I'll fight you for it," he offered. His tone was as low and unemotional as ever, but nonetheless I could hear the anger bubbling in his voice.

"I'd kill you before you could even bare your fangs."

"I'd like to see you try."

There's one thing Rustan probably should have known about me. I am very stubborn and touchily proud. If someone challenges me, I will take them up on it.

Without a moment's hesitation, I darted over to the window. The curtains were drawn shut, blocking any light from coming in; however, I knew that it was noon and the sun was out and shining.

Rule #10: Every good hunter must know that sunlight is a vampire's greatest weakness. It is the fastest and most effective way of killing one.

"If you don't leave," I warned menacingly, "I'll open the curtains."

Rustan raised an eyebrow, looking as if he was amused by my threat. "Go ahead," he dared.

I narrowed my eyes at him - was he being serious? With just a small movement I could easily kill him.

Oh well.

With one huge, sweeping movement of my arm I pulled back the curtains. The sun beamed into the room, pouring light onto every surface. The room was now so bright it would make even a human's eyes hurt.

I expected Rustan to burst into ash, perishing from the sun's dangerous touch.

But nothing happened.

He just...stood there. He looked almost bored.

"You're not..." I said slowly, giving him a confused, almost terrified, look as a sickening realization poured over me. "...You're not a vampire."